Today is the 9th anniversary of Uncle Phil becoming head of Xbox. Get in here and show respect for this legend.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
list goes on, so yeah people referring to Sony 1st party games as movie games or cinematic games it's because that's literally there Bread and Butter. It's the games that they've been dropping since the PS4 and they doubled down with it right on into the PS5. Every series that aint that, we haven't heard of since 2016

No, their bread and butter is big budget single player games, yall just lump them all into “movie games” because no one else invest or can produce games like that. Aside from Rockstar and maybe a couple other publishers.

None of those games you mentioned have anything in common, ones an open world, ones a platform shooter, ones character action game, etc. theres as much diversity amongst sonys first party games as there are probably amongst all single player AAA games in the industry, to label all single player games movie games doesn’t happen because they don’t have the same budgets, but they do have the same amount of cutscenes and walk and talk sections.

Psychonauts 2 has way more cutscenes than Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart but you are quicker to call the later a “movie game” because its just more polished. Thats really all this is, sony games are more polished than the majority of games, and yall don’t know how to rationalize anyway else

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No, their bread and butter is big budget single player games, yall just lump them all into “movie games” because no one else invest or can produce games like that. Aside from Rockstar and maybe a couple other publishers.

None of those games you mentioned have anything in common, ones an open world, ones a platform shooter, ones character action game, etc. theres as much diversity amongst sonys first party games as there are probably amongst all single player AAA games in the industry, to label all single player games movie games doesn’t happen because they don’t have the same budgets, but they do have the same amount of cutscenes and walk and talk sections.

Psychonauts 2 has way more cutscenes than Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart but you are quicker to call the later a “movie game” because its just more polished. Thats really all this is, sony games are more polished than the majority of games, and yall don’t know how to rationalize anyway else

You got it

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:snoop:
Bruh having cutscenes or CGI is not what makes a "movie game" its crazy yall arguing this. Like it's not even a bad thing, it's something sony has mastered that most other publishers don't do well. Infact I'd say the only other publisher to really do it well is ironically enough Activision with COD I hate COD but I'll watch the story mode.

I just don't want ONLY that from them, and that's what sony has been doing. Those games are very hit or miss for me It's a very Minor complaint.
But yall have at it, in the meantime everyone else even the most casual of casual know what I mean if I say playstation has movie games.
You literally make zero sense hence why people are always "arguing" this with y'all lol. None of the points you make ever stay consistent.

It's just a stupid way you guys try to pigeonhole Sony games to critique them as a whole. Saying God of War is now a "story game with action" instead of an action game is peak stupidity. There's literally MORE gameplay variety and things to do in there than the older ones.

652h8Nj.png

There's literally MORE gameplay, this isn't even debatable. Saying God of War is less of a game and more of a "movie" that you watch is literally stupid.

So comparing here, God of War 2018 has MORE cutscenes but even almost 4 times as much "game to it unless you think it's 51 hours to fully complete with the bulk of that being cutscenes. Anyone saying it is is just a goddamn liar.

All "cinematic" ever meant from a layperson is that the cutscenes were like a movie. That's it. Saying "the camera zooms in" or "forces you into a story" is literally console warrior babble. A game seamlessly transitioning a cutscene right into the game without loading is literally a technological improvement. Old games had to load FMVs or have load screens between cutscenes which now isn't even necessary anymore.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You literally make zero sense hence why people are always "arguing" this with y'all lol. None of the points you make ever stay consistent.

It's just a stupid way you guys try to pigeonhole Sony games to critique them as a whole. Saying God of War is now a "story game with action" instead of an action game is peak stupidity. There's literally MORE gameplay variety and things to do in there than the older ones.

652h8Nj.png

There's literally MORE gameplay, this isn't even debatable. Saying God of War is less of a game and more of a "movie" that you watch is literally stupid.

So comparing here, God of War 2018 has MORE cutscenes but even almost 4 times as much "game to it unless you think it's 51 hours to fully complete with the bulk of that being cutscenes. Anyone saying it is is just a goddamn liar.

All "cinematic" ever meant from a layperson is that the cutscenes were like a movie. That's it. Saying "the camera zooms in" or "forces you into a story" is literally console warrior babble. A game seamlessly transitioning a cutscene right into the game without loading is literally a technological improvement. Old games had to load FMVs or have load screens between cutscenes which now isn't even necessary anymore.

Also, structurally there is no difference between a game like Final Fantasy 7 Remake and God of War, or Last of Us and Resident Evil 4.

You can equate every major Sony game to another game in its genre and see how little the other game has received the “movie game” label. Like i said, its because sony invest bigger budgets into animation, motion capture, voice acting, and don’t half ass their writing that all their games “are the same cinematic games” when in fact it’s just that they actually care about the presentation of them.

No one is gonna sit here and tell me god of war, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, lack in gameplay content or systems over any other AAA games released over the last 10 years.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Movie Game
giphy.gif

Arcade game :troll:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

652h8Nj.png

With God of War shipped and in the hands of our fans, I find myself contemplating the moments that helped define the new visual cinematic style we utilized for God of War.

GOW devs themselves went into great detail about the lengths they went through to turn the game into a “cinematic experience” even calling it “new” as a departure from the old style of GOW games.

