Tyla pleads the 5th about coloured Vs Black on the breakfast club. Her PR person jumps in.

Unemployed GM

All Star
Daps
I don't see anything wrong with her written response or her response during the Breakfast Club interview. Race is largely a social construct and we as Americans tend to assume our constructs apply to everyone else. Clearly in South Africa they have a different concept of this, and "colored" is not the pejorative it is here. That's fine. The only person who failed in my eyes is CTG, who once again came off as a piece of shyt trying to stir something. He clearly doesn't care about blowback because let's face it: the show is irrelevant compared to where it was 10 years ago.
Unfortunately, the “American” construct on race does apply world wide. It just appears to be different from the people going through it. Still white supremacy.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Ok this thread made me check on her album. I like it even though it’s like one long beat chopped up into different songs :russ: I need her to win cause it’s dance music that doesn’t sound vulgar

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
The fact she can't answer definitively tells me her family fumbled the ball and are definitely on that white worship train...

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Good for her and her team not to fall for the bait of race hustling crybabies who don't even know how they classify race themselves. In South Africa, the designations are different and she falls in the colored category there. "Colored" has a different meaning here, so if she was to go on record saying she's colored, people who only view things from an American perspective would be up in arms.

The same race war crybabies feel mixed people need to claim black one day and then the next they feel like they aren't really black and can't be trusted.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
The fact she can't answer definitively tells me her family fumbled the ball and are definitely on that white worship train...

How is she on the white worship train? Colored is literally the designation for mixed people in South Africa, but in America it has a different meaning where all blacks are referred to as 'coloreds'. If she would have said she is colored, folks would be crying about her identifying herself by a derogatory, racist term when in South Africa it has a completely different connotation. There's no winning for her answering that question.

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
I am out on this woman and wont play her music, she comes across as entitled and arrogant, the average person on the street looking at her will never question she is of any other race than black

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
Odd.

Just answer what your definition of coloured is.

To back away from it like it’s a subject that’s too sensitive is very weird and telling.
To what end though? She has nothing to gain from answering the question and she’ll likely be attacked regardless of her answer. Nobody (who really pays attention to TBC) is going to say “That was a great explanation, thank you for that.” Most social media frequenters are too ignorant to have any nuanced conversation about race and ethnicity anyway… and I don’t get Tyla as someone who cares to be the voice of an issue like this anyway. She just likes being a “baddie,” dancing and making music. It’s like caring what Coi Leray has to say about race relations in America.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Craig Davis from the UK had a simil;ar problem trying to break into the US market..I recall one incident where he had a White producer or manager or something and US breh's werent having that and Craig was confused..

In many threads over the years I warned against forcing these mixed people to somehow start identifying with Black, and how they cannot be relied upon as allies and will drop Black folks in a heartbeat and there was always someone telling me otherwise.

Ask Zimbabweans and Black South Africans about these people if you all think we lying..
I think he had a white guitarist in his band, and they told him to replace him with a black guitarist if he wants to break America. Craig remained loyal and said “hell no, I’m sticking with this white boy.” :mjlol:

David says he was told an all-black support band would maximise sales among an African-American audience.

In an interview with BBC Radio 5 Live, the singer said he found it "disappointing that there was still this slight sense of racism going on over there".

Craig, son of a half-Jewish white mother and a father from Grenada, said he had no intention of changing musicians:

"It shouldn't matter what colour or creed you are. Fraser plays licks that half those urban guys can't even fathom. They can lump it or leave it."
“Urban guys” huh? :mjpls:

That’s the guitarist in question: Fraser T Smith, who has gone on to produce for Adele and others.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
That reminds me.. Craig had two different videos for Fill Me In… the UK version and the ‘Urban’ version to crack America. Spot the difference. :mjpls:

UK:

‘Urban’: