TRIANGLE STRATEGY (PC, Switch) (March 4, 2022) (PC on October 13, 2022)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Hope square enix throw a bigger budget at Asano for a sequel. They don’t need FFT if they keep expanding on this, although it won’t have the brand power of FFT. They just need to better optimize the resolution, especially on the sprites themselves.

It seems like Matsuno won’t return to FFT so this is a nice alternative. I’m just worried they are gonna try something different again after this. If they are gonna go back to octopath after this they need to split into two teams

Also, i think the pacing needs adjusting, i think making it so narrative heavy is a turn-off even for the type of market that loves these games.

They can do all this while still giving more unique storyline and sidequest battles. The pacing of Matsuno games were perfect. I like going off and doing a sidequest and having to fight through battles to get more story.

This game is more in line with 13 sentinels than a standard tactics game but the story isn’t as unique.

Last edited:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
This game is more in line with 13 sentinels than a standard tactics game but the story isn’t as unique.
I thought the same until around Chapter 7 or so

Not a bad thing at all, its just there isn't the right form of agency there imo. The way the dialogue is laid out, you'd think it was a real RPG with towns and hubs and all that.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I thought the same until around Chapter 7 or so

Not a bad thing at all, its just there isn't the right form of agency there imo. The way the dialogue is laid out, you'd think it was a real RPG with towns and hubs and all that.

Don’t get me wrong i do like the story in this game, it’s just not enough to want to watch 15 minutes of exposition (main quest and sidequest) before each fight. 13 sentinels was a complete mind-fukk in comparison especially with the non-linear story.

This is more of the same for the genre which is political drama set in Medieval era, though this doesnt have the magic and intrigue of tactics. No big dragons to fight or anything, that I’ve seen.

Theres another game that feels much more like FFT on switch called Fell Seal. But I kinda like the set classes in this game better. All the storyline characters in fell seal felt lackluster.

In other words, give me the story, just tell more of it during battles

Tactics_internal-700x466.jpg

Last edited:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
NG+ keeps your level and you enemies start at level 34 on the run back :dead: first stage I got steamrolled
Don’t get me wrong i do like the story in this game, it’s just not enough to want to watch 15 minutes of exposition (main quest and sidequest) before each fight. 13 sentinels was a complete mind-fukk in comparison especially with the non-linear story.

This is more of the same for the genre which is political drama set in Medieval era, though this doesnt have the magic and intrigue of tactics. No big dragons to fight or anything, that I’ve seen.

Theres another game that feels much more like FFT on switch called Fell Seal. But I kinda like the set classes in this game better. All the storyline characters in fell seal felt lackluster
I was in on Fell Seal early and they had a real chance to do something special but tapped out when it come to pushing the envelope. Game had a ton of potential.

What I mean with the 13 Sentinels thing, is that when those segments were occurring you were actively engaged. Pulling stuff from your inventory, reviewing past conversations, trying to open up new pathways constantly. That was a part of the game play. In the same way that in a traditional RPG going through towns - you're listening (or not) to NPCs, but you're also looking around, exploring, maybe run into something unexpected, or hell come across a 1/20 collectibles. T

This is choose your own adventure Tactics Ogre when it comes to narrative. They don't do this anymore at all, and while its appreciated in a sense, its the one part of the game where I wish they'd have tried to push the for something new. Ironically, they sort of nailed what Sakura Wars was shooting for once upon a time. At least there's no Fire Emblem face touching simulator or true filler. But I agree its too much of a throwback for many. Kinda think the fantastical shyt shoved into titles has worn out its welcome too tbh. A lot of strategy games are moving away from that lately.

I wouldn't even call it a political drama after the first third of the game though. After the table is set, you just spend the rest of the game debating on how you're gonna get fukked over and by who :mjlol:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
NG+ keeps your level and you enemies start at level 34 on the run back :dead: first stage I got steamrolled

I was in on Fell Seal early and they had a real chance to do something special but tapped out when it come to pushing the envelope. Game had a ton of potential.

What I mean with the 13 Sentinels thing, is that when those segments were occurring you were actively engaged. Pulling stuff from your inventory, reviewing past conversations, trying to open up new pathways constantly. That was a part of the game play. In the same way that in a traditional RPG going through towns - you're listening (or not) to NPCs, but you're also looking around, exploring, maybe run into something unexpected, or hell come across a 1/20 collectibles. T

This is choose your own adventure Tactics Ogre when it comes to narrative. They don't do this anymore at all, and while its appreciated in a sense, its the one part of the game where I wish they'd have tried to push the for something new. Ironically, they sort of nailed what Sakura Wars was shooting for once upon a time. At least there's no Fire Emblem face touching simulator or true filler. But I agree its too much of a throwback for many. Kinda think the fantastical shyt shoved into titles has worn out its welcome too tbh. A lot of strategy games are moving away from that lately.

I wouldn't even call it a political drama after the first third of the game though. After the table is set, you just spend the rest of the game debating on how you're gonna get fukked over and by who :mjlol:

Yeah, I agree they could “game-ify” the expositional scenes i bit more. I guess they try to do that with implementing the choice based system and voting but its still like 20 minutes of straight up dialogue. It’s actually insane. Tactics ogre had a well done choice system but it still gave you the same amount of battles as Tactics.

Another game i think does the non-battle segments well is Banner Saga. They have the whole survival aspect with the choice based narrative that makes you excited to follow through with. If they aren’t gonna just give you more map battles they gotta come up with a better hook for the non-combat focused part of the game which is honestly like 70% of this.

Edit-

I was being generous with 15-20 minute cutscenes…if you are actually letting them play out (which im doing) it’s legit just like watching a tv show.

I’m just putting my switch down and letting it auto play in the background like a podcast.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Just cheesed my way to victory :blessed:

where you’re supposed to use those fire pillars to burn the town down. I decided not to use them cause obviously they wouldnt give you the option if it didnt have some kind of negative consequence. After the 3rd wave of enemies i knew i was finished, i just could not hold it down with the unit set up i had. But I realized my hawk archer chick and frederika were on a roof and after i killed the archers and mages realized no one could actually get up there including the full metal bytch.

So i just rained down arrows and fire on the remaining like 6 soldiers left. The rest of my team was finished and my remaining two units had almost no health left :whew:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I might go and buy it tomorrow.

Can the game be compared to Octopath Traveler in terms of story or is it totally different? I had about between 60 hours in Octopath but couldn't bring myself to finish it. The game's stories were well presented but very surface-level and the almost non-existent interactions between characters turn me off a lot.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Can the game be compared to Octopath Traveler in terms of story or is it totally different? I had about between 60 hours in Octopath but couldn't bring myself to finish it. The game's stories were well presented but very surface-level and the almost non-existent interactions between characters turn me off a lot.

I didnt play octopath but the character relationships and interaction in this game is well done for the type of game it is

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

Honestly, if Octopath didn't have the classic aesthetic and a decent OST - people would've had no problems being blunt about how many issues that game had.

This is the exact opposite. It could've bad or generic as fukk designs throughout and there's still a great game here that would've been appreciated.