Warner Brothers eyeing Jordan Peele to direct 'Akira'

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Just because a project is hard doesn't mean They setting him up to fail. A studio wouldn't play those games.
If he makes it a success he can do other great projects.

It wouldn't necessarily be "setting him up to fail" as it would be more of a gamble on the studios side that they could write off on Peele being a "first time big budget" director if it were to flop.

The studio has been trying to make a live action Akira for the past 15 years. The Hughes Brothers were close. Nolan was circling it at one point. The main issue with the studio has been the budget. They apparently wanted it made at just around $100 million. So if they throw Peele the lower end of the budget and say "make it work" and Peele delivers a critically acclaimed masterpiece that makes bank. It's a win. If the movie bombs then it's on Peele.

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What is there about Peele and Get Out that says "Akira" ?
If anything this is the perfect project for Snyder or Bay on strictly visual basis and action.

Its official to me though, Time Warner CEO needs to fire WB management. These folks are hyper reactive and have no idea what they are doing.

:whoa:

I agree otherwise though.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Tears of the sun, Olympus has fallen, the equalizer, southpaw, the magnificent seven were all good movies plus black directors tend to be more open minded and less racist in characterizing a main character as white. I could see them actually casting an Asian actor to play the main role with a diverse cast instead of all white.
You said "classics" now it's "good" movies, move the goal post much? And for argument sake in what world was Olympus has fallen a good movie? Tears of the sun was we were soldiers bottom of the heap bad. Equalizer was average and magnificent was slightly above. You a millennial or something? you seem reckless with praise like you ain't really watched quality movies

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
What is there about Peele and Get Out that says "Akira" ?
If anything this is the perfect project for Snyder or Bay on strictly visual basis and action.

Its official to me though, Time Warner CEO needs to fire WB management. These folks are hyper reactive and have no idea what they are doing.

:dahell:
Yes, that's what all these adaptations of classic philosophical cyberpunk anime need, a bunch of overblown action directors who will cut out all of the depth and just make a pretty looking 2 hour music video/commercial. :snoop:

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
I'm sorry but as an anime Akira didn't work. It butchered the story from the manga. If Hollywood gets its hands on it will be a unmitigated disaster.

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
I think this is good. Because he will make sure Akira has a diverse cast. And you can't put directors/people in boxes. Most people would've never thought Peter Jackson could deliver on LORD OF THE RINGS going off his resume. There are numerous examples of directors evolving.

Look at Jordan Vogt-Roberts, he directed KINGS OF SUMMER and then got the KONG gig and Metal Gear movie.

Steven Speilberg's Jaws only had a budget of 9 million and he started with TV work as well if you can tell a coherent story with memorable characters then you've got it. My only thing with this is Akira needs to be at least a two-parter because as much as I love the anime film it needed more time develop a lot of stuff that was missed from the manga.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm sorry but as an anime Akira didn't work. It butchered the story from the manga. If Hollywood gets its hands on it will be a unmitigated disaster.

I think with the right director and perfect cast Akira could work and I'd like to see it.

But it would take a huge budget and next level special effects

An another note so many movies have copied akira I feel like we've already seen it

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
They want him to fall into the same trap that M Night did when they gave him The Last Air Bender.

If he's smart he'll stick to just making other movies like Get Out (he said he has four others planned) where he can control the narrative, this is just a distraction from White Hollywood to stop him from doing that.
What I thought to. Seems like a set up