Victor Oladipo the NBA's #1 pick

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
To compare Wade to Oladipo in college you have to look at a numerous amount of things. One being, Oladipo is just a much better scorer than Wade.

His game is similar to Elgin's, just not as effective.

Victor is in Michael Jordan Jr. year UNC territory.

I really believe Oladipo is a better prospect than Wade. I really think he's closer to a prospect from the 80's who Wade's game is similar too but I am not trying to get flamed right now. I want to wait till March Madness before I go any further.

It can happen. I am a prime example of working extremely hard in high school and college. I came in with no range outside of the paint to hit 100 shots in a row around the perimeter and being able to shoot threes decently. Victor has elite tools though. Elite first step, freakish athleticism, Big hands, extremely smart player. He has everything you want in an elite SG. On top of that, he plays the game harder than everyone else on the floor. He's like a smaller Michael Kidd-Gilchrist but much better offensively. If I am MJ, I am drafting Oladipo and dominating for the next 10 years. I really believe you can give this man 14 FGA a game and get 18 PPG as a rookie. He can give you more than Dame Lillard. I will put it on the line. This kid will make a GM look like a genius.

Shabazz ain't gonna be a superstar breh. Shabazz is going to be like James Harden. If a GM f**ks up and takes Shabazz over Victor, they will lose their job. Just no way to you justify it. Shabazz can be very good in the NBA but Victor can be great. A championship player. There is only like 6-7 of those in the entire league.

I can see Zeller or Noel going number due to the fact that Cleveland or Washington might get the #1 pick. But if Charlotte gets the #1 pick. I am taking Victor without hesitation.

McLemore will be considered for the pick before Bazz but Victor has it all.

James Harden isn't going to be a superstar. He's one of the big number players with less impact than their stats like Kevin Love. Give me a more impact less stats guy like Joakim Noah all day over guys like Love and Harden. I rather have a high impact, high stats guy but those of course are superstars.

:laff: :laff: :laff:

Oladipo a better scorer than Wade? He's comparable to MJ at UNC? Harden isn't a superstar and Shabazz would be a bad pick if he turned out like The Beard? Oladipo will dominate the League for the next decade?

timduncanokthatsenuf.png

when I was watching D Rose at Memphis I had no idea dude had rocks like that

Are you sure you watched Rose in college? :what:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
For a guy his size, he's actually not bad man to man.

I like his man defense better than most breh but he's not no lockdown defender and he isn't a great defender by any strech. I just disagree with your knock Victor and upping a team when not every player is what you are trying to claim. I respect you so no biggie breh.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
I like his man defense better than most breh but he's not no lockdown defender and he isn't a great defender by any strech. I just disagree with your knock Victor and upping a team when not every player is what you are trying to claim. I respect you so no biggie breh.

I'm not knocking Victor though. I like Victor. I just don't think he's gonna be that good. I'm not calling him a bum or anything, but I need to see more before I can believe he's gonna be on that kind of tier of star.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
His handles are decent. They can get the job done. Wade's handles were questioned at times especially attacking the paint where he was turnover prone. Then you got guys like MJ who scouts said didn't have the handles to be a guard in the NBA. They said he carries the ball too much at times. In the NBA, he made the carry a regular thing more so than Bron.

Sometimes you just like to argue. You are talking like his handles are Travis Leslie level. :stopitslime:

James Harden isn't going to be a superstar. He's one of the big number players with less impact than their stats like Kevin Love. Give me a more impact less stats guy like Joakim Noah all day over guys like Love and Harden. I rather have a high impact, high stats guy but those of course are superstars.
breh, how many people have agreed with you in this thread?

I could have been even more abrasive and sardonic than usual, but I clearly have not in this thread. Oladipo is only like Wade in height and athleticism, but Wade was clearly the more talented player.

And thats no hate on Oladipo. I like dude a lot. He is going to defend very well and be a really important guy on a team, but comparing him to an ATG in Wade is :mindblown:

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
Keyword, at the combine. When I played v. him in AAU the summer before, he was 225 and he was 17 years old. He was 18 y.o. at the combine. He gained that weight working with personally trainers plus his frame is much bigger than Noel but Noel has a big enough frame and his weight distribution is good.

Dwight was heavier at 18 than Noel will be at 19 and was roughly the same weight at 17 that Noel is at 18.

Gaining weight and retaining athleticism isn't as easy as you make it seem, he's not putting on 15lbs of lean muscle between the end of the college season and the combine.

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
Dwight was heavier at 18 than Noel will be at 19 and was roughly the same weight at 17 that Noel is at 18.

Gaining weight and retaining athleticism isn't as easy as you make it seem, he's not putting on 15lbs of lean muscle between the end of the college season and the combine.

Yeah, Noel has a similar frame to a young KG at 19.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
breh, how many people have agreed with you in this thread?

