Tired of Hollyweirds obsession with making all black male characters gay...

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Third episode in 'Industry' on HBO. I don't know if I can continue. The only black girl (who's sorta cute) is a bedwench. And the only black guy is a homosexual.

How as a straight black guy am I suppose to support this shyt?
The white man is tryin to desperately hold onto being a sex symbol by being a hater

MrRDU

Superstar
Daps
Third episode in 'Industry' on HBO. I don't know if I can continue. The only black girl (who's sorta cute) is a bedwench. And the only black guy is a homosexual.

How as a straight black guy am I suppose to support this shyt?

I tried watching the 1st episode & said fukk that. I'm not watching anymore shows where the one Black character is :wrist:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Finished the first season of For Life yesterday. Jamal's character is revealed to be gay and its just like, why?

There was absolutely no build up to it, it adds nothing to the story, and worst of all, it adds nothing to his character considering he's gonna be put on ice for a while in the show. They clearly just wanted to check a box.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
This trope seems almost mandatory for Netflix content the last few years. And it rarely ever seems necessary to the story either.

I’m late as hell on this thread and I’m sure it’s been said, but I think this is a side effect of Hollywood trying to make up for lack of diversity and inclusion before, so they’re just doubling down on everything now. Also I think some of this is fear of the Twitter mobs.

They have to make someone black *and* gay, or asian *and* trans, because either on its own might not be enough for the Twitter mobs.

My biggest issues with LGBT characters across the board these days (regardless of ethnicity or gender) is that too often it feels like what @Zero just said: characters are being made LGBT in order to meet a corporate checklist, and not because it serves the story. That, or their sexuality is their defining trait.

The Wire was dope because they had LGBT characters but it was never their defining trait. In some cases it wasn't even shown early on, or sometimes it was hinted at. But no one’s sexuality was their defining characteristic. Like in real life, it was just one aspect of who they were.

I hope the scales will balance at some point.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Finished the first season of For Life yesterday. Jamal's character is revealed to be gay and its just like, why?

There was absolutely no build up to it, it adds nothing to the story, and worst of all, it adds nothing to his character considering he's gonna be put on ice for a while in the show. They clearly just wanted to check a box.
I don't mind gay black characters in black shows personally I just hate when it's done in tokenish ways in non black shows

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I’m late as hell on this thread and I’m sure it’s been said, but I think this is a side effect of Hollywood trying to make up for lack of diversity and inclusion before, so they’re just doubling down on everything now. Also I think some of this is fear of the Twitter mobs.

They have to make someone black *and* gay, or asian *and* trans, because either on its own might not be enough for the Twitter mobs.

My biggest issues with LGBT characters across the board these days (regardless of ethnicity or gender) is that too often it feels like what @Zero just said: characters are being made LGBT in order to meet a corporate checklist, and not because it serves the story. That, or their sexuality is their defining trait.

The Wire was dope because they had LGBT characters but it was never their defining trait. In some cases it wasn't even shown early on, or sometimes it was hinted at. But no one’s sexuality was their defining characteristic. Like in real life, it was just one aspect of who they were.

I hope the scales will balance at some point.
They've lumped our inclusion in as a checkbox for all current civil rights issues in a backhanded way.

Weaponized inclusion

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth

highkey pissed me off too because it was a great show

no need to make dude gay... save that for another character or something with an actual story behind it

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Remember on Fear: The Walking Dead how Strand went from a bad ass dude with money, intelligence, and resources to the boyfriend from a Latino who really owned all the shyt. Then Strand immediately became a con-artist beta male. :mjlol:
They actually don't even mention his sexuality on that show now (but they still make him kinda con-artist-ish) but the show must've switched something up because it's much much better now.

Them first few seasons were really trash

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
This reminds me to cancel my Netflix Subscription. I notice the same thing when I rejoined last year, after being gone for years. That Black gay male agenda is off the charts with them. I've never seen anything like it.

Made Man

All Star
Daps
I was highly surprised that the black dude in bridgerton was straight. I thought they were for sure gnna make him gay, just because of how the story unfolds and his “issue”. However, I don’t appreciate how they make they only young black(probably mixed irl) female lead a bedwench who happens to be pregnant outside of wedlock. I guess we can’t have it both ways :yeshrug:. Oh yea, the black dudes dad is a deadbeat who wants nothing to do with him, basically non -existent father.