Viola does it again #BoycottWomanKing

Sway

Banned
Daps
Coli logic - "yeah I know youre surrounded by slave raiding kingdoms that have been disrespecting you for centuries and selling you into slavery since the early 1600s.... yeah I know the Oyo Empire forced you to pay taxes in the form of slaves - but you shouldn't seek revenge against your enemies because they look like you"

You nikkas gotta put that new testament bullshyt away...... y'all wanted the Dahomey to bend over and get fukked by the Oyo.

Y'all think getting fukked over and never seeking revenge is honorable and virtuous.

There is a reason why the descendants of the Dahomey are the ONLY ones to launch the only successful slave rebellion in history.

middle-finger-gif-15.gif
Yeah, because that definitely justifies participating in the slave trade.
If the beef was that serious, they could’ve just simply executed their opps. :camby:

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps
I think he is confused by the modern name for countries versus the former names of kingdoms. The Dahomey kingdom was only in the southern part of what is now modern day Benin. Dahomey only covered about 30% of modern day Benin. There were other kingdoms that covered the other 70% most notably the Oyo Empire. The Oyo were Yoruba people. That is the ethnic group that Dahomey mostly attacked after the Oyo became involved in Civil War.

He is almost certainly Yoruba. It is possible he could also be partially Fon, because Oyo did throw Dahomey's warriors into slavery too. But it seem like most of Benin DNA is Yoruba and the ethnic groups around them in Benin.
Exactly, they’re fighting and selling each other into slavery.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I'd rather see "Barbarian", and that's serious. But I didn't dig how that biracial chick was all concerned, and willing to risk her life for these White men. But I know that's what the movie meant to put in your subconscious. I only saw it for the Tuesday discount. Can't say I wasted my time, but it's nothing I would encourage anybody to go see all that much. I'd say it was a good "get out the house on a Tuesday night" type movie. I hadn't done that in minute. And I gotta admit, the soda and popcorn was fresh, and I didn't have no Big Bozo sitting next to me this time.

But just watching the previews of the "Woman King" turned me off just as bad as the title. There's no such thing as a woman king. I wasn't going to see that movie no way. I saw the preview of "Wakanda Forever" too, but I think I'm over that whole "Blank Panther" thing from Hollywood. Anybody notice that the titles to both of these movies symbolize woman power. You have Woman King, and you know Wakanda sound like Wanda. At least you could identify "Black Panther" with strong Black men.

:laff:

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
Is the movie about black Americans? Why are we making it about ourselves?

Almost all of the mighty West African kingdoms engaged in slavery.

Are we saying they can never be portrayed in a positive light on the big screen because they were enslavers?
You said you know about West African History, and yet you do not know anything about the Dahomey and what their main export to Europeans were? We Black Americans made it about us, because the true story of the Dahomey is about how some of our ancestors (Those with Benin-Togo DNA) got here. Those of us who do not like the revisionist history being done in the movie have the right to voice our opinion and seek to boycott it if we so desire.

invalid

Banned
Daps
I mean in this context Europeans were the ones that fought to end slavery in Dahomey, Dahomey fought to preserve it.

really in most of West Africa, European colonial empires fought the slave trade because slavers were taking so many people they didn’t have enough human capital to work in their colonies.

It was the European nations that missed out on the scramble for Africa that mostly participated in the slave trade.

I mean colonies were still basically working for free, but at least it wasn’t chattel slavery.

Breh, the first slaves were sent to the colonies in the 1600s. The scramble for Africa didn't start until 200 years later when slavery was going out of fashion anyway. The European nations had 200 years to profit off of slavery before colonization and because they now needed to profit off of human capital on the Continent instead of in the New World, we're going to frame their fighting to end slavery on the Continent as something noble and not wholely self-serving?

No one looks good. However, I'd rather the black kingdoms look better.

Hollywood has portrayed white people and Europe as heroes and victors for years with all the blood on their hands.

It's a problem when it's Africans though? And the people pushing it are Black Americans.

I guess black people turning on black people is as African as palm oil, eh?

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Exactly, they’re fighting and selling each other into slavery.

You have to remember though that the Yoruba also had a whole ass Civil war. They had a fantastic empire. Their focus was not slavery. It was about trade, taxes and tribute. They were into expansionism and wanted to take over trade routes going towards the ocean and the inland trade routes. Their calvary was formidable, but the royal families, noble people and priests had a massive falling out and their Alaafins/Kings made power moves and some of them were very corrupt. Eventually Oyo collapsed under the weight of constant internal warfare but it was really advanced and it shows the potential that Nigeria has.

