Viola does it again #BoycottWomanKing

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All the empires you mentioned weren't angelic in any way shape or form. They all enslaved and participated in it. Empires don't get made and maintained by being nice and asking for donations.

Also on the cac side Sparta is praised because of its warmongering.

So are the Vikings with numerous shows/movies

So are the Romans with lots of shows and movies.

As are the Greeks.

But Black Africans are to be criticized? What an odd double standard. It's almost as if when Black people are warmongering it needs to be censored because they can't look aggressive against invaders :mjpls:

There's definitely a larger message behind some of the "criticism."

Did you not understand my point. No one said that they were angelic. That is a reading comprehension issue.

I stated that they had wars over nation/state issues. Those wars produced POWs, which they sold sometimes but sometimes they did not sale POWs.

Dahomey and the Aro Confederacy were entities that only existed to capture and sell human beings. They were funded by the Whiteman and they were exclusive trade partners of the Whiteman and they did the Whiteman's bidding. What are you not understanding about that?

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
All the empires you mentioned weren't angelic in any way shape or form. They all enslaved and participated in it. Empires don't get made and maintained by being nice and asking for donations.

Also on the cac side Sparta is praised because of its warmongering.

So are the Vikings with numerous shows/movies

So are the Romans with lots of shows and movies.

As are the Greeks.

But Black Africans are to be criticized? What an odd double standard. It's almost as if when Black people are warmongering it needs to be censored because they can't look aggressive against invaders :mjpls:

There's definitely a larger message behind some of the "criticism."

Black Americans have a right to be upset and not support a movie that portrays the very people who hand a strong hand in their ancestors becoming slaves in a positive light. If anything, many of them are quite consistent in their criticisms of any group that targeted or made a habit of attacking them, being portrayed in some positive light. If anything, the fact that some black people are trying to support this movie is a break from the usual and, if anything, the only double standard here. Those other groups did little to target black Americans and seemed more preoccupied with white people. If you have questions for white people, go ask them. Many of us are not concerned about their opinions. We see plenty of that in the movie since it was written by white women.

It's a weird double standard. Suddenly some in the Black community care about the morality of their entertainment and how it portrays Black people? :mjgrin:

Where is this moral compass when they enjoy the self destructive rap they listen to on a daily basis?

Or all the gangster and criminal movies?

Or all the street dudes they praise and then trash 9-5 dudes as corny?

And I think a large part of the criticism is from some Black men who are upset that they weren't included and they wanted to be. Which is a fair point. But the creators wanted a female Braveheart and they got it. So a lot of this criticism is that they wanted to be part of the historical epic as well.
Portraying all rap as self-destructive is silly and the destructive aspect is often one person's beef with another, not just black people as a whole. Rappers in general are critisized heavily, not just on here but in general. It's like you skipped over all the threads filled with people commenting on that. People actually criticize gangsters in movies here and elsewhere all the time. That said, I doubt dudes are upset that they aren't in on the foolishness, when much of the complaints are aimed at the terrible things the amazons did, and many people pointing out that if the creators wanted their female braveheart, there were many other examples in Africa, let alone the world, they could have pulled from. It doesn't help that the writers are white women who have little grasp on African history and are using it with the same level of disrespect you'd expect from a white supremacist. I mean really now.

I've been trying to avoid commenting in this thread since I made my feelings clear in the first one but hot damn.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
A lot of complaining going on in this thread... how many of yall will actually see the movie? :stopitslime:

This channel does a good job telling the true history of the Dahomey. Before you see the movie, watch this video, it is worth it:

I've already seen this. How does any of this change what Black Americans are complaining about? They suffered, they had to give tribute to another power. None of that changes the fact that they also were slavers whose main export was slaves to Europeans, and the enslavers of some of our ancestors. All of the above is true, and the desire of some Black Americans to not have the history revised in a movie about them being some heroes we should be proud of is a valid desire.

I can put up here how Nazi Germany was mistreated by the League of Nations, how they suffered greatly under the payments they had to make to France and other Europeans nations over what happened in WW1. Does any of that changes the fact of what heinous actions the Nazis committed? Would you begrudge Jewish people if they complained about a movie depicting Nazis in a positive light during WW2, making them the heroes? Would you come at them with all of the history of Germany's suffering before Nazis came to power as an excuse for why the Jews should accept a movie making Nazis heroes during WW2, the height of their own Holocaust?

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps
you sure? in benin they just built a big ass statue of an amazon warrior

FTBigTeWAAAXK1x.jpg
FY7k0nwWAAAaEED

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps
Yeah, because that definitely justifies participating in the slave trade.
If the beef was that serious, they could’ve just simply executed their opps. :camby:

That’s what they were doing at first, but once they found out their prisoners of war had value, they pivoted from killing them to selling them.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
A lot of complaining going on in this thread... how many of yall will actually see the movie? :stopitslime:

This channel does a good job telling the true history of the Dahomey. Before you see the movie, watch this video, it is worth it:

The irony
U definitely did not read this thread
Neg

Bop Gun

Turn Me Loose, We Shall Overcome
Daps
Reppin
210 via 201
I've already seen this. How does any of this change what Black Americans are complaining about? They suffered, they had to give tribute to another power. None of that changes the fact that they also were slavers whose main export was slaves to Europeans, and the enslavers of some of our ancestors. All of the above is true, and the desire of some Black Americans to not have the history revised in a movie about them being some heroes we should be proud of is a valid desire.