You think they lying too:ohhh:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I have to laugh especially at metal gear solid becoming a “movie game” at 4, when i specifically remember my older brother beating part one turning around and saying to me “its like a movie” :dead:
I don't mind cutscenes, I just hate games that have "garbage" cutscenes and writing. Like, I HATED the Tomb Raider reboot games because the story and narrative was mind-numbingly bad quality compared to Uncharted. It trying to be like Uncharted imo failed big time because it just felt lesser quality.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I don't mind cutscenes, I just hate games that have "garbage" cutscenes and writing. Like, I HATED the Tomb Raider reboot games because the story and narrative was mind-numbingly bad quality compared to Uncharted. It trying to be like Uncharted imo failed big time because it just felt lesser quality.

Yeah, tomb raider reboot tried 100% to do what Uncharted was doing but since Naughty Dog are so good at making the game FEEL good, and LOOK good its written off as a shallow “movie” game.

It’s like people threw up their hands and said we’ll no one else can do this so lets just put everything sony does in their own special little category

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

GOW devs themselves went into great detail about the lengths they went through to turn the game into a “cinematic experience” even calling it “new” as a departure from the old style of GOW games.

You think they lying too:ohhh:
Yes, the game has a visual cinematic style.

That doesn't contradict that the game has more gameplay in it than previous games. The problem with you guy's logic is you try to create this narrative(no pun intended) that these games somehow sacrifice great gameplay as if there's some sort of singular cache of "game" to make and that they have to take away in one area of the game to make up for another.

This weird talking point almost always make little sense when other games are brought up that do the same thing.

Like, are these games suddenly worse off because the "visual cinematic" no cut camera thing is implemented?

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yes, the game has a visual cinematic style. That doesn't contradict that the game has more gameplay in it than previous games. The problem with you guy's logic is you try to create this narrative(no pun intended) that these games somehow sacrifice great gameplay as if there's some sort of singular cache of "game" to make and that they have to take away in one area of the game to make up for another. This weird talking point almost always makes little sense when other games are brought up.

Like, are these games suddenly worse off because the "visual cinematic" no cut camera thing is implemented?
Your 1st sentence is all that needs to be said. Y'all been jumping around try to avoid saying it for 5 pages.

Everything else y'all in your feelings about, no one is talking about gameplay time vs cutscenes or CGI.

I've not said anything bad about gameplay once outside of horizon 1 and Spiderman which bore me.

Ironically enough I do think that those 2 games could be way more fun if they didn't focus on the visual cinematic story telling 1st and shifted to the main interest to the gameplay loop 1st.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, tomb raider reboot tried 100% to do what Uncharted was doing but since Naughty Dog are so good at making the game FEEL good, and LOOK good its written off as a shallow “movie” game.

It’s like people threw up their hands and said we’ll no one else can do this so lets just put everything sony does in their own special little category
Like like at the comments to this Onimush Cutscene:

vwWQQOg.png

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Your 1st sentence is all that needs to be said. Y'all been jumping around try to avoid saying it for 5 pages.

Everything else y'all in your feelings about, no one is talking about gameplay time vs cutscenes or CGI.

I've not said anything bad about gameplay once outside of horizon 1 and Spiderman which bore me.

Ironically enough I do think that those 2 games could be way more fun if they didn't focus on the visual cinematic story telling 1st and shifted to the main interest to the gameplay loop 1st.
He posted links talking specifically about the game's VISUAL style for the camera work that GAME specifically has. Horizon doesn't, Uncharted doesn't, Ratchet doesn't. None of those games are also one camera shot games. Nevermind that they're not even the same genre.

How are you even making sense of what you're saying lmao. Can you honestly tell someone, "Bro you played God of War you don't even need to waste your time with Horizon or Ghosts of Tsushima."

You played Death Stranding why bother with TLOU 2? Spider-Man Miles Morales is basically Uncharted in New York.

Littlebigplanet is basically the same thing as Days Gone :troll:
Bear.gif

SOTC is the same thing as Ghosts of tsushima
iu

iu

The "Sony games=movie games=all the same" talking point is hereby dismissed.

iu

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yes, the game has a visual cinematic style. That doesn't contradict that the game has more gameplay in it than previous games. The problem with you guy's logic is you try to create this narrative(no pun intended) that these games somehow sacrifice great gameplay as if there's some sort of singular cache of "game" to make and that they have to take away in one area of the game to make up for another. This weird talking point almost always makes little sense when other games are brought up.

When the entire camera perspective and pacing of the game is changed. Those changes become more than just “visual” It’s not like they just used a different art style:comeon:

And the games do sacrifice gameplay for those cinematic changes. One example is the close over the shoulder camera leads to being hit from off screen or having to use those indicator arrows to tell you when somebody is gonna swing at you. Another example is depth perception is more difficult with a close over the shoulder perspective so attacks have to be more “sticky” to compensate for your own lack of perspective, therefore positioning becomes less important in a fight. Those are just two examples but there are more.

Also there IS a limited “cache” of game that can be made. If you are gonna render the characters outfit down to the individual thread cause the camera is gonna be all close up on them for cinematic angles, then you are probably not gonna be able to have a large variety of outfits/armor in the game. Or if you are gonna have all this amazing dense detail in your environments, then you are probably gonna have to cut back on traversal options(which sony said themselves with Horizon)