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps
The film is apparently get rave reviews on social media. Particularly the performances of Thuso Mbedu and Viola.

Also as others mentioned cacs elevate and make show after show, without hesitation, about the Vikings whose routine activities included enslaving women and children.

Same with the Romans who got filthy rich off slavery.

Same with the Spartans who were primarily known as warmongering enslavers.
But African civilizations must be condemned for the same activities :mjpls:

Last edited:

Tair

Superstar
Daps
The film is apparently get rave reviews on social media. Particularly the performances of Thuso Mbedu and Viola.

Also as others mentioned cacs elevate and make show after show, without hesitation, about the Vikings whose routine activities included enslaving women and children.

Same with the Romans who got filthy rich off it.

Same with the Spartans who were primarily known as warmongering enslavers.

But African civilizations must be condemned for the same activities :mjpls:

Black Americans aren't trying to emulate white people.

:manny:

invalid

Banned
Daps
You said you know about West African History, and yet you do not know anything about the Dahomey and what their main export to Europeans were? We Black Americans made it about us, because the true story of the Dahomey is about how some of our ancestors (Those with Benin-Togo DNA) got here. Those of us who do not like the revisionist history being done in the movie have the right to voice our opinion and seek to boycott it if we so desire.

You said all of this without providing me with the historical event in Dahomean history that this movie is based off of.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
TLR has too much Plat Chasing on here lately to take anything posted seriously without research. Especially if it's controversial. Dudes will happily lie to get a plat.
nikkas had whole entire film analysis done based off a minute trailer and 5 minute google search of Dahomey

I seen one tweet that said the film was pushing propaganda because they claimed most black men in the movie were gay

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
You said all of this without providing me with the historical event in Dahomean history that this movie is based off of.

I answered your question before that tweet. Why avoid the one where I give you an actual link demonstrating what I said?

*Edit My mistake, I was pretty sure I put up the link to NPR about this movie. Well here it is, since I can't find that post.

Last edited:

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps
Breh, the first slaves were sent to the colonies in the 1600s. The scramble for Africa didn't start until 200 years later when slavery was going out of fashion anyway. The European nations had 200 years to profit off of slavery before colonization and because they now needed to profit off of human capital on the Continent instead of in the New World, we're going to frame their fighting to end slavery on the Continent as something noble and not wholely self-serving?

No one looks good. However, I'd rather the black kingdoms look better.

Hollywood has portrayed white people and Europe as heroes and victors for years with all the blood on their hands.

It's a problem when it's Africans though? And the people pushing it are Black Americans.

I guess black people turning on black people is as African as palm oil, eh?
dude these people aren’t even lionized by the Africans that live there now, it’s considered a stain on their history, it’s consider a stain on any tribe or group that participated in slavery.

Why lionize them out of all the African stories you could tell, because some Jews want to monetize the black female viewer audience with a knockoff Black Panther with girl power?

Like before the cacs even latched on to this, I watched the trailer and said “they don’t know they were ruthless slave traders?”

My people killed slavers.

But it doesn’t surprised me, recently had to watch 15 minutes of “The Handmaid’s Tale” and was like this show is basically a bunch of corny Hollywood women writers saying

“what if we made a world where you had to have a baby, and if you refuse they throw you in Guantanamo bay, so instead of being filled with tortured Arab men like it was in reality, it’s filled with pretty western women with attitude!”

Like I just think “nobody thought this was distasteful?” Hollywood is terrible I swear, they must be stopped.
You have to remember though that the Yoruba also had a whole ass Civil war. They had a fantastic empire. Their focus was not slavery. It was about trade, taxes and tribute. They were into expansionism and wanted to take over trade routes going towards the ocean and the inland trade routes. Their calvary was formidable, but the royal families, noble people and priests had a massive falling out and their Alaafins/Kings made power moves and some of them were very corrupt. Eventually Oyo collapsed under the weight of constant internal warfare but it was really advanced and it shows the potential that Nigeria has.
lol they were gonna get knocked over by the Fulani again regardless, history repeats.

Even now the Yoruba struggle with leaders that are more loyal to Islam than Oyo. But Islam pays well in Nigeria so I get it.

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps
dude these people aren’t even lionized by the Africans that live there now, it’s considered a stain on their history, it’s consider a stain on any tribe or group that participated in slavery

What Africans think is neither here nor there. I'm talking about media portrayal of anything remotely relating to blackness here in the US and how that affects us in this country. Africans have nothing to do with this.