I can put up here how Nazi Germany was mistreated by the League of Nations, how they suffered greatly under the payments they had to make to France and other Europeans nations over what happened in WW1. Does any of that changes the fact of what heinous actions the Nazis committed? Would you begrudge Jewish people if they complained about a movie depicting Nazis in a positive light during WW2, making them the heroes? Would you come at them with all of the history of Germany's suffering before Nazis came to power as an excuse for why the Jews should accept a movie making Nazis heroes during WW2, the height of their own Holocaust?

I'm going to watch the movie. People are jumping to conclusions in this thread about the film without having seen it. Watching the movie does not mean you are in 100% agreement with it either. It's a different take on the issue, instead of the Rosewood, Mississippi Burning, Amistad style films which really serve the purpose of igniting the sparks in white people who yearn for those times in this country again.

As for your Nazi Germany example, I couldn't care less what Jewish peoples' opinions on said subject would be. You got people in here calling this particular film anti-Black Male, instigating diaspora wars over this movie. It's ridiculous. If the film ends up riddled in inaccuracies or pushing an agenda, I will have no issue admitting that. My only point was for people to actually watch it and not make wild and unsubstantiated claims about something.

This website is crazy. People were calling Black Panther a c00n and calling Killmonger a "real nikka", and the shyt is fiction. So I shouldn't be surprised by the African hate on here. Since when did Black Americans have this Right Wing/Conservative views of Africans, the way Conservatives think of us?

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
I'm going to watch the movie. People are jumping to conclusions in this thread about the film without having seen it. Watching the movie does not mean you are in 100% agreement with it either. It's a different take on the issue, instead of the Rosewood, Mississippi Burning, Amistad style films which really serve the purpose of igniting the sparks in white people who yearn for those times in this country again.

As for your Nazi Germany example, I couldn't care less what Jewish peoples' opinions on said subject would be. You got people in here calling this particular film anti-Black Male, instigating diaspora wars over this movie. It's ridiculous. If the film ends up riddled in inaccuracies or pushing an agenda, I will have no issue admitting that. My only point was for people to actually watch it and not make wild and unsubstantiated claims about something.

This website is crazy. People were calling Black Panther a c00n and calling Killmonger a "real nikka", and the shyt is fiction. So I shouldn't be surprised by the African hate on here. Since when did Black Americans have this Right Wing/Conservative views of Africans, the way Conservatives think of us?
I am not telling you not to watch the movie. What I am saying is that those who choose to not support the movie have a valid reason too. If you have a problem with a particular argument about why they do not want to watch the movie, then argue on that point. You made a general argument that essentially implies that we are wrong for not supporting the movie. I disagree with that point, and what I am making clear with my statements are that we who do not support it have valid reasons why.

So if you want to support it, that is your prerogative. We who choose to boycott it also have our own prerogative, and attempts to make it seem like we are wrong for our position will not be accepted by me. At least not with the flimsy arguments that are being made in support of this revisionist history movie about a tribe of slavers.

Last edited:

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
I don't think you know what countryman means

how many times am I gonna keep sonning you? :wow:

the Yoa Ming reach you did with that last sentence. all from my first post

I know exactly what countryman means & don’t give a shyt about which exact country you and Akon are from

and you sonned yourself … bout talking about a group of people u don’t even know & choosing a culture that not yours

Tair

Superstar
Daps
This bullshyt is written by two white women but y’all claiming we’re falling for an agenda by not rocking with this.

:camby:

A Black American man/woman taking their daughter to see that movie is crazy imo.

Those Agojie would have taken that little girl, her mom & dad and sold them to white Europeans. Sitting up there talking about this is a sisterhood is crazy to me. It definitely wasn't no sisterhood when they gave a 6 year old girl to Queen Victoria as a gift. All those girls were seen as products to them.

Imagine your kid being taken from you and given to a white woman/man and you sold off somewhere else. Then generations later your offspring is watching and supporting a film that depicted those very people that sold your daughter and/or son, you, and your wife/husband off as "brave" and "powerful".

That is why I think we should just stick to telling our stories. We still need a good Harriet Tubman film starring a Black American woman as Harriet Tubman (I don't know why Viola did this instead of a Harriet Tubman film, but whatever). Biddy Mason would be a great story to tell and she is not as well known. Zora Neale Hurston would be fantastic as well.

The only people that really helped us are other Black Americans, our ancestors. I want to see their stories told.

:yeshrug:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I read a couple of posts by some Africans brehs who seem to know that part of the continent's history quite well and they weren't feeling it either. Sounds like it has a lot of historical inaccuracies, and clearly isn't aimed at portraying atual African history.

Sir ZDuke

All Star
Daps
West Africa will always hold the eternal L of being stupid enough to sell people that look like them to a bunch of sociopathic foreigners. Easily the most shameful and confusing part of our history. Converting to Christianity and Islam is a close second
Nikkas in the hood rn killing people that look just like them. Throughout history, people have killed, maimed, exploited, mistreated people that looked just like them. Welcome to life on earth :yeshrug: