Tyla pleads the 5th about coloured Vs Black on the breakfast club. Her PR person jumps in.

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
Theres cultural similarities between Detroit and The Bay. Do you have alot of asians,whites,samoans who feel comfortable using the word nikka in Detroit:patrice:? Cultural similarities dont neccessarily speak to the nuance of racism,race relations,race awareness in a given place.

Also having history and knowing it,doesnt mean they can relate. Doesnt mean the black people in that environment discuss the history nearly as much as we do in America. White people can KNOW the history.

Plus by that logic Tyla and Africans in general should be ten times more well versed on slavery and white supremacy than anybody in the world. Since Africa is basically the beginning point of colonization.

You know the cultural similarity in between America and South Africa? WHITE SUPREMACY.

White Supremacy that from what I know far outweighs the history of white supremacy of Canada. By that alone I dont see how Drake should know more than her. Im not looking to condemn her or Drake. But yall have no business not being outraged that someone from where shes from doesnt have a decent knowledge base. You dont have to direct your anger towards her,but acknowledge her nation is either failing her. Those white supremacist are continuing to miseducate her and her people. Or shes protecting her "culture"/ caste system. Its your job to get to the bottom of it:respect:
What the fukk are you talking about? There is no similarities between the bay and Detroit. This is nothing more than unguided word vomit. Stop talking about things you don’t know abou

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What the fukk are you talking about? There is no similarities between the bay and Detroit. This is nothing more than unguided word vomit. Stop talking about things you don’t know abou

Move around,clearly your wet behind the ears still. Canada has cultural similarities though:mjlol:?

Your not equipped for this convo,and thats okay. Sometimes an acceptable position to take is Indian style:respect:#Sit #Listen

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
Move around,clearly your wet behind the ears still. Canada has cultural similarities though:mjlol:?

You’re not equipped for this convo,and thats okay. Sometimes an acceptable position to take is Indian style:respect:#Sit #Listen
I wouldn’t listen to you if there was a gun to my head. You’re talking about Asians which are a minority here and somoans which don’t even exist. You live in your bubble, talking out of your ass without any idea of how the world moves around you.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I don't see anything wrong with her written response or her response during the Breakfast Club interview. Race is largely a social construct and we as Americans tend to assume our constructs apply to everyone else. Clearly in South Africa they have a different concept of this, and "colored" is not the pejorative it is here. That's fine. The only person who failed in my eyes is CTG, who once again came off as a piece of shyt trying to stir something. He clearly doesn't care about blowback because let's face it: the show is irrelevant compared to where it was 10 years ago.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why are people so pressed about this? Not every country defines “black” the same, not sure why the internet is up in arms over her calling herself “colored” if that’s a racial designation in her country. Get off her dikk…one min they want everyone to be black the next they excommunicating mixed blacks, they can’t make up their mind either way so who cares what she is?

This

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
I don't see anything wrong with her written response or her response during the Breakfast Club interview. Race is largely a social construct and we as Americans tend to assume our constructs apply to everyone else. Clearly in South Africa they have a different concept of this, and "colored" is not the pejorative it is here. That's fine. The only person who failed in my eyes is CTG, who once again came off as a piece of shyt trying to stir something. He clearly doesn't care about blowback because let's face it: the show is irrelevant compared to where it was 10 years ago.
/thread

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Why are people so pressed about this? Not every country defines “black” the same, not sure why the internet is up in arms over her calling herself “colored” if that’s a racial designation in her country. Get off her dikk…one min they want everyone to be black the next they excommunicating mixed blacks, they can’t make up their mind either way so who cares what she is?
I think it had to do with her music and aesthetic - people are trying to figure out if it’s culture appropriation or not. To be fair, Trevor Noah understands that he’s black in the western context but defined differently in SA. Also, historically (and presently) coloured people are treated better than “black Africans” in South Africa. I think it’s just people trying to figure out how to label and identify with someone. I’m not pressed over it but I’m more surprised that she wasn’t prepared for it by her team. I’ve seen in real time black girls her age not identify with her as much after her comments.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Exactly

Whooooole lotta plea copping going on in here. Where was this understanding for Drake being from a different culture and not understanding American culture and politics:respect:?

