Tom Joyner offers Rachel Jeantel a FULL SCHOLARSHIP to any HBCU - (Trayvon Martin)

MR. Conclusion

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
You can't force somebody to do what they don't want to do. She can get past her "deficiencies" if she really wants to. The only question here is her motivation.

This thread (like others) highlights that there are those of us who will find the good in almost any situation, while some of us will look for higher standards.

Black_Jesus

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
from the home of coca-cola, i'm not referring to s
I added some shyt to that post, you can respond to that too if you want.

Ok

For starters.. spelman tuition is like $30, 000... The U tuition is like
$20, 000... why spend $30, 000 (which is the price for most HBCUs :scusthov:)on the young lady if she wants to go to the school for 20, 000.. And plus I coulda sworn the environment they were in was predominantly white anyway

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
She's at a ripe age right now. She needs to be going into something productive, and expanding her environment and view of life.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Ok

For starters.. spelman tuition is like $30, 000... The U tuition is like
$20, 000... why spend $30, 000 (which is the price for most HBCUs :scusthov:)on the young lady if she wants to go to the school for 20, 000.. And plus I coulda sworn the environment they were in was predominantly white anyway

1. lol, well if he wanna pay that its on him. I understand where your coming from, and if she did want to go somewhere else Tom should be obliged to offer it. I just think its in her best interest to keep it black at this point I'm not even gonna mince words. At the very least she can get to a graduate level knowing that she doesn't have to bend over or change herself radically to fit some mold. :ld:

2. You really think she chillin with all the white kids at school? I went to a predominantly white school for 5 years and all 5 of those years all the black kids fiercely segregated themselves not because we hated whites but because we were all more familiar with one another given our home environments and cultural similarities. I'd be willing to bet the same can be said for Jeantel, so why wouldn't an HBCU be a good look?

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
lol at it taking only 5 posts for people to find a way to shyt on an underprivileged girl being given a free education.

Nikkaz will find a way to sh*t on you for donating to orphans. Nikkaz just like to sh*t on others in general :manny:

Reckless

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This gesture actually has less to do with the girl and much more to do with Tom Joyner and his agenda. He knew the type of publicity this would get and wants it out there that he supports HBCU's and to help reinforce belief in HBCU's. If this was only about Rachel, then the scholarship would likely be to any school.

Lavish

Its Lavish, hoe
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Tdot.. till the death of me
If he's helping her obtain her GED, then i'm sure there will be a level of preparation for college as well. Because she's illiterate now, doesn't mean she will be forever.Illiteracy is not AIDS, there is a cure for itand it's called education.

They cured AIDS :dwillhuh: ???

:lupe:

I think you may be illiterate breh.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
The ''why send her to a raggedy HBCU' is in here somewhere

Very interested to hear the brehs @Lewis Black @No_bammer_weed and @Malta take on this topic.

I don't see anything wrong with it, if she gets her GED she's already on the path to self improvement, this just removes all the roadblocks that would be in her path. The offer is there, if she wants it all she has to do is apply herself.

I'm all about self improvement, even if she tries and fails I wouldn't look down on her :manny:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
That's good for her, now if she respects herself she'll use this as a stepping stool to achieve a better life, they should give her a free year long membership to Bally total fitness while they're at it cause her body is horrible for a 19 year old