Tyla pleads the 5th about coloured Vs Black on the breakfast club. Her PR person jumps in.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
It’s not on her to redefine herself for American audiences. She shouldn’t be bullied into wearing the black label if she’s mixed. She’s says she’s colored in SA, and has said she’s has black heritage and is mixed…that answers questions. And it’s more than just her racial definition that has black girls bothered, they are bothered by her features and beauty. Even if she were to say she’s black, they’d attack from a featurism and “pretty privilege” angle. It’s a lot of hate for her just for being attractive. If she looked like Macy gray and was built like Lizzo, this race conversation would’ve never blown up to the extent it has.
Actually - it is her job because selling involves finding a target audience and if your target audience feels like you don’t want to associate with them it’s bad for business. No one was bullying her into wearing the black label that I saw. I just saw an interview months ago where she called herself coloured and western audiences had no idea what she was talking about. It came across as weird to them and it was almost seen as when Neymar and Brazilian soccer players said they weren’t black because they were mixed and then got bananas thrown at them in Europe and were doing the stop the racism PSAs alongside black people.

Point is - you don’t have to deny your heritage or how you see yourself to give a better and nuanced answer as you’re introducing yourself and your culture to a people unfamiliar to you. Context matters. I don’t really get into that whole pretty privilege thing - things like that apply in someway to every person/artist. They will have something that bothers some people - but if you’re talented and smart enough you can overcome that. Snoh Allegra is a middle eastern chick doing R and B and has a bunch of brothers thirsting over her and has never gotten the problematic label for example.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Drake literally adopts whatever region he’s borrowing from when it’s time for a new sound or album. That’s part of why he got called out so easily. Where is his dad from? Does he talk like the brehs from there? Rap like them? Use their colloquialisms? Have their style?

That’s the point. He’s a Canadian with a FBA dad, but does he rep his dad’s home and sound like them??
That’s my point, he lacks the curiosity to understand what that shyt works against him.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Actually - it is her job because selling involves finding a target audience and if your target audience feels like you don’t want to associate with them it’s bad for business. No one was bullying her into wearing the black label that I saw. I just saw an interview months ago where she called herself coloured and western audiences had no idea what she was talking about. It came across as weird to them and it was almost seen as when Neymar and Brazilian soccer players said they weren’t black because they were mixed and then got bananas thrown at them in Europe and were doing the stop the racism PSAs alongside black people.

Point is - you don’t have to deny your heritage or how you see yourself to give a better and nuanced answer as you’re introducing yourself and your culture to a people unfamiliar to you. Context matters. I don’t really get into that whole pretty privilege thing - things like that apply in someway to every person/artist. They will have something that bothers some people - but if you’re talented and smart enough you can overcome that. Snoh Allegra is a middle eastern chick doing R and B and has a bunch of brothers thirsting over her and has never gotten the problematic label.
She’s selling herself to the world actually, and again, she has said she’s of mixed heritage before, but she doesnt need to change the way she identifies to fit others definitions. If you’re actually a fan, go look up colored in SA and learn why she’s identified that way and why she ain’t rolling with the blanket “black” label we use here.

and of course you don’t get into the pretty privilege thing, you’re a man. it’s definitely a thing for young women right now, as is featurism, and both have a segment of black American women bothered by her. Your example of Snoh and male reception is no where near equivalent to BW and how featurism plays into representation of race

Last edited:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
TYLA isn’t over here adopting slang from every region in the US every time she’s about to drop a new album either :sas2:

If he was over here sounding like a Canuck Kendrick couldn’t have pulled his card. :ufdup:

Shes also from South Africa. Sorry it just boggles my mind if she doesnt have enough knowledge to answer that simple question based on where shes from. She should be pressured to have an opinion and expand her knowledge base if she doesnt know like yall say. Yet yall are here trying to give her a pass.

