Wasn't a Goddamn Thing Wrong With After Earth

Illeye buckmatic

I Don't Stunt I Regulate
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Buckeye State Of Mind
This is a great thread. He isn't saying it's the best movie ever or jaden is the next big actor. He's just pointing out black excellence. What's wrong with being proud of a black man writing,producing,and starring in is own movie:dwillhuh: Especially where he makes black history in this genre:ahh:
Even if there are hints of Scientology,the majority of the audience isn't going to know the intricate details of that study and won't pick up on it unless some critic points it out. During the movie nobody is going to think about Scientology:heh: The focus should be on the positive teachings a father gives to his son. Especially in a society where most black men are depicted as dead beat father's with baby mama drama:snoop: Hopefully this movie will encourage more black producers,writers and actors to play a larger part in this genre:obama:
:salute: To will Smith for continuing black excellence and ziggiy for dropping another dope thread.

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
In Pursuit Of Happyness Will's character was jobless, homeless, staying in shelters, and sacrificing his dignity just to prove to the Cac executives his worth. It was a good movie no doubt about triumph in the face of overwhelming odds, but After Earth was meant as something symbolically more. Will's character in After Earth was Noble, Heroic, and Courageous from the START of the film to the END. The only sacrifices he had to make were the internal sacrifices of letting go of his own guilt at his daughter's death and allowing himself to trust in and believe in his son. That in itself is a powerful message that speaks to black fatherhood in a forum that is NEVER seen through the viewpoints of black characters in Blockbuster action movies. White men were saluting and speaking of Will's character with NOTHING but the UPMOST respect, which is something that just 17 years ago wouldn't have been seen. Again I'm not talking about 1956, or 1976, I'm talking about 1996, where a black male starring in a Science Fiction blockbuster was such a foreign concept that Fox wanted Will Smith replaced from ID4 DESPITE his previous musical, television, and cinematic successes.

And yet you claim is there NO bias in showing a "positive" black father/son relationship? How many movies have been released showing such a relationship? Hell just THIS year in 2013 our big "moment" in black cinema was a film about a c00nish presidential manservant who spends half the film fighting with his son for joining the black Panther movement and starting trouble with white folk.:birdman: Another popular film from this year was the Oscar Grant based Fruitvale Station where a black father is murdered by police, leaving behind a daughter he was attempting to support and provide for. THESE are the depictions of "black" fatherhood that we get year end and year out, so don't come up in her with a bullshyt statement about there not being any bias against positive black father/son relationships while referencing a film from 2006 that coincidentally happened to star WILL SMITH.

Will Smith has been putting on for positive black fatherhood since Just The Two Of Us, the man is probably the greatest mainstream example of positive black fatherhood since Bill Cosby, he deserves the respect of the. African American community and DAMN sure deserved better support for After Earth than he was given. Again, you'll NEVER hear me say the movie was a spectacular masterpiece, but it was a solid Science Fiction blockbuster with an IMPORTANT message that deserved better recognition for being an achievement in mainstream black cinema

:damn:

preach brother

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
In Pursuit Of Happyness Will's character was jobless, homeless, staying in shelters, and sacrificing his dignity just to prove to the Cac executives his worth. It was a good movie no doubt about triumph in the face of overwhelming odds, but After Earth was meant as something symbolically more. Will's character in After Earth was Noble, Heroic, and Courageous from the START of the film to the END. The only sacrifices he had to make were the internal sacrifices of letting go of his own guilt at his daughter's death and allowing himself to trust in and believe in his son. That in itself is a powerful message that speaks to black fatherhood in a forum that is NEVER seen through the viewpoints of black characters in Blockbuster action movies. White men were saluting and speaking of Will's character with NOTHING but the UPMOST respect, which is something that just 17 years ago wouldn't have been seen. Again I'm not talking about 1956, or 1976, I'm talking about 1996, where a black male starring in a Science Fiction blockbuster was such a foreign concept that Fox wanted Will Smith replaced from ID4 DESPITE his previous musical, television, and cinematic successes.

And yet you claim is there NO bias in showing a "positive" black father/son relationship? How many movies have been released showing such a relationship? Hell just THIS year in 2013 our big "moment" in black cinema was a film about a c00nish presidential manservant who spends half the film fighting with his son for joining the black Panther movement and starting trouble with white folk.:birdman: Another popular film from this year was the Oscar Grant based Fruitvale Station where a black father is murdered by police, leaving behind a daughter he was attempting to support and provide for. THESE are the depictions of "black" fatherhood that we get year end and year out, so don't come up in her with a bullshyt statement about there not being any bias against positive black father/son relationships while referencing a film from 2006 that coincidentally happened to star WILL SMITH.

