True Detective - Season 3 (Jan. 13th/Official Thread)

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
I get that s3 is about relationships and how they evolve and devolve over time but if you're going to do that you have to make sure your audience is truly invested in that relationship to even care about it (Wayne and Emelia). This is what Sam Esmail got right in Homecoming and what Nic kind of stumbled with this season. Still a great season of television. Hope there is a season 4.

Last edited:

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Also and before people start saying Wayne remembered Julie when he drank the water, I disagree. Cuz he handed his son that paper and looked confused and told him he didn’t know what it was.

If he recognized Julie and played it off then he wouldn’t have said that.
The look on Hays face when his son casually crumples up the paper is enough to suggest that's not the case. Which is kinda the point. We've only been hinted at that maybe sometimes Hays plays dumb so we can only guess that this might be in of those times. The musical cue when he drinks the water (same as when he's in the car) and the close up on his eyes suggests that maybe he really did see everything.

The conversation with Emelia about their relationship being defined wholly by this case and needing to move on from it gives us reason to see why he wouldn't have said anything to Roland about it.

If you want right say Hays' pause when his son crumples up the paper is the reason why he looks at it before putting it away then :yeshrug:

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Marty and Rust will never be topped bro stop it

This season was pretty good, I'm excited for future seasons. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Think I need to rewatch season 2 because I forget most of it
They weren’t really deep characters; Woody didn’t even have any motivation half the season. It was a typical buddy cop relationship. I liked both characters (and they were funny) but Cohle made them interesting.

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
The look on Hays face when his son casually crumples up the paper is enough to suggest that's not the case. Which is kinda the point. We've only been hinted at that maybe sometimes Hays plays dumb so we can only guess that this might be in of those times. The musical cue when he drinks the water (same as when he's in the car) and the close up on his eyes suggests that maybe he really did see everything.

The conversation with Emelia about their relationship being defined wholly by this case and needing to move on from it gives us reason to see why he wouldn't have said anything to Roland about it.

If you want right say Hays' pause when his son crumples up the paper is the reason why he looks at it before putting it away then :yeshrug:
Good point. Symbolically it could mean that his son is able to put to rest something his father suffered with for most of his life;in essence, it's representative of Henry giving his father a new identity, such that he throws away/crumples his old life, and begins a new one as a grandfather. That is his role now, as given to by his son, who says, 'its time to be a grand dad now."

Look, the story structure of the entire series--if we are being totally honest--was half assed. The acting and character development made this season great, also the relationships. With the way so many questions went unanswered I really get the feeling some kind of quarrel happened between the director and someone at HBO. All season the director nick has been flat out affirming or rejecting plot theories, something completely unheard of by artistic standards. And now we have that tweet saying a scene was cut. Yes that's common, but with so many unanswered questions from the show I get the feeling that the season was supposed to be longer, but someone or something got in the way and so they had to wrap up a lot in the last episode. I mean, we don't even learn who was passing the notes for Christ sake :gucci: No way in hell this was intentional. If.it was, the writers should never work on TV again because they are breaking the basic tents of storytelling by telling and not showing, as well as leaving too much unresolved

CurrencyChase

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Ohio, Iowa, & Minnesota
How they gonna show the perspective of Julie when we're wondering if she's in a pedo ring, dead, drugged out somewhere, the pink room, all those other theories and you want an episode dedicated to her and see character development from a missing person and leave zero imagination :beli:

:aicmon:
Show her before the kidnapping. Let the audience see that she is a sweet little girl who loved her brother. That will impact the twist big time because people would actually care about her more.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Good point. Symbolically it could mean that his son is able to put to rest something his father suffered with for most of his life;in essence, it's representative of Henry giving his father a new identity, such that he throws away/crumples his old life, and begins a new one as a grandfather. That is his role now, as given to by his son, who says, 'its time to be a grand dad now."

Look, the story structure of the entire series--if we are being totally honest--was half assed. The acting and character development made this season great, also the relationships. With the way so many questions went unanswered I really get the feeling some kind of quarrel happened between the director and someone at HBO. All season the director nick has been flat out affirming or rejecting plot theories, something completely unheard of by artistic standards. And now we have that tweet saying a scene was cut. Yes that's common, but with so many unanswered questions from the show I get the feeling that the season was supposed to be longer, but someone or something got in the way and so they had to wrap up a lot in the last episode. I mean, we don't even learn who was passing the notes for Christ sake :gucci: No way in hell this was intentional. If.it was, the writers should never work on TV again because they are breaking the basic tents of storytelling by telling and not showing, as well as leaving too much unresolved
You mean the hole in the wall?

The kids were passing notes to each other.

That's why the detectives were upset with themselves when they realized it because they spent so much time investigating the uncle and then eventually thinking the father was guilty based on that hole thinking it was some sort of pedophile situation.

As far as they're concerned Tom Purcell is dead because they got that hole wrong and believe he might have been guilty of molesting his own children.

Which oddly enough is something they showed instead of explained.

That hole is another example of Nic's commentary on the fans of the genre. This season entirely, Hays and Amelia are basically the fans of dark TV murder mysteries, looking for every dark twist. Believing even they're own kids are caught up in a giant, nefarious child sex ring.

The detectives see that hole and never for a second consider it could just be two siblings doing a dumb kid thing that kids do.

And that fukks up their entire perspective of the investigation. That hole plus the boys pose and they look in the wrong direction for 10 years.

Last edited:

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
As far as people wanting twists

I mean...I read a whole lot of theories of how it would end but I don’t recall seeing people predicting Julie faked her death and got a happily ever after :skip:

All twists arent good or clever. This was M.Night Shaymalan the village level of weak twists

:skip:

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All season the director nick has been flat out affirming or rejecting plot theories, something completely unheard of by artistic standards
What other shows have people throwing it crazy theories then getting upset when the show doesn't confirm or deny the theory?

The creator of Mr Robot came out during the last season and deaded some shyt because people doing something similar

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
What other shows have people throwing it crazy theories then getting upset when the show doesn't confirm or deny the theory?

The creator of Mr Robot came out during the last season and deaded some shyt because people doing something similar
People found out the twist of Westworld and I think Mr Robot too so they both shifted their plots around for the next season to throw the theorizing viewers off. I think Nic followed suit.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
I felt like there was too much explaining from the man with one eye. Too much telling and not enough showing[/B].

Ali did a fantastic job for this season. There was so much tension built up and I feel the finale was a bit of a let down. Still a solid season but I have to give it a 8.5/10

I'll say this. Finales are always tough to do. It's really one of the episodes that you cannot please everyone. Very few shows have gotten a season/series finale right.

I remember the Mad Men series finale feeling quite rushed.
This leads me to believe that the Nick P. may wanted more episodes (perhaps 1 or 2 more) to allow the storyline to flesh out completely, but HBO only approved for 8...due to budget constraints.

Just like Season 5 of The Wire :francis:

Last edited: