Valedictorian's Tweet about being Illegal Immigrant Causes an Uproar

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Currently, at least 18 states have provisions allowing for in-state tuition rates for undocumented students. Sixteen states—California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington—extend in-state tuition rates to undocumented students through state legislation. Two states—Oklahoma and Rhode Island—allow in-state tuition rates to undocumented students through Board of Regents decisions. In 2013, the University of Hawaii's Board of Regents and the University of Michigan's Board of Regents adopted similar policies for undocumented students to access in-state tuition at those institutions. In April 2014, Virginia's attorney general started granting in-state tuition to those covered under the federal Defferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

At least six states—California, Minnesota, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas and Washington—currently allow undocumented students to receive state financial aid.

So backwards.... but we have citizens who have to drop out of school because they can't get accepted or pay for school but these thieves can just waltz up here with no papers and a hand open for freebees. Other countries wouldn't even let these leeches into K-12. WHY are we even letting them to enroll into K-12? I really need to know the answer to that.

Daps
Fam, GPA aint like a contract bid. If you got a lesser score in math than me, its because I'm better at math. Not everything has a racial bias. Some shyt is "you didn't work hard enough", and high school academia is one of those areas.

And have you been in those BD/ED classes before? I can't say I've met a single person growing up who didn't belong in those shyts that were. nikkas be acting up fam, as do the whites and latinos I saw in there.

And Alabama? That's her family fault for raising their daughter in a state where the motto is "At least we aint Mississippi". I don't feel bad for none of the black folks that continue to live in those stretch of states.

You do not have any empathy for an African-American experiencing racism in the U.S.A., but you have empathy for an illegal immigrant being harassed about her status by white people? :heh:

aqualung

I wear a crown of curls.
Daps
Reppin
NYC, Boston, #ByrdGang
Should've flexed after she graduated college :patrice:
People share too gd much personal info online these days. Whites do not like to see minorities with any sort of advantage. White HS classmates make snippy, jealous comments whenever black students get admitted to higher-ranking colleges. Same when blacks get higher-paying jobs with fancier titles.

Mayte Lara just gave jealous people ammunition to sabotage her success during a recession when competition is intense. She will learn to fly under the radar a bit better and act more humble than she actually feels.

Plenty of white folks have exploited unfair opportunities and advantages throughout our nation's history. I will not begrudge her the fruits of her labor.

I hope she gets citizenship soon. (Chick already pays taxes and has a SSN.) It is likely that thousands of people are reporting her to INS ***daily*** now that she has publicized her status.

Daps
You right. Everyone should be thinking about their own agendas. To each their own i say.

I hope your husband wasn't an illegal immigrant at one point. Ironic that he's Hispanic. Good that he's helping out immigrants tho. Maybe more illegal immigrants should seek out people like him that do that type of thing. I'm sure there are others like him especially in major cities in the southwest.

My background is Cuban, so some of my people's didn't have the luxury of "walking across the border" either. Just like the Dominican and Haitian immigrants that make the more difficult journey across the ocean. But I get where you're coming from. I'm starting work now so I'll let the rest of y'all keep the discussion going. :salute:

Does it matter if her husband was an illegal immigrant? That does not negate the legality of the act. Either way, she knows that it is not right to excuse immigrating somewhere illegally.

Supreme HD

Superstar
Daps

This girl, her mom, and sister came to this country illegally. She escaped an alcoholic and abusive father/husband, had to survive with the income of just her mother, was living a low income life, plus get accustomed to life in a new country. Managed to get a 4.95 gpa, and get scholarships to Yale. Not no UT, but motherfukking YALE. All that she's accomplished while being an illegal immigrant, and some of these knuckleheads that were born here can't even accomplish a damn high school diploma. And people want to talk about illegal immigrants coming over and taking things from citizens, when those citizens aren't applying themselves or taking advantage of those same opportunities. I bet she goes on to do great things, as well as the other girl from Texas. Sometimes we don't appreciate what we have in this country. There are plenty of people like her, just wishing to get the opportunity to go to school here and get a proper education. Instead of getting upset about the drug traffickers and kingpins that come from Mexico and live the lavish lifestyle with money made from American citizens, folks get mad at a couple of girls trying to get their education. :martin:

:francis::what:

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As a country I am having a hard time understanding why we have a soft spot for these people:

and will give them education, a place to stay, EBT card, food stamps and a car.

But we will kill citizens like this in cold blood:

TrayvonMartinHooded.jpg

and we have homeless citizens like this in every city:
homeless-in-new-york-city.jpg

But we wont give them education and financial help like we do with these people who break the law on purpose.

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

When I enrolled you in school they didn't ask for your social security number

Supreme HD

Superstar
Daps
Let's stop with the excuses y'all. I have no problem with immigrants fleeing violence, persecution, etc. in fact, I welcome black and African immigrants doing so. But they don't have the luxury of walking across the border. Even so, most of these immigrants declare themselves and go to immigration field offices even though they know they're risking detention and possible removal. My husband is a lawyer and hispanic, he provides pro bono consulting for immigrants. I have family seeking asylum and some were successful. At the end of the day, they worked with non profits and pro bono firms that assist them with the entire legalization process free of charge. So miss me with that. It's a clearly an advantage to certain Hispanics (i.e. mestizos) that want more constituents for their own agendas. Black folks should be thinking of ours.
Your hubby is black Hispanic or?