Meanwhile you got American entertainers being pressured to take a stance on Palestine and Israel. Black coli posters as well as Jewish ones telling you how you should feel about Hammas or the Jews. But when it comes to Tyla "Leave her alone:damn:!"
wVDOf3.gif

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Shes also from South Africa. Sorry it just boggles my mind if she doesnt have enough knowledge to answer that simple question based on where shes from. She should be pressured to have an opinion and expand her knowledge base if she doesnt know like yall say. Yet yall are here trying to give her a pass.

Meanwhile you got American entertainers being pressured to take a stance on Palestine and Israel. Black coli posters as well as Jewish ones telling you how you should feel about Hammas or the Jews. But when it comes to Tyla "Leave her alone:damn:!"
wVDOf3.gif
She IS answering based on where she’s from :dead:

That’s the point. She doesn’t have to change the way she identifies because she’s in another country. She is coloured based on her worldview.

So when she visits the UK she will refer to herself as coloured.
When she visits Australia she will refer to herself as coloured.
When she visits Brazil she will refer to herself as coloured.
When she visits Argentina she will refer to herself as coloured.
When she visits Ghana she will refer to herself as coloured.
When she visits Barbados she will refer to herself as coloured.

So when she visits the United States, she is referring to herself as coloured.

That’s my point. She doesn’t need to switch up how she identifies or defines her background based on where she is visiting.

If she was in Brazil right now and referred to herself as coloured in an interview, Afro Brazilians wouldn’t be asking her why she identifies as such.

THAT is my point.

RC-P90

✊🏾
Bushed
Daps
she sitting there with skin darker than my momma and wearing cornrows and people acting like how dare she be called black.

it is cool if she aint black. her look and the sound of her music seems (what a lot of people call) "black". if everything about her is colored south african then whatever:yeshrug:

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
It’s not on her to redefine herself for American audiences. She shouldn’t be bullied into wearing the black label if she’s mixed. She’s says she’s colored in SA, and has said she’s has black heritage and is mixed…that answers questions. And it’s more than just her racial definition that has black girls bothered, they are bothered by her features and beauty. Even if she were to say she’s black, they’d attack from a featurism and “pretty privilege” angle. It’s a lot of hate for her just for being attractive. If she looked like Macy gray and was built like Lizzo, this race conversation would’ve never blown up to the extent it has.
Exactly, and that’s why I have a soft spot for her. It hits different when you’re older and can actually see this shyt happening in real time to a young girl. Folks mad because the pretty girl doesn’t identify with them.

The claws are out because she’s beautiful. She doesn’t have to bend over backwards or identify as something she isn’t to make Black ppl in the US feel better.
That’s honestly why I’m bothered.

And you’re sooooo right! This featurism shyt is a bigger conversation than I realized.
It’s been happening forever, but now we’ve put a name to it and her looks trigger the community.

She’s a “preference” (lol) who still looks Black (black enough) so Black men can claim her and say “hey she’s Black so you can’t be mad I’m with her” and Black girls can claim her and say she represents us.

She is new here so she doesn’t even grasp exactly how deep this shyt is.

But it’s all mainly because she’s beautiful and folks always want to claim anyone with positive attributes.

Like you said, if she were mixed but big as Lizzo no one would GAF.

Beautiful women trigger people.
It’s not her fault.

I hope she stands on her square.

I can acknowledge that she is beautiful and also not feel any way about her claiming coloured/mix. I don’t need her to identify with me for me to like her.

Same way I don’t need Sabrina Carpenter to identify with me. Or Khelani. Or Snoh (as someone mentioned earlier).

As long as she doesn’t forget her place like Dani Leigh and start saying/doing dumb shyt and disrespecting us, there shouldn’t be a problem.

She’s cute and is making fun, cute music. Full
Stop.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
:francis: sad...whole situation is sad...i think alot of americans black americans are like :dwillhuh: because they dont know what colored means in the context of where she's from...:francis: but she seems to be in denial too.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They tried to set her up I’m guessing

I’ve had it explained to me by a South African and it made perfect sense

Their verseioj of coloured is like FBA in a way