Valedictorian's Tweet about being Illegal Immigrant Causes an Uproar

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H
Be the "smartest" person in your class, and admit to illegal activities that can fukk up your entire future, brehettes :wow:

Yeah, you were valedictorian of your high school. That doesn't mean shyt. Once you graduate college (if from UT....which is in a conservative state), nobody is gonna hire you. It's illegal to hire illegals. What a fukk up. :smh:

She better hope Hillary gets voted in and amnesty is given to her :ufdup:
U can't be this stupid

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"
dpe9t0.jpg
Bu bu but I went to Everest College... th th they just coming here to pick lettuce an shyt."

Can't tell these bozo nikkas shyt, mane.
tumblr_nwhiusYa8l1srm6rfo1_500.gif

:wow: at my Dominican GOAT counting his paper. I'd bet money AZ's people came here legally :sas2:

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol: @ nikkas thinking they know the whole story. Y'all don't know when her parents came or if she was born here or not. If she's been here since an adolescent I could care less. She'll contribute more to society than the majority of you rejects on thecoli.
:wow: ether

DaPresident

Miami Hurricanes football fan...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Miami Hurricanes,Dallas Cowboys, St. John's, DMV
Bruh, HALF of mexican immigrants are illegal.

That ish don't bother me homes.... I got no dog in this fight. This country was founded on "illegal immigration" so in my eyes I ain't trippin on people trying to come in and better their lives. Get their shot at the "Amerikkkan dream"

Yo folks, this lil broad, anybody (long as they not committing violent crimes) should be able to try and better themselves

Deutsche Bank

Some Of My Partners Dope Fiends Ha
Daps
Reppin
Hookers & Blow
shyts disgusting.

Mayte Lara photo uproar: What does the law say about... | www.ajc.com

Debbie Lord
Cox Media Group National Content Desk
Mayte Lara photo uproar: What does the law say about undocumented students?
1:12 p.m. Thursday, June 9, 2016 | Filed in: Nation
COMMENTS 0
NATION
MayteLaratweet.jpg

Mayte Lara revealed her immigration status on the day of her graduation.

Gracie: Ad exec in race to stop lung cancer

Free access to myAJC for AJC subscribers.

EXPLORE
Want more news? Sign upfor free newsletters to get more of the AJC delivered to your inbox.

A Texas high school valedictorian sparked an uproar on social media after she posted a photo of herself saying she is a high school valedictorian, has a 4.5 grade point average, “full tuition paid for at UT” and is an undocumented immigrant.

Mayte Lara posted the photo of herself in graduation garb last Friday, and it didn’t take long for people to begin questioning how she gained admittance – plus earned a scholarship – to the University of Texas.

Screenshots of the tweet that read "Valedictorian, 4.5 GPA, full tuition paid for at UT, 13 cords/medals, nice legs, oh and I'm undocumented," were shared on social media as people began criticizing the girl. Undocumented means someone who is a foreign-born person who doesn't have a legal right to be or remain in the United States.

Lara is Austin, Texas' Crockett High School valedictorian. In an interview with the Austin-American Statesman, Lara said, that in hindsight, she should have chosen her words more carefully.

“The reason I posted that tweet was to show others that you can accomplish anything, regardless of the obstacles you have in front of you,” she said. “It was a common trend on twitter to highlight your success through a tweet like that, and I saw many other students from across the country doing the same and sharing the things they’d overcome, so I thought I’d share mine.”

She said she felt her tweet was misunderstood and that she did not mean to “mock anyone.”

There are an estimated 65,000 undocumented students who graduate from U.S. high schools each year. They are guaranteed an education in U.S. public schools through grade 12. Trying to attend a college as an undocumented immigrant is another story. (who pays for these fukking taxes? :stopitslime:)

Here’s a look at the law says about undocumented students.

Can undocumented students attend college in the United States?

Yes they can. There is no federal or state law that prohibits undocumented immigrants from attending college in the United States. Students applying for admission are not required to prove their citizenship under state or federal law. Most institutions set their own admission policies.

Colleges and universities in some states – Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Virginia and Arizona – set restrictions on undocumented students. Those restrictions, however, are not placed on them by state or federal law.

If undocumented immigrants are able to get into state colleges and universities, can they pay the lower tuition rates that state residents pay?

Seventeen states currently have laws permitting certain undocumented students who have attended and graduated from their primary and secondary schools to pay in-state tuition rates.

Those states are California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, and Washington.

