TLOU2 Factions officially cancelled

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They literally said it themselves

And then immediately follow it up by saying they have two big single player games planned. (TLoU3 and the rumored Sci-Fi game)
How do you begin development on a live service game and then go oh I didn't realize a live service game required support long term do we really want to support this? That's upfront basic knowledge you acquire before ever starting development. You expect me to believe they were knee deep into development of a live service game and discovered that?

I know what they said. The things people say especially in press releases are crafted to construct a narrative they want out rather than to tell the public what actually happened.

The public view on live service games has started to turn negative as Suicide Squad can attest. I highly doubt Naughty Dog was gonna come out with a press statement that said the public doesn't like live service games anymore so we're canceling this because it's now a reactionary project to an outdated trend.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's BS, they could of easily branched it out to a third party studio. The fans only wanted a new mp with last of us 2 graphics and gameplay. Nothing special same style to the first one and just more modes and maps

That isn't moving the needle money wise.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
We just wanted mp mode not a mp game and live service… fukk these nikkas….

Show is fire tho :whoa:
The real reason is probably Jim Ryan wanted a live service game so they expanded the scope. I'm thinking the studio didn't really even want to make a live service game in the first place and the announcement that Ryan is leaving as well as market conditions changing on live service games probably freed them from it.

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
:mjgrin:Damn

AN UPDATE ON THE LAST OF US ONLINE​

We realize many of you have been anticipating news around the project that we've been calling The Last of Us Online. There's no easy way to say this: We've made the incredibly difficult decision to stop development on that game.

We know this news will be tough for many, especially our dedicated The Last of Us Factions community, who have been following our multiplayer ambitions ardently. We're equally crushed at the studio as we were looking forward to putting it in your hands. We wanted to share with you some background of how we came to this decision.

The multiplayer team has been in pre-production with this game since we were working on The Last of Us Part II – crafting an experience we felt was unique and had tremendous potential. As the multiplayer team iterated on their concept for The Last of Us Online during this time, their vision crystalized, the gameplay got more refined and satisfying, and we were enthusiastic about the direction in which we were headed.

In ramping up to full production, the massive scope of our ambition became clear. To release and support The Last of Us Online we'd have to put all our studio resources behind supporting post launch content for years to come, severely impacting development on future single-player games. So, we had two paths in front of us: become a solely live service games studio or continue to focus on single-player narrative games that have defined Naughty Dog's heritage.
We are immensely proud of everyone at the studio that touched this project. The learnings and investments in technology from this game will carry into how we develop our projects and will be invaluable in the direction we are headed as a studio. We have more than one ambitious, brand new single player game that we're working on here at Naughty Dog, and we cannot wait to share more about what comes next when we're ready.

Until then, we're incredibly thankful to our community for your support throughout the years.
i wonder whats next

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Horrendous output from Naughty Dog.

Horrible.:birdman:

Factions being canceled, UC4 MP being ass compared to 2 and 3. Just a shyt show all around. Instead of just giving players a simple arena based MP game, they decided they wanted to make sure you can feel the emotions of Elly's post tomboy transition rage in a heartfelt thriller that didn't fukking matter.

I'm going to throw my PS5 out of my basement window!!!

fukk you Naughty Dog, fukk YOU fukk YOU fukk YOU!!! You have ruined my life!!!
iu
:mjlol: you legit trying to get me fired from work

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They make it seem like this was going to be some big epic game :mjlol:

It's just reskinned character models in a warehouse shooting and stabbing each other :mjlol:

Years of post launch content.

WHAT:mjlol:
Successful GAAS need continuous post launch content. Have you not been paying attention to games like Fortnite or Destiny?

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
:mjlol: First they removed MP from the game with the promise of factions.

Now we learn factions is vaporware. :mjlol:

My thing is....it wasn't even vaporware! They had alpha code up and running and nikkaz playing the shyt!

You that far along and just say fukk it?

Even adding what they did to TLOU2 remastered next month woulda been fine.

Goofy as fukk.

Execs stay fukkin shyt up.