I could have been even more abrasive and sardonic than usual, but I clearly have not in this thread. Oladipo is only like Wade in height and athleticism, but Wade was clearly the more talented player.

And thats no hate on Oladipo. I like dude a lot. He is going to defend very well and be a really important guy on a team, but comparing him to an ATG in Wade is :mindblown:

Initially, you were sardonic but after that you were like a general human with common opinions.

1. Have I ever cared if you agreed with me or not. My goal to be right, impactful, and groundbreaking. Not to just be another head in the crowd. I standout and achieve greatness. You can come along or just watch me.

2. They are about the same height, Wade was more stocky, Oladipo is more athletic, and both are very talented players out of college.

3. If I am comparing them as one being a Jr at Indiana and the other being a two time champion in the NBA, yes, :mindblown: but as a Jr. at IU and a (RS) Soph at Marquette. I feel it's more than fair, in fact I have Oladipo being better.

You do not have to agree, I don't post for likes.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God

Noel is 18-19 years old. He is still physically changing.

I have no doubt Dwight who is around 270-280 will be much bigger than Noel but Noel will be 240-250 in the NBA for most of his career.

His frame is like a young G'Town Patrick Ewing

patrick-ewing.001303659.jpg

nerlens-noel-ole-miss.jpeg

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I'm not knocking Victor though. I like Victor. I just don't think he's gonna be that good. I'm not calling him a bum or anything, but I need to see more before I can believe he's gonna be on that kind of tier of star.

Didn't claim you were. Just disagree with your premise of going about it. If you don't think he's something say it. Don't bounce around it and get another topic started that is not even necessary.

954UAlreadyknow

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Noel is 18-19 years old. He is still physically changing.

I have no doubt Dwight who is around 270-280 will be much bigger than Noel but Noel will be 240-250 in the NBA for most of his career.

His frame is like a young G'Town Patrick Ewing

patrick-ewing.001303659.jpg

nerlens-noel-ole-miss.jpeg

:pachaha:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHPyalUAAng[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvS600pzNL8[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ4Uu4sArsQ[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Yucgvhq6w[/ame]

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
The discussion: Who is Indiana's best player: Cody Zeller or Victor Oladipo?

Jay Bilas: To some, this may be a distinction without a difference and doesn't matter at all in a team game. And this is the perfect time to have this discussion, because we are coming off of a two-game stretch in which Zeller had his two worst games of the season while Oladipo has been at his best. In the past two months, I have been struck by how many basketball commentators seem to revel in saying that Oladipo is Indiana's best player. He is not.

I have heard several commentators, a couple of whom are respected voices who have been in the game for a long time, state that Oladipo is Indiana's best player "by far" and that "it's not even close." Reasonable minds can differ on such matters, but I do not agree. In fact, I disagree entirely.

Don't get me wrong. Oladipo, out of DeMatha (Md.), is a terrific player and is having a great season. He is among the best and most versatile defenders in the country who can guard multiple positions and get steals and deflections at a high rate. On the offensive end, Oladipo is much improved and has been hitting open shots, driving and getting to the foul line. He is a high-energy player who affects the game at both ends, and he has proved to be among the top 30 most effective players in the nation, in my judgment. I believe he is a first-round NBA draft pick.

However, he is not Indiana's best player. Cody Zeller is.

Zeller is Indiana's top scorer, averaging 16.0 points on just nine shots per game (Oladipo averages 13.9 points on eight shots per game). Zeller is also the Hoosiers' top rebounder, averaging 8.1 -- including 2.7 offensively -- a game. Oladipo is third on the team in rebounding, averaging 6.0 -- and also 2.7 offensively -- a game.

Both Zeller and Oladipo shoot high percentages, with Oladipo shooting 66 percent from the field and 55 percent from 3-point range, while Zeller shoots 60 percent from the field. Zeller is more productive from the free throw line, shooting twice as many free throws and hitting a better percentage. Oladipo has twice the number of steals as Zeller, and Zeller has twice the number of blocked shots. Oladipo can guard more positions than can Zeller, but Zeller guards the post, the one position that Oladipo can't guard. Zeller is the guy whom opposing defenses double, and he is the first player on the opponent's scouting report.

The only thing that suggests Oladipo is Indiana's best player is surprise. Few expected Oladipo, a career 49 percent shooter (and 25 percent 3-point shooter), to have the season he is having. Oladipo already has managed as many steals this season as he had all of last season, and as many 3-point field goals this season as he has in his career. It's fair to state that Oladipo is Indiana's "heart and soul" or "most complete player" -- or Indiana's "best leader" -- but I think the label of Indiana's best player belongs to Zeller, and only Zeller. Zeller is a team player who is not a volume shooter and does not require touches to keep playing and to be a great teammate.

I believe most NBA personnel would agree that Zeller is Indiana's best player and prospect, despite the legitimate questions about his NBA future. There is disagreement as to just how effective Zeller will be in the NBA in the long run, but it is clear that he is a surefire lottery selection. With his ability to run the floor, face up and drive -- and with his skill level -- Zeller has value in the NBA. He needs to be a higher volume rebounder and to be more assertive, and he needs to be able to consistently hit a face-up jumper to range. Plus, he is not a shot-blocker. However, he can be a starter in the NBA, and he does not need the ball to play.

Chad Ford: A little more than a month ago, I had Zeller atop our list of the best college players in the country and had him ranked as a top-three prospect in the NBA draft.

A month later, it's harder for me to argue for either ranking. As far as top college players go, his production simply doesn't quite reach the level of some of his competition. In fact, I think it's fair to argue that teammate Oladipo actually might be more valuable to the Hoosiers right now.

I know Jay disagrees and makes the statistical argument for Zeller. But after watching Indiana the past month, I understand those who side with Oladipo as well. He plays so hard, is so disruptive on the defensive end and sets the tone for this Indiana team. It certainly feels as if it's Oladipo, not Zeller, who sets the pace for the Hoosiers.

And if you want advanced stats for support, Ken Pomeroy's Offensive Rating has Oladipo slightly ahead of Zeller. Yes, Zeller rebounds slightly more than Oladipo, but Zeller is 6-foot-11 and Oladipo just 6-5. Zeller's rebounding rate for a big man is very average. Oladipo's rebounding rate is excellent for a guard. Oladipo shoots a higher percentage than Zeller despite the fact Zeller's shots are much closer to the basket. Oladipo's shooting percentages as a guard are ridiculously good.

Oladipo certainly was the best player on the floor Sunday against Michigan State. His 21 points (on 8-of-12 shooting), 7 rebounds, 6 steals and 3 blocks terrorized Michigan State on both ends of the floor. Once again, he was the engine that made Indiana run.

Zeller, matched up against the Spartans' big, athletic front line, struggled. He ended the game with just nine points on 2-of-7 shooting and seemed to shrink a bit from the physical play in the paint. Meanwhile, the Spartans' big man, Adreian Payne, produced against Zeller what might have been his best game of the season, with 18 points, nine rebounds and three 3-pointers.

As far as best college players go, Oladipo, Michigan's Trey Burke, Creighton's Doug McDermott, Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk and my personal favorite, Kansas' Ben McLemore, all would get the nod over Zeller at the moment.

NBA scouts are having an even harder time with Zeller right now. Teams are struggling to get their arms around what position he'll guard at the next level. He's not big or strong enough to be an NBA center. But the Michigan State game highlighted some of the issues with Zeller playing the 4.

More and more NBA big men can take it out past the 3-point line to stretch the floor. Zeller struggled all day guarding that shot from Payne, who made Zeller and Indiana pay. Offensively, while Zeller is incredibly efficient, his best skill is his ability to run the floor and get out ahead on the break. He's truly spectacular in the open floor in college. But at the NBA level? Can you name one NBA team that consistently leads the break with its big man? It's a skill that's unlikely to be particularly helpful in the NBA. Zeller's biggest NBA fans remain the stat heads; his high-efficiency game measures out nicely on a number of different metrics.

Don't get me wrong. I still think Zeller is an elite college basketball player and has enough skills/intangibles to be a good NBA player. But right now it's hard to justify him potentially being the No. 1 pick in the draft or the college basketball player of the year. In the past month, Zeller has dropped to No. 7 on my Top 100 and is in danger of dropping several more spots if his production doesn't rise in the last month of the season.

Oladipo's draft stock? He's steadily risen on draft boards all season. He's currently sitting at No. 17 on our Top 100 and, given his trajectory and Zeller's fall, I don't think it's out of the question that Oladipo goes ahead of Zeller on draft night.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
For fast raisers on my board

Watch for Marshall Henderson, Kyle Anderson, and Kelly Olynyk.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Ben McLemore talk

Question for my followers: who is the last 6-4/6-5 shooting guard who is not a great ball-handler/creator to become a top-3 or 5 draft pick?

From DraftExpress.com DraftExpress - NBA Draft, NCAA/International Basketball Website.
DraftExpress - NBA Draft, NCAA/International Basketball Website.

Why isn't Ben McLemore using more pick and roll or isolation possessions? He's generated just 48 points on those 62 possessions or .774 PPP

From DraftExpress.com DraftExpress - NBA Draft, NCAA/International Basketball Website.

How Ben McLemore gets his offense up until now: 22% spot-up, 21% transition, 15% off-screens, 11% pnr, 8% off rebs, 7% cuts, 5% isolation

McLemore dribble hesitation moves are weak in my opinion. When I watch him sometimes he struggles to use the great first step he has. For the guys like @mastermind who say Victor has meh handles, Victor has the best hesitation moves in the nation. Just wait till he starts using the triple threat like Wade and MJ did in the NBA. They won't let you do it in college for team Basketball reasons but in the NBA, they will.

Last edited by a moderator: