Watching this World Cup, I wish the US was a football/soccer powerhouse

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
imagine wiggins, parker, smart, etc etc from the draft this year all chose soccer instead basketball

Canon

Veteran
Daps
honestly I wish black people played soccer like we do football, basketball etc.

can you imagine a US team in the world cup full of swagged out nikkaz? imagine a nikka like JR smith celebrating after he scored a goal :laff:

rest of the world would be like :dwillhuh:
:wow:i wish

:blessed:we got the africans tho

King Jove

King Of †he Gawds
Daps
Reppin
[redacted]
Womens Soccer is thriving off that soccer mom shyt, its Mens soccer that hasnt caught on yet breh

womens soccer is thriving mainly because the united states puts more into womens sports like soccer and basketball more than other nations.

And few of the dominant cac European powerhouses you see in the WC today have players born in poverty. Robben, Robin Van Persie, etc were not born in poverty. Neither were the the Germans. There are a variety of top players who weren't born in poverty. I doubt the majority of top European players were born in abject poverty today. Brazil is one data point. GDP is correlated with international soccer success.

Also, poor people won't train for soccer in the US when they can train for baseball, basketball or football. There's no money and too much sacrifice involved when you can just play American sports.

a lot of poor people in the US don't even know about the possibilities that soccer can give you.

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
imagine wiggins, parker, smart, etc etc from the draft this year all chose soccer instead basketball

Soccer is about more than size and speed. This team might not win anything in soccer, as there are athletic teams in the World Cup every year who lose. Also, like I said, Americans will choose American sports like baseball and football before soccer.

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
a lot of poor people in the US don't even know about the possibilities that soccer can give you.

What are the possibilities? The best American squad player doesn't even player on a good European team. I think the highest Donovan went was Everton and they only kept him on loan. In essence he had to pack up and depart his country for near anonymity in Europe, live there, and then end up back in the USA.

King Jove

King Of †he Gawds
Daps
Reppin
[redacted]
What are the possibilities? The best American squad player doesn't even player on a good European team. I think he highest he went was Everton and he was only on loan. He had to pack up and leave his country just to get benched and ignored in some god awful British town.

i'm talking about the overall possibilities not the possibilities of current american players.

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
I played in middle school against someone who was a top 3 MLS draft pick recently (I was the only person who could defend him :wow:), and you could tell at the time that he was just a brilliant player, but I suspect his development was ruined with the weak competition around here. US talent needs to be shipped off to Europe early.
Back when I played, the best player in the city was this Mexican kid from the South Side. I only saw him play once but he was fukking astoundingly good. Like he played a different game then everyone else on the field. Dude could keep the ball in the air for extended periods of time and get any shot he wanted.

But yeah.. I think he eventually just got bored with soccer. the competition level was so low he wasn't being challenged. My friend played on his club team, a regional powerhouse and says he would get high before all the games and shyt :mjlol:
Keep in mind we're talking about the highest level of Youth Soccer and it still wasn't shyt. People were saying he could have made the MLS easily if he worked harder
Ship the muhfukka off to Europe and who knows what his ceiling could have been :wow:

Bay Area

Raiders/Warriors/A's
Daps
Reppin
East Oakland
Soccer is about more than size and speed. This team might not win anything in soccer, as there are athletic teams in the World Cup every year who lose. Also, like I said, Americans will choose American sports like baseball and football before soccer.
I hate this logic from soccer purists that size and speed doesnt matter. This is the United States, if we start caring about soccer and put the money into it we WILL be the best. Does skill matter? Obviously but fast, strong AND skilled will always be better than just skills. nikkas use comparisons about the athletic African teams that suck but guess what? They dont have the money for elite coaches that the U.S. has. Look at international basketbal, African teams get beat by less athletic teams like Spain and Argentina yet the USA beats those teams because we have thr athleticism AND the skill. BTW no one better bring up how the US basketball team lost in the olympics in the early 2000's, we didnt have our best players.

King Jove

King Of †he Gawds
Daps
Reppin
[redacted]
why do people act like basketball has no skill? it takes time and practice to be a good dribbler/ball handler in the nba. it takes time and practice to be able to have touch around the basket. it takes time and practice to be a good jumpshooter.

it doesn't matter how athletic you are it take skill to do this.

i'm not one of those people that think american athletes like lebron or adrian peterson could be great soccer players, i'm mainly just talking about interest and love for the sport. if the us had the same amount of passion for soccer as we do with basketball and similar passion for soccer as other countries, im confident we could have our own version of neymar. especially all these 5-10 and below americans that are told they are too small to play basketball or (american) football

Last edited:

Playeroni

Aka Nasty Neighbor #CREEPLIFE
Daps
Only thing that it made me realize is that I should have played soccer as a youngin. One of the few sports where you don't have to be physically dominant to be at the top
I've always said this. I use to play with the polish, Bosnian, and Arab kids and use to beast with the raw skills I had. Ma dukes ended up signing me up for a camp, I get there and I'm the only black kid there :upsetfavre: That didn't sit well with me and After that one day I was good. Went and signed up for little league. But it also sucks because I spent the majority of my time playing basketball, a sport I really didn't have a passion for.