The silence speaks volumes.
TYLA isn’t over here adopting slang from every region in the US every time she’s about to drop a new album either :sas2:

If he was over here sounding like a Canuck Kendrick couldn’t have pulled his card. :ufdup:

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
TYLA isn’t over here adopting slang from every region in the US every time she’s about to drop a new album either :sas2:

If he was over here sounding like a Canuck Kendrick couldn’t have pulled his card. :ufdup:
Tyla is also 22 and from a different country whereas Drake is pushing 40 and is surrounded by black Americans including his father. He just lacks intellectual curiosity.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I think it had to do with her music and aesthetic - people are trying to figure out if it’s culture appropriation or not. To be fair, Trevor Noah understands that he’s black in the western context but defined differently in SA. Also, historically (and presently) coloured people are treated better than “black Africans” in South Africa. I think it’s just people trying to figure out how to label and identify with someone. I’m not pressed over it but I’m more surprised that she wasn’t prepared for it by her team. I’ve seen in real time black girls her age not identify with her as much after her comments.
It’s not on her to redefine herself for American audiences. She shouldn’t be bullied into wearing the black label if she’s mixed. She’s says she’s colored in SA, and has said she’s has black heritage and is mixed…that answers questions. And it’s more than just her racial definition that has black girls bothered, they are bothered by her features and beauty. Even if she were to say she’s black, they’d attack from a featurism and “pretty privilege” angle. It’s a lot of hate for her just for being attractive. If she looked like Macy gray and was built like Lizzo, this race conversation would’ve never blown up to the extent it has.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Right. And that’s ok!!!
We can do that instead of trying to force a different answer out of her.

Do we have to identify with her to rock to her music? If the answer is yes, cool. Then let her get support from the other communities 🤷🏾‍♀️

I just hate seeing us try to claim ppl who don’t want to be claimed.

• Dap
Reactions: No1

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Tyla is also 22 and from a different country whereas Drake is pushing 40 and is surrounded by black Americans including his father. He just lacks intellectual curiosity.
Drake literally adopts whatever region he’s borrowing from when it’s time for a new sound or album. That’s part of why he got called out so easily. Where is his dad from? Does he talk like the brehs from there? Rap like them? Use their colloquialisms? Have their style?

That’s the point. He’s a Canadian with a FBA dad, but does he rep his dad’s home and sound like them??

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wouldn’t listen to you if there was a gun to my head. You’re talking about Asians which are a minority here and somoans which don’t even exist. You live in your bubble, talking out of your ass without any idea of how the world moves around you.

That was my point that went right over your head apparently. I said as an outsider it would be arrogant to say you know the nuances of race relations in Canada. You said i was wrong because a Detroit border city in Canada,is probably more similar to Detroit than the rest of Canada culturally. As if that would make you an expert on all of Canada.

I point out Detroit has cultural similarities with the bay,and you immediately point out the difference in racial demographics. Bingo!the various demographics and cultures of Canada and how they all get along and relate is something you dont know the intracacies of from Detroit. "Cultural similarities" and shared interest dont tell you that. You would have to have been there and experienced it throughout Canada to know.

But then again you think Drake knows what its like to be a black man in America because he spent summers in Memphis with his dad. So apparently you think thats something you can just pick up and embody on a whim.

Yall too blinded by her fineness obviously. How can a South African not have opinions on whitr supremacy? Like I said,if her system and nation failed her. She will be recieving the education when she comes to america,just like Drake did. She can do this the easy way or the hard way:respect:

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:At the end of the day, this is about not having pride in the tribe you belong to. She's clearly the Doja Cat/c00n type of female, the type to date only white boys, ect.

:mjlol:Of course the female posters on this site agree with her perspective. They don't want to be black women either.