Rhode Island considers in-state tuition rates for undocumented students on a case-by-case basis.

Five of the states that allow undocumented students to pay in-state tuition also allow the students to apply for state financial aid — California, Minnesota, New Mexico, Texas and Washington.

Can undocumented students get financial aid in other states?

Undocumented students cannot legally receive any federally-funded student financial aid, including loans, grants, scholarships or work-study money. With the exceptions above, in most states they are not eligible for state financial aid. Private scholarship funds and foundations generally require applicants to be U.S. citizens or legal residents.

However, as with admissions, it's up to the colleges and universities whether they will allow undocumented students to apply for aid.

Which colleges are considered “un-doc” friendly when it comes to financial aid?

There are several U.S. colleges and universities that offer undocumented students financial aid. Many classify undocumented students the same way foreign students are classified.

Some of the colleges that fall into that category are: Duke, Amherst, Brown, Emory, Harvard, Princeton, Oberlin College and Rice. There are several others.

What about the case in Texas?

According to a story from the Austin-American Statesman, Lara has Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, status. What that means is that certain young people who came to the United States as children receive a renewable two-year work permit and an exemption from deportation. The U.S. government has granted DACA status to more than half a million people.

As for the scholarship to the University of Texas, UT spokesman Gary Susswein explained, “In accordance with state law, Texas universities — including the University of Texas schools — have for decades granted two-semester tuition waivers to valedictorians of Texas public high schools, without regard to their residency status. State law also does not distinguish between documented and undocumented graduates of Texas high schools in admissions and financial aid decisions. University policies reflect that law."
"Business, never personal" is a foreign concept to the black community. Mateys cannot grasp that the beef against illegal immigrants is not personal, but merely an economic reality of the chess game.

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
Nikkas hate white people so much they don't even realize it affects them too :heh:

The fact she's getting a free ride to school means a legal law abiding citizen isn't.

I don't hate white people at all. But why the fukk don't black people focus their energy on the fact that an Indian has a better chance of getting sponsored and hired at an American company than a black US citizen. I mean this ain't even just about Hispanics, nikkas need to think for themselves. Start linking up with foreign blacks to generate some type of economic resources.

I say it all the time hispanic americans hire hispanics.
White people love to hire people from europe.
Chinese hiring people from China
Indian sponsoring visas for indians IN India for American IT contracts.
Black people out here crying and complaining like some hoes.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Being top 8% in your class :ehh:
What is he doing in school if not excelling? :wow:
My brother's resume is :wow:

My point was the only guarantee to getting into UT these days is being top 8% in your class. My brother is just outside that mark but his GPA is close to this chick's. The difference is she goes to a school that is 30% proficient in English and my brother goes to a really good school 20 minutes from my mom's crib. I also graduated from UT so if my brother doesn't get in with his credentials and an illegal gets in....damn straight I'll be pissed. wtf

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
Deport her.

Deport her relatives.

She represents assistance which isn't going to actual Americans and naturalized citizens.

Someone elsewhere went in on CVS hiring her .. how was she able to do it without legal I-9 documents?

The same way Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles can get sued by a nikka by only hiring Mexicans.

All her shyt is stolen. She fukks someone's credit and taxes up, she just steals someone else's.

And you nikkas have no opinion, you nikkas are actually torn on how to feel.

Stay sleep. Stay in a coma, brehs.
These new nikkas are idiots are torn smh. This is why people don't like Mexican illegals. Instead of playing it cool they are going to shove it in your face. All this money and assistance should be going to citizens not illegal leeches

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
That ish don't bother me homes.... I got no dog in this fight. This country was founded on "illegal immigration" so in my eyes I ain't trippin on people trying to come in and better their lives. Get their shot at the "Amerikkkan dream"

Yo folks, this lil broad, anybody (long as they not committing violent crimes) should be able to try and better themselves

Bruh. Do you not understand what you're saying?

Illegals TAKE JOBS done by black americans, historically. We all can't be lawyers and doctors. Most of the Coli can't. What you think about our people in hoods across this country?

There have been systemic studies on this:

http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1756&context=key_workplace

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H
:dahell:

Have you ever applied for a job before? They specifically ask for your legal status, unless you're working some bullshyt, minimum wage job
Again... U can't be this stupid

She's a hot commodity... She doesn't have to attend college here
If she does go to UT...u really think she's going to remain undocumented til graduation?
:what:

She is destined for big things..

College>>>Graduate school>>>Good job anywhere in the world

She is not worried about going to school or getting a job in this country