"...we are just running at a f*cking wall, I think, and we're gonna crash on that wall really soon" - CDPR on 'AAA' RPG's

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
Y'all derailed this thread something fierce. :mjlol:

Speaking of which, this moron actually mentioned the tricks they used for the Witcher 3 and instead of actually trying to work around the massive problems they were facing, they ran straight into them because they wanted a tech demo. :dwillhuh:

The solution really is that obvious, at some point they gotta look at their project and pick wtf is their priority. They gotta compromise.

The more I look at this, the more it looks like raw incompetence instead of a real issue.

With that said...

Western audiences are trash is basically what I’m getting. All the open world shyt with trash storytelling and repetitive item collecting puts me to sleep. And it’s CDPR’s damn fault in the first place for trying to promise entirely too much. They leaned into it being a cyberpunk GTA, they didn’t lean away from it.
"Follow the money" still applies in this case. Metroid Dread and RE2R got absolutely shat on for being short, replayable games, despite being very good, by the same people that eat up this garbage. I don't really blame the suits for trying to get the bag off this bs, it's their job.

It mostly sucks for us because a lot of good studios are out there getting Rare'd. We're already seeing the effects of it.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Y'all derailed this thread something fierce. :mjlol:

Speaking of which, this moron actually mentioned the tricks they used for the Witcher 3 and instead of actually trying to work around the massive problems they were facing, they ran straight into them because they wanted a tech demo. :dwillhuh:

The solution really is that obvious, at some point they gotta look at their project and pick wtf is their priority. They gotta compromise.

The more I look at this, the more it looks like raw incompetence instead of a real issue.
they talked about how the seamless first person experience was important to them. but yeah, it seems like it was more complicated than they anticipated

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
all this is are xbox stans pretty much making peace with themselves that stuff like gamepass can only support indie and AA projects. Its like how Netflix started stuff like House of Cards, Bloodline, Orange is the New Black, Daredevil, etc.

And now their biggest shows are The Circle, Love is Blind, MTV Reality shows and Comedy specials. They basically realized they get more viewership with low effort- low budget programming, and they even cut back at releasing full seasons on day 1. They know their service isn’t sustainable if they only bank on bigger budget and quality programming where they have to constantly renew contracts.

Its the same thing that is slowly happening with gamepass. They are finding they can get just as much attention through games that go viral like high on life, or sleezy shyt like atomic heart. Low budget cheap humor games. They are going to start putting Activision, Bethesda stuff on there and realize the subs aren’t going up like they thought and pivot even further into cheaper, faster to make games.

All this push back against AAA and big budgets and production times are tied to the gamepass methodology, because its not sustainable for a platform that pushes quantity over quality
Imagine thinking that MICROSOFT can only afford to make double A games at best out of all the companies

:mjlol:

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
they talked about how the seamless first person experience was important to them. but yeah, it seems like it was more complicated than they anticipated
Exactly. Tech demo shyt.

Had they accepted they couldn't quite get it done yet and saved it for a sequel or whatever, they could've worked around it and improved the story, gameplay or even released a game that actually worked.

Instead, we got a seamless first-person view of the game spontaneously combusting at every turn. :mjlol:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Imagine thinking that MICROSOFT can only afford to make double A games at best out of all the companies

:mjlol:

Its not about what they can afford it’s what they aren’t willing to keep losing. Microsoft could also afford not to lay off 10k employees, and not charge 70 dollars for games, and not artificially increase the price of the series x by bundling it with a two year old game on their service.

Microsoft could have been spending their money better over the last decade and they haven’t.

But here we are. They became a trillion dollar company because they are fiscally conservative not because they love hemorrhaging money. If you’re trying to keep people subscribed over long periods of time to a subscription service making bigger, more expensive games is like the antithesis to that.

Last edited:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
And I think we've accidentally trained audiences to think that way too—that if you have the best cinematics you're the highest quality game. What is quality? I don't want to interrogate how you judge a game, but there's so many things that make a game good. I prefer to focus on emotionality, like what actually reaches into a person and grabs them and makes them remember Morte, 20 years later, as opposed to, 'Wow, I could see the sunlight off of that water in that cutscene with that waterfall mist.'"
:manny: Duh. That's what many gamers swear by though. The technological bullshyt.

And that's also why AAA titles are AAA titles. The technological bullshyt.

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
It's clear stan wars is the traffic driver here. No reason a thread about multiplat AAA should devolve into stan wars.

Sub lacking diversity.
Been lacking since 2014. breh. Same people for a decade. I quit the stan wars, Rekka quit, new soldiers showed up, some got banned, some came back.