Watching this World Cup, I wish the US was a football/soccer powerhouse

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
I hate this logic from soccer purists that size and speed doesnt matter. This is the United States, if we start caring about soccer and put the money into it we WILL be the best. Does skill matter? Obviously but fast, strong AND skilled will always be better than just skills. nikkas use comparisons about the athletic African teams that suck but guess what? They dont have the money for elite coaches that the U.S. has. Look at international basketbal, African teams get beat by less athletic teams like Spain and Argentina yet the USA beats those teams because we have thr athleticism AND the skill. BTW no one better bring up how the US basketball team lost in the olympics in the early 2000's, we didnt have our best players.
Speed is absolutely crucial but size has always been a secondary attribute. Some of the best soccer players are under 5 ft 7... Maradonna was 5 ft 4

Soccer requires a different kind of athleticism.. The quickest players are the most dangerous.

Jamal514

In high demand
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
I would trade in quite a bit of Canada's hockey medals just to have a squad in the World Cup.

Bay Area

Raiders/Warriors/A's
Daps
Reppin
East Oakland
Speed is absolutely crucial but size has always been a secondary attribute. Some of the best soccer players are under 5 ft 7... Maradonna was 5 ft 4

Soccer requires a different kind of athleticism.. The quickest players are the most dangerous.
I feel you but are we gonna act like African Americans arent the quickest and most coordinated athletes in the world? Whether you are talking about straight line speed, agility, etc.. All im saying is history shows us that when African Americans embrace a sport we become the best. Maybe i have too much pride in my people but I dont think im saying anything too outlandish.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
Nah, the best players are usually manlets these days.

But yeah, all US soccer needs is just one WW superstar. They've still never been able to produce one.

I'm talking Top 10-20 type player.

Ronaldo is 6'1" without shoes, for comparison, Derrick Rose is 6'1" without shoes, and :youngsabo: is 6'2" without shoes.

The US is capable of producing heavier athletes that retain their explosiveness/athleticism.

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
I feel you but are we gonna act like African Americans arent the quickest and most coordinated athletes in the world? Whether you are talking about straight line speed, agility, etc.. All im saying is history shows us that when African Americans embrace a sport we become the best. Maybe i have too much pride in my people but I dont think im saying anything too outlandish.
Im not saying African Americans couldnt be sick wit it on the pitch.. Im just tired of hearing about the 'bball players if they tried soccer' scenario . soccer requires a completely different skillset. Maybe you could make an argument for point guards but that's about it.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
Im not saying African Americans couldnt be sick wit it on the pitch.. Im just tired of hearing about the 'bball players if they tried soccer' scenario . soccer requires a completely different skillset. Maybe you could make an argument for point guards but that's about it.

The argument is that if one of those two sports vanished and soccer was the alternative, the US would be much better than they are now.

Soccer requires a different skillset, but maybe some of the guys who couldn't make it to the NFL/NBA would have excelled at it instead.

You can make an argument for NBA PG/SGs, NFL WR/DBs as well, they all fit the body type of soccer players. And I see a lot of people saying soccer players are short, but somebody like Peter Crouch is 6'8" :mjpls:

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
If the US did find succes
The argument is that if one of those two sports vanished and soccer was the alternative, the US would be much better than they are now.

Soccer requires a different skillset, but maybe some of the guys who couldn't make it to the NFL/NBA would have excelled at it instead.

You can make an argument for NBA SGs, NFL WR/DBs as well, they all fit the body type of soccer players.
Yeah I buy that.

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Too much pride, breh. Too much pride. :mjlol:

Cacs are a force in soccer and the Olympics.

Bay Area

Raiders/Warriors/A's
Daps
Reppin
East Oakland
Yeah im not with the copy and paste basketball players into another sport crowd either. Im still not following the skillset logic though. Every major sport requires different skillsets. Lebron couldnt play professional baseball but that has nothing to do with the fact that African Americans have some of the best baseball players of all time (Bonds, Hank Aaron, etc). At the end of the I respect what you are saying though because neither of us will know the truth until it happens.

Bay Area

Raiders/Warriors/A's
Daps
Reppin
East Oakland
Too much pride, breh. Too much pride. :mjlol:

Cacs are a force in soccer and the Olympics.
Well first of all of course white people are a force in both soccer and the oympics, they are the majority. More players equals a higher chance of dominating. Secondly, nothing in your reply has anything to do with my post. When I brought up the olympics I was strictly talking about basketball which is a damn near all black team and there arent enough African American soccer players yet for you to even laugh at the idea of them dominating.

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well first of all of course white people are a force in both soccer and the oympics, they are the majority. More players equals a higher chance of dominating. Secondly, nothing in your reply has anything to do with my post. When I brought up the olympics I was strictly talking about basketball which is a damn near all black team and there arent enough African American soccer players yet for you to even laugh at the idea of them dominating.

European teams are made up of middle and upper class players:

robben3.gif

:mjpls: :blessed:

Last edited:

Bay Area

Raiders/Warriors/A's
Daps
Reppin
East Oakland
European teams are made up of cac middle and upper class players, and European teams generally dominate the World Cup.
So what you are saying is they dominate because they have money right? Imagine the day when we start investing millions into our youth with soocer the way high schools in Texas invest in football..

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So what you are saying is they dominate because they have money right? Imagine the day when we start investing millions into our youth with soocer the way high schools in Texas invest in football..

They have a soccer culture too. Euros have the best leagues, pays the best, and soccer brehs get all the bytches. A lot of their resources into soccer whereas that isn't the case in the USA.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
won't happen until the US gets a true passion for football :yeshrug: more specifically in "urban" areas.

most the the best football players around the world came from poverty. it's no coincidence one of the best players on the US team grew up in a trailer park in texas. :manny:

poor kids with no shoes play football in the streets in brazil n shyt. you don't see that in the US.

my theory has always been poor kids have a deeper passion for sports like football and basketball because when you're poor that's all you have so you play that sport from sun up to sun down which hones your skills more than middle-class kids who play it part-time.

the US needs to shed this middle class soccer mom image in America if the US really wants to become a powerhouse.

soccer_mom1.jpg
I guess we are talking about the men's game obviously because it doesn't seem to stop the women from being one of the best teams in the world