Tyla pleads the 5th about coloured Vs Black on the breakfast club. Her PR person jumps in.

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Exactly

Whooooole lotta plea copping going on in here. Where was this understanding for Drake being from a different culture and not understanding American culture and politics:respect:?

The silence speaks volumes.

Canada has the racial history of South Africa?

Show your ignorance, brehs :mjlol:

generic-username

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
I think it had to do with her music and aesthetic - people are trying to figure out if it’s culture appropriation or not. To be fair, Trevor Noah understands that he’s black in the western context but defined differently in SA. Also, historically (and presently) coloured people are treated better than “black Africans” in South Africa. I think it’s just people trying to figure out how to label and identify with someone. I’m not pressed over it but I’m more surprised that she wasn’t prepared for it by her team. I’ve seen in real time black girls her age not identify with her as much after her comments.
She is an African who does Afrobeat music, what exactly is she appropriating

V Skyye

All Star
Daps
If she’s trying to break into an American market she has to do better. Unfortunately, we heavily focus on racial identity. And her being darker skinned with an Afro beats vibe make it necessary for her to break through the Black American market first to then fully be embraced by mainstream. That’s just the way it is. She’s too black appearing for white mainstream to accept her without the Black push first. Most “black” crossover artists were uplifted in our community first. Good luck to her if she thinks she can do without it. No one is trying to make her “black”. But just like when Mariah Carey’s debut single was pushed on Black audiences we wanted to know if you’re one of us or if you’re not. She explained her racial identity over and over again too until whites felt she was white enough and blacks felt she was black enough. It is what it is.

And women screaming about jealousy are crazy when mixed race women are disproportionately pushed in black entertainment spaces and black women are often their main supporters. Tyla just doesn’t have it.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
If she’s trying to break into an American market she has to do better. Unfortunately, we heavily focus on racial identity. And her being darker skinned with an Afro beats vibe make it necessary for her to break through the Black American market first to then fully be embraced by mainstream. That’s just the way it is. She’s too black appearing for white mainstream to accept her without the Black push first. Most “black” crossover artists were uplifted in our community first. Good luck to her if she thinks she can do without it. No one is trying to make her “black”. But just like when Mariah Carey’s debut single was pushed on Black audiences we wanted to know if you’re one of us or if you’re not. She explained her racial identity over and over again too until whites felt she was white enough and blacks felt she was black enough. It is what it is.

And women screaming about jealousy are crazy when mixed race women are disproportionately pushed in black entertainment spaces and black women are often their main supporters. Tyla just doesn’t have it.

Craig Davis from the UK had a simil;ar problem trying to break into the US market..I recall one incident where he had a White producer or manager or something and US breh's werent having that and Craig was confused..

In many threads over the years I warned against forcing these mixed people to somehow start identifying with Black, and how they cannot be relied upon as allies and will drop Black folks in a heartbeat and there was always someone telling me otherwise.

Ask Zimbabweans and Black South Africans about these people if you all think we lying..

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
People always talk about the big bad media then let shyt like this slide. WTF does this have to do with anything? This chick just want to promote her music. She says an answer and people pile on and get her out of here… then the breakfast club would run fast to read about it on the radio.

V Skyye

All Star
Daps
Craig Davis from the UK had a simil;ar problem trying to break into the US market..I recall one incident where he had a White producer or manager or something and US breh's werent having that and Craig was confused..

In many threads over the years I warned against forcing these mixed people to somehow start identifying with Black, and how they cannot be relied upon as allies and will drop Black folks in a heartbeat and there was always someone telling me otherwise.

Ask Zimbabweans and Black South Africans about these people if you all think we lying..
Very good point here. If you’re in Black spaces and presenting Black, we want to know if you’re an ally or not. I get that she was caught off guard by this initially, but her team should have caught on to this after the initial backlash and been better prepared to explain. We don’t owe anyone a co-sign. So if it’s too controversial a topic for her to engage with maybe she should skip black media outlets and platforms.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
The same "media tactics" most blacks complain about when it comes to trying to sabotage an artist or entertainer for clicks to create controversy is on display here

She's 22 ffs

But it's pretty typical ... he only does it to certain people
Right.. but these are the people that try to convince you that they’re the “new media” Charlamagne want them clicks just like everybody else. Now that girl might have a target on her back

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
She’s a woman of color what’s the issue?

If you notice women of color aren’t black… that’s where you have to make the distinction.. I’m America you have to make that distinction because then women of other ethnicities will try to claim shyt that’s specifically for black women

Unemployed GM

All Star
Daps

This pretty much sums it up,