Wasn't a Goddamn Thing Wrong With After Earth

Daps
I only needed to see the thread title to know this was gonna be some delusional coli militant's rant about why they think the movie wasn't received well :snoop:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Percentages aren't as informative as averages, and even then they probably have to be weighted......but it doesn't matter, 5 > 3, but that's still out of 10...both movies got shyt on. Besides, if you still give two tenths of a fukk what the media thinks of anything pertaining to Black America.........I really don't know what else to tell you.

While I don't like WWW...........Men in Black II and Shark Tale were both the worst movies in his collection to me. Both FAR worse than WWW, and you could argue Seven Pounds from an ethical standpoint :manny:

Django was never advertised as anything but historical fantasy, it's a story set during the times of American slavery yes, but it was never intended to be some biographical tale of some real life hero. It's a story, as all movies are, but this one was original and not based on any prior work nor historical figure. White man or not, Django was dope and took no shots at us.

If After Earth has themes of BLACK progression and heroism, I'd like to hear them. Try not to spoil too much though, I plan on watching this once it hits redbox. I guess what I want to know is, if you substituted two white actors in the place of Will and Jayden, does the movie's central theme change? Did the movie make it CLEAR that it was an issue of BLACK progression and heroism?

Is BLACK progression because it's the FIRST film of its genre starring an African American father/son duo, written and produced by said star. There is ZERO progression in a movie like Django, it's simply one white man's fantasy of what slave vengeance would be. In After Earth Smith portrays a character who is dignified, respected, and considered a Hero within the film's mythology, his Son is intelligent and strives to connect with his father and in the end shows bravery and endurance through the face of extreme adversity. There is no c00ning, no overt silliness, and the subject matter is taken seriously. In an era where A major big budget motion picture about Egyptian Gods starring not one SINGLE person of African descent is green lit, a movie like After Earth is the epitome of Black Excellence

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
Is BLACK progression because it's the FIRST film of its genre starring an African American father/son duo, written and produced by said star. There is ZERO progression in a movie like Django, it's simply one white man's fantasy of what slave vengeance would be. In After Earth Smith portrays a character who is dignified, respected, and considered a Hero within the film's mythology, his Son is intelligent and strives to connect with his father and in the end shows bravery and endurance through the face of extreme adversity. There is no c00ning, no overt silliness, and the subject matter is taken seriously. In an era where A major big budget motion picture about Egyptian Gods starring not one SINGLE person of African descent is green lit, a movie like After Earth is the epitome of Black Excellence
I think we can all agree on that

We won't agree on Django, but it is what it is.

Well, I'll check it out, come back and give my thoughts on it. Preciate the feedback

ECA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I personally don't care for Will Smith movies, and a movie starring Jaden Smith doesn't interest me. :manny:

I will kindly support Mcqueen and Coogler flicks, though. And Django OWNED! Just like all Tarantino movies do

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Again I don't think people are understanding the cultural significance of a movie like After Earth.

Just 17 years ago, Fox executives did NOT want Will Smith as the hero in Independence Day. Roland Emmerich had to fight and stick to his guns on Smith's casting. Despite Smith's evolving success from Platinum rapper, Television Star, and burgeoning movie star with the Box Office successes of Bad Boys and the critical success of Six Degrees Of Separation they did NOT want an African American being the lead in a blockbuster....

That film went onto become the highest grossing film of 1996:mjpls:

Same thing happened one year later with Men In Black. Smith ONLY got the part because fukking Chris O'Donnell and David Schwimmer turned it down. Steven Speilberg's wife was a fan of The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air and convinced Spielberg to meet with him...

That film went onto to gross over 500 million worldwide becoming the biggest hit of Summer 1997....:mjpls:

Now fast forward to 2013. Will Smith is in a position to star in ANY movie he wants, commands a 20 million dollar salary and is THE most bankable actor in Hollywood. He uses his clout to make a film in which he wrote the story, produces it through his OWN company, and has his real life son star alongside him. A BLACK man who just 17 years ago was the THIRD choice behind two white actors (who haven't bee seen beyond a hallmark television movie of the week for YEARS) is starring in a science fiction epic that he WROTE and PRODUCED. He is playing a respected General who is the one soldier who shows NO FEAR amongst alien hordes, he is estranged from his Son but through the course of the film he any his son bond while he instructs and guides his Son on becoming a man, a warrior, and a brave individual. If that isn't BLACK EXCELLENCE then I don't know WHAT is:salute:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I thought the movie was pretty good. I don't remember people on here shyting on the movie.

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
I thought the movie was pretty good. I don't remember people on here shyting on the movie.

Do a search I think there was more negative then positive back when it first came out. I was even weary going to check it but did it anyway. Having low expectations for the movie but ended up thinking it was a solid movie.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Daps
It wasn't as bad as the critics would lead you to believe, but it wasn't a good movie either. Far from it.

Definitely not good enough for a thread like this to be made.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Co-sign @Ziggy. I said the same thing when the movie was released. There was a bias against showing a positive Black Father/Son relationship and people wanted Will to Fail so they used his Son's movie to go at him. Ironically the movie didn't flop as bad as people thought. Worldwide saved the numbers but it was one of the few Will Smith films that didn't make 100 Million in the U.S. But M Knight Shamalyan deserves some blame. He's such a polorizing director that it turned some people off to the movie. But this was one of his better films, way better than "The Last Airbender, The Happening and Lady in the Water". But it wasn't about Will it was about putting his son on. I also like how people hate on Will putting Jaden on but tons of White Actors get put on by their parents and connections and nobody says shyt. Nic Cage is Francis Ford Coppolas nephew. Angelina Jolie is Jon Voight Daughter. If they can go on an have success careers why can't Jaden?:

otal Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $60,522,097 24.8%
+ Foreign: $183,321,030 75.2%
= Worldwide: $243,843,127

It basically double it's budget worldwide and that's not counting DVD sales. Jaden can end up being a dope adult action star if he keeps the martial arts and action movies up.

after-earth.jpg

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
The only negative thing I will say is Jaden can't quite yet carry a film and I think Will and M Knight might of put to much on him but this was clearly a baptism by fire. But this is Jaden's 4th film, he's still growing so there is time for him to improve. I think a lot of people were expecting Will to do more or for there to be more action. Cause trust me, if Will was the one running the jungle fighting creatures on Earth it would of been bigger at the box office but this was about his son and trying to tell a true father/son story from a Black perspective that hollywood continues to act like doesn't exists. "After Earth" will find life on home video and television re-runs on the Sci-Fi channel and other networks for years to come.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
I actually haven't seen it....:snoop:

But I still agree with the premise of the thread.....:smugfavre: :umad:

Will has always done right by us as far as I'm concerned. Black Excellence personified....:salute:

We are so fukking rare in movies, especially these big blockbuster type of films right now. It's basically just one big pile of white supremacy. I get tired of it. I like a superhero and action star just as much as the next, but I'm not going to place stanning for these fukking 1950's creation over my own race, cot damn. This modern generation is fukking pathetic. You've got black men who won't stand up and support Michael B. Jordan as The Flame....:mindblown:

Marvel can suck on my nuts until we see Black Panther. And he better smack the shyt outta Thor too, power levels be damned.