Will Smith has been putting on for positive black fatherhood since Just The Two Of Us, the man is probably the greatest mainstream example of positive black fatherhood since Bill Cosby, he deserves the respect of the. African American community and DAMN sure deserved better support for After Earth than he was given. Again, you'll NEVER hear me say the movie was a spectacular masterpiece, but it was a solid Science Fiction blockbuster with an IMPORTANT message that deserved better recognition for being an achievement in mainstream black cinema

You can champion this shyt all you want, the problem is it just wasn't that good of movie. Bottom fukking line. Pursuit of Happyness>>>>>>>>After Earth all fukking day and sci-fi is my favorite genre. Google Chris Gardner right now and thats something to clap for and create a thread about. I see what you saying about the lack of black father/son relationship in movies but this movie just wasn't that good at all IMO.

Last edited:

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
This is a great thread. He isn't saying it's the best movie ever or jaden is the next big actor. He's just pointing out black excellence. What's wrong with being proud of a black man writing,producing,and starring in is own movie:dwillhuh: Especially where he makes black history in this genre:ahh:
Even if there are hints of Scientology,the majority of the audience isn't going to know the intricate details of that study and won't pick up on it unless some critic points it out. During the movie nobody is going to think about Scientology:heh: The focus should be on the positive teachings a father gives to his son. Especially in a society where most black men are depicted as dead beat father's with baby mama drama:snoop: Hopefully this movie will encourage more black producers,writers and actors to play a larger part in this genre:obama:
:salute: To will Smith for continuing black excellence and ziggiy for dropping another dope thread.

:snoop:

Really? Look at the damn title of the thread. There is plenty wrong wit this movie and critics weren't bashing it cuz Will and his son are black and displaying Black Excellence. If anything Will is one of the most popular stars in Hollywood. They bashed it cuz the movie wasn't that good. Thats the thing all these mufukkas in here are cosigning all this shyt about bias and racism when the movie was just highly forgettable.

Illeye buckmatic

I Don't Stunt I Regulate
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Buckeye State Of Mind

Really? Look at the damn title of the thread. There is plenty wrong wit this movie and critics weren't bashing it cuz Will and his son are black and displaying Black Excellence. If anything Will is one of the most popular stars in Hollywood. They bashed it cuz the movie wasn't that good. Thats the thing all these mufukkas in here are cosigning all this shyt about bias and racism when the movie was just highly forgettable.

For me personally I'm just focusing on the positive aspects of the accomplishments will achieved and hoping it leads to others doing the same:yeshrug: As for the movie itself,I thought it was a good movie. :whoa:Not to be confused with an award winning movie but it was solid. If others don't agree with me on that,it's ok because we all have different taste. I'm just saying that we're under represented in this genre and its good to see one of our own doing big things.

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
For me personally I'm just focusing on the positive aspects of the accomplishments will achieved and hoping it leads to others doing the same:yeshrug:.

Yea no doubt...I hope so too cuz it is rare to see positive black father/son relationships in ANY movie. Only ones I can think of off the top is Boyz N the Hood, AE and Pursuit of Happyness. Its a shame actually. One a side note.....Zoe Kravitz :takedat:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Yea no doubt...I hope so too cuz it is rare to see positive black father/son relationships in ANY movie. Only ones I can think of off the top is Boyz N the Hood, AE and Pursuit of Happyness. Its a shame actually. One a side note.....Zoe Kravitz :takedat:
Its not just black people its all minorities. U dont hardley see any minority movies with these type of roles. Hollywood caters to white america and that's how its always been. Hispanics make up more of america than any minority and they are hardley in any leading roles. At least blacks have major stars in every facet of entertainment on huge levels. But that's because of the talent its obviously there but white people ain't gonna let minorities take over Hollywood we all know this.

Egomaniacal1

Director of the Federal Bureau of Instigation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Martin, TN

THIS.

OP in here arguing points NOBODY has even disputed.

Will putting his son on, ok we all cool with that.
Message of black man teaching his son to be strong and wise, we with that.
Cultural significance of black ass Will Smith writing and producing the flick, we see the Black Excellence. :salute:

nikkas are dumping on the flick because as a Sci-Fi film it was weak as fukk. shyt was just boring and i did see this when it was out just to support black too. I sat there and just kept waiting for something more to happen. Sci-fi is one of my favorite genres as well and I thought Oblivion was better than AE at least from a story standpoint because i did not see that twist coming. End of the day i don't see movies solely for some message or cultural significance, i watch to be entertained. Period. If a movie doesn't do that first and foremost, then it deserves all the criticism ppl feel it deserves.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps

:salute: to this man @Ziggiy

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby
Y'all want to see a nice Sci-fi flick with young black actors and a fairly positive message? Watch Attack the Block, and stop trying to justify this trash.