Today is the 9th anniversary of Uncle Phil becoming head of Xbox. Get in here and show respect for this legend.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You good? I never said the word "cinematic narrative", you did.

Why do you keep trying to overemphasize that in order to downplay the game's core genre? I said they're AAA games yet you keep trying to deviate from that as if it's something in a league of its own.

That they're also great in terms of story telling rivaling "cinematic" content is cherry on top.
I said it because it's an important part of the statement and then you removed it and proceeded to try and make a point.

As if 90 percent of games don't have some kind of narrative experience:martin:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I said it because it's an important part of the statement and then you removed it and proceeded to try and make a point.

As if 90 percent of games don't have some kind of narrative experience:martin:
So if 90 percent of games have some sort of narrative, why try to make "narratives" a con when talking about it in Sony games? None of the top games of 2022 were just Candy Crush style games where it's literally just gameplay.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
RE4 Remake - survival horror action shooter
Dead Space Remake - survival horror action shooter
Hogwarts Legacy - open world sandbox

Metroid Prime Remastered(AAA when it came out) - literally a metroidvania

Starfield - open world WRPG
Zelda - open world action game.
Actual definition:
God of War - 3rd person semi open world action adventure
Uncharted - 3rd person action adventure

Xbot definition
God of War? Uncharted?
:youngsabo:Movie gaemz

Ya'll LITERALLY have achievements for Netflix and have the nerve....nay...the audacity to claim something "cinematic" is some kind of knock. :mjlol:
"Movie Games" are:
The Quarry
Detroit Become Human
Until Dawn
Honorable mention to Quantum Break which has ACTUAL tv series episodes in between each level.

Ya'll see a dope cut scene in a Sony game and cry "movie games". Stop it. :russ:
Have you even played Hogwarts Legacy, Resident Evil, or Dead Space? Those games each have their fill of cutscenes/cinematics.
You're breaking into the quantum realm to split these hairs now and try to get super specific to apply your faulty definition to one game but not another.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So if 90 percent of games have some sort of narrative, why try to make "narratives" a con when talking about it in Sony games? None of the top games of 2022 were just Candy Crush style games where it's literally just gameplay.
:mjtf:
It's not a con, for some reason yall get offended by it though. TLOU2 hit that perfect middle ground. But I don't need every game or developer to chase that kind of cinematic narrative story base game or if it's easier to understand *movie game*. Let sony keep doing what they do, they do it well.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Actual definition:

Xbot definition
God of War? Uncharted?

Ya'll LITERALLY have achievements for Netflix and have the nerve....nay...the audacity to claim something "cinematic" is some kind of knock. :mjlol:
"Movie Games" are:
The Quarry
Detroit Become Human
Until Dawn
Honorable mention to Quantum Break which has ACTUAL tv series episodes in between each level.

Ya'll see a dope cut scene in a Sony game and cry "movie games". Stop it. :russ:
Have you even played Hogwarts Legacy, Resident Evil, or Dead Space? Those games each have their fill of cutscenes/cinematics.
You're breaking into the quantum realm to split these hairs now and try to get super specific to apply your faulty definition to one game but not another.

They always do it as a sly way to separate sonys single player games from other AAA games. It’s an easy way to give them a backhanded compliment as if their “cinematic” aspect take precedent over gameplay.

The truth is that sonys games have better gameplay than most other AAA games, they just far exceed them in presentation also.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Actual definition:

Xbot definition
God of War? Uncharted?

"Movie Games" are:
The Quarry
Detroit Become Human
Until Dawn

Right?

Never did I even play this sequence like this but let em tell it thr entire game is on rails like house of the dead lol

"m00vie!!!"

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They always do it as a sly way to separate sonys single player games from other AAA games. It’s an easy way to give them a backhanded compliment as if their “cinematic” aspect take precedent over gameplay.

The truth is that sonys games have better gameplay than most other AAA games, they just far exceed them in presentation also.
Man yall can give all the small details about games and design, but when someone says "sony movie games" or "cinematic games" yall confused like yall don't understand.

Sony has distinct cinematic way of presenting there games, it's not a con, but let's not act like every game should be like that or that everyone wants all their games to be like that.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Man yall can give all the small details about games and design, but when someone says "sony movie games" or "cinematic games" yall confused like yall don't understand.

Sony has distinct cinematic way of presenting there games, it's not a con, but let's not act like every game should be like that or that everyone wants all their games to be like that.

The point is that this criticism only came about during the end of last generation once sony started investing big budgets into their games. People never used “movie game” as a perjorative to describe kojimas games, or Final Fantasy, or Mass Effect, etc.

