True Detective - Season 3 (Jan. 13th/Official Thread)

Romell

Superstar
Daps
I found this meh.

Only thing I enjoyed about this season was Carmen and Mahershala's performances. Otherwise I don't think I would have missed anything had I not watched at all. :yeshrug:

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
And he said he would quit during their conversation at the bar. She also knew that this particular case consumed his mind since 80.

So she made an executive decision not to tell him directly, but put it in her book instead.

"You want to hide something from a nikka? Put it in a book" - Jadakiss

:damn:

Maybe Hays figures it all out if he read his wife's book when she was still around

Maybe, maybe not.

I'm a researcher and writer by trade, so maybe this is a little different for me, but consuming information is not the same as processing it, which itself doesn't necessarily lead to useful interpretation.

From my point of view, it may have been that it didn't necessarily matter if Wayne had read the book before 2015. He was wedded to a certain interpretation of events (murder, possible pedophile ring) that really ruled out an interpretation of events that didn't involve grotesque violence and/or corruption. Essentially, Wayne and Amelia were working on parallel tracks that never intersected during the 35 years that they lived together (and after they dropped the case for their own safety/marriage, those tracks could never intersect). And even when he started working on the case in 2015, he was still wedded to the lurid interpretation of events as much as he had been wedded to Amelia.

He could have read that book 10,000 times and never really figured it out at that point. He needed the openness that came from having some sort of closure, even if it was a false closure, to read and interpret the case in a different way. Junius's story, and the fact that it was in many ways completely different from what they had expected, opened him up to new possibilities in the case. Only in that moment was he really able to allow his and Amelia's tracks to intersect, read the book, and get anything significant from it.

So yeah, for me, all these people who are saying that Wayne could have solved the case if he just read the book don't really have a firm grasp of how research and interpretation actually works. shyt, Amelia's ghost even tells you what's happening during her monologue in that scene.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
"I'm gonna take 8 hours worth of an investigation and have it solved and explained in less than 5 minutes at a kitchen table." :troll:

For real, and I'm actually kinda glad Saulnier left now.

This was a pretty bad finale. This wasn't about fan theories paying off, it was just awfully structured storytelling.

I'm curious to hear @hex's thoughts on it

It'll be a day or two before I get a chance to peep, but I'll definitely post my thoughts in the thread fam.

Fred.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
That's real heroic of you, you cyclops mufukka

:laff: :dead:

Also I'm not about to give Cyclops a pass for this... they kidnapped the girl and was responsible for the boy death :russ:

It didn't really hit me until thinking about it this morning, but Junius Watts was actually a weirdo :sitdown:

He tried to spin it as setting Julie free, but he gave her his address because he wanted her to come over and live with him and see him as a savior :cape:. But as soon as she got out she threw the address away and ran in the other direction.

That's actually the reason the nuns gave Julie a new identity. They got wind of the fact that this weird pervert was out looking for her.

She wasn't hiding from Hoyt, she was hiding from Sir Junius.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
They didn't wrap up that Henry affair with the doc interviewer.

I assume he didn't get around to telling his wife he smashing a PAWG :mjgrin:

She was on the porch serving Iced Teas and smiling like the family was stronger than ever :troll:

Wayne touched on this. Telling her would be a selfish move and doesn’t change anything.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Yeah, I'm on the "meh" side of the finale.

I felt the last 30 minutes were on par with the rest of the season (from the scene were they are talking in the fake graveyard), just some high quality shyt. Though I gotta admit I went :heh: at the music during the Hayes/Julie scene. Like, what suspense are we really building up to? Old Hayes struggled with his mind all season - even in that key interview to the Hoyts house maid - but we couldn't get to that part up until the end of the ep, it just felt weird and kind of forced to get one last "mistery/twist".

My main problem was with the first 2/3 of the episode though, it felt like I was watching another show at times. Just trying to move the plot forwards so we could get to the "real" point of the season. Yes, this was never about the twists, and in the end it wasn't even about the case, it was more about Hayes and how this whole thing affected all these character's lifes.

But I think the case was way more compelling than anything besides Hayes and Roland's relationship so when I get 80 minutes of "rush the case, dump of the info, and focus on the characters" I'm like :ld: this is not The Americans or Mad Men were I'm invested in whatever these people do.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Loved the scene with Roland and the dog.

I'm still pissed Tom never got to see his daughter, and his baby momma knew she was alive living close by.

Cyclops is dead azz wrong. He knew a crackhead mom sold her daughter and the father was looking for her.

I am confused about: - did Julie and the nuns know she was the missing Purcell girl? Did the Ardoin boy have to tell her? And why wouldn't she want to see her dad?

Julie was getting drugged so I doubt after awhile she knew much of anything outside of she didn't want to be in the pink room anymore. The nuns at first just knew her as Mary July when she showed up, but when Junius came asking for her, they helped hide her (catching HIV and dying), so they might know she was kidnapped or had terrible things done to her but not exactly what happened. Ardoin married Julie. He saw her teaching at the church and they both recognized each other and fell in love. As for Julie not wanting to see Tom, well if she did, that puts her back on the radar and Junius comes to find her.

As for my second thoughts on the finale, I still think it was good, it's just that the tying of everything together was a bit cheap as was the dementia coming when Wayne finally met Julie but even though those were the two biggest plot points of this episode, I still liked how everything turned out. Everything isn't going to be some big crazy twist, a 25 year old case coming to an end, this is most likely how it would end. Same as S1 finale, the crazy serial killer killed while the powerful who had a hand in is deeds, using their wealth and power to kill any investigation into them.

IVS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
In the sky
As far as people wanting twists

I mean...I read a whole lot of theories of how it would end but I don’t recall seeing people predicting Julie faked her death and got a happily ever after :skip:
Somebody on here actually did call it though. That the Mike guy would have been working the grounds at the convent and recognized Julie and would have saved her.