Vulgarity killed RnB

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Actually, blame Kedar Massenberg. He was the one who coined the term "neo-soul."
true, but i feel the industry ran with it in a way that really made it - "if you wear natural hair, burn incense, don't dance, use instruments, have any crocheted piece of clothing, are slightly overweight or of below average looks, ....go this way ---->>>"

Last edited:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Also, the fact that; Looks > Singing Talent dominates

Of course there were plenty of pretty men/women who couldn't sing, but, they weren't the majority

u mad son?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I see somebody drop a Jon B video and had to drop this

this is real RNB to the core wow

edit: bruhs, i had to wiki this shyt to see who produced this masterpiece right here

producer: jon b

:ohhh::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed:

Let me see any of these new RNB fakkits produce something like this

Can we talk about Devante Swing also and dudes masterful compositions :whew:

Last edited:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Somewhere in the last 10-15 years strippers became the most influential demo in black music. The music caters to them.

Im blown away at how little vocals matter now. Someone earlier mentioned how you rarely see footage of cats singing a capella nowadays.

It became so bad that even Lil Jon feels bad for creating a monster that killed off quality black music.

u mad son?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
OP is right, went to a wedding 2 weeks ago and the couple had to choose a song from 1996 for their first dance.

I can't think of any real wedding songs in the past few years from R&B (or pop).
I was thinking this exact same thing and didnt post it

My Heart Belongs to You by Jodeci :takedat:

this might even be my first dance at my wedding

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
I agree with most of you all are saying, r&b is practically nonexistent. It's basically slower rap. It lacks creativity and is overly vulgar.

Once labels stopped promoting singers with church backgrounds it was a wrap.

I know many of y'all dislike church/religion but you can't deny the statement above, the majority of great singers got their start in the church. The church is where they learned to sing and technically r&b came out of the church as well. All these things collectively are why r&b is garbage today.

R&b and hip hop cater to thugs, wannabe thugs, and ratchets nowadays. I'm not even going to get into the racial undertones, as you know certain demographics seems to love thug and ratchet culture or better yet what they imagine it to be.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I agree with most of you all are saying, r&b is practically nonexistent. It's basically slower rap. It lacks creativity and is overly vulgar.

I know many of y'all dislike church/religion but you can't deny the statement above, the majority of great singers got their start in the church. The church is where they learned to sing and technically r&b came out of the church as well. All these things collectively are why r&b is garbage today.

R&b and hip hop cater to thugs, wannabe thugs, and ratchets nowadays. I'm not even going to get into the racial undertones, as you know certain demographics seems to love thug and ratchet culture or better yet what they imagine it to be.
No church, no soul.

No soul, Frank Ocean and Weeknd.