Let’s all stop playing dumb like we don’t know why yall use that label, you want to lump sonys games in with stuff like Tell Tale, Dark Pictures, David Cage stuff because the platform you stan can’t produce the same quality of game while maintaining good gameplay. No one has invested in single player like Sony has ad it makes some people mad

I’m not even sure why yall insult our intelligence by playing ignorant because you will flat out try to use it as an insult once we really start console warring. Your masks have slipped far too much over the years for me to believe otherwise

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Where's the fukking games at Phil?!?:mjgrin::dead: and before anyone say anything in response about me being on PS4 eat a glizzy :pacspit:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The point is that this criticism only came about during the end of last generation once sony started investing big budgets into their games. People never used “movie game” as a perjorative to describe kojimas games, or Final Fantasy, or Mass Effect, etc.

Let’s all stop playing dumb like we don’t know why yall use that label, you want to lump sonys games in with stuff like Tell Tale, Dark Pictures, David Cage stuff because the platform you stan can’t produce the same quality of game while maintaining good gameplay. No one has invested in single player like Sony has ad it makes some people mad

I’m not even sure why yall insult our intelligence by playing ignorant because you will flat out try to use it as an insult once we really start console warring. Your masks have slipped far too much over the years for me to believe otherwise
No y’all just act like sensitive weirdos.

Those games were likened to movies from day one.

Review is titled “pass the popcorn” :stopitslime:

Being “Just like playing through a blockbuster movie” used to be said by fans as a good thing. Now y’all wanna pretend people making the shyt up.

And no, no one wants to compare uncharted to those tell tale style games. Those are a very different style of game. Again you goofballs know full well what a “movie game” is but wanna play dumb like you don’t understand the shyt.

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

It's because those games aren't presented like movies :martin:

FF are still your typical rpgs just with better graphics
Mgs was still your typical stealth action game outside of 4, that was a very much a movie game that people hate:stopitslime:

Mass effect was called a 3rd person shooter instead of a rpgs for a LONG time, especially when part 2 dropped.
I've never thought of a telltale game or David cage game and a sony "movie game" in the same thought. I've never even heard that before :mjlol: that's something you coming up with.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It's because those games aren't presented like movies :martin:

FF are still your typical rpgs just with better graphics
Mgs was still your typical stealth action game outside of 4, that was a very much a movie game that people hate:stopitslime:

Mass effect was called a 3rd person shooter instead of a rpgs for a LONG time, especially when part 2 dropped.
I've never thought of a telltale game or David cage game and a sony "movie game" in the same thought. I've never even heard that before :mjlol: that's some you coming up with.

Mass Effect and Metal Gear were never presented like movies? Final Fantasy? :dahell:

Why are we lying now? A lot of these big budget narrative games are doing exactly what yall say sony games do now, and they were never labeled that way. I know because I’ve pretty much been hardcore on all these narrative heavy games since i was like 5 playing video games, its only now that a western company on a specific platform adopted it that it started being used as a way to knock them down a peg.

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Mass Effect and Metal Gear were never presented like movies? Final Fantasy? :dahell:

Why are we lying now?
No you would have done better saying COD story mode, Alan wake, even Max payne.
I see every game with a cut scene is a movie game to yall.

The reason sony 1st person games get called movie games is one, the way the zoom in the camera in most of their games and the angles shots and force you into a story. 2 ALL of their most recent joints play like that, they even took gow which was an action game with story and turned it into a story game with action. Horizon? Check, uncharted? Check? Days gone? Check? Rachet and clank rift apart? Check. yes, Rift apart has way more cinematics and story that ratchet and clank.

This list goes on, so yeah people referring to Sony 1st party games as movie games or cinematic games it's because that's literally there Bread and Butter. It's the games that they've been dropping since the PS4 and they doubled down with it right on into the PS5. Every series that aint that, we haven't heard of since 2016

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Why are we lying now? A lot of these big budget narrative games are doing exactly what yall say sony games do now, and they were never labeled that way. I know because I’ve pretty much been hardcore on all these narrative heavy games since i was like 5 playing video games, its only now that a western company on a specific platform adopted it that it started being used as a way to knock them down a peg.

:snoop:
Bruh having cutscenes or CGI is not what makes a "movie game" its crazy yall arguing this. Like it's not even a bad thing, it's something sony has mastered that most other publishers don't do well. Infact I'd say the only other publisher to really do it well is ironically enough Activision with COD I hate COD but I'll watch the story mode.

I just don't want ONLY that from them, and that's what sony has been doing. Those games are very hit or miss for me It's a very Minor complaint.
But yall have at it, in the meantime everyone else even the most casual of casual know what I mean if I say playstation has movie games.