"Tinashe Is As Close to Janet Jackson As We'll Ever Get" -Complex

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I mean.. Beyonce has been the top black female artist bar none for the past 12 years and no one even talks about Janet anymore, she's been an afterthought since she dated Jermaine Durpri and her music career went downhill slowly after the superbowl incident

I could be completely wrong but I don't see Janet being celebrated as a goat as much as she should these days whereas Beyonce is like God to people
Firstly, an entire generation of black entertainers isn't being celebrated the way they should due to the current generation's irreverence toward r&b/soul...Mary j b, r Kelly, erykah badu, Janet, Mariah....everyone wants to look at the present and not appreciate what they built. You cannot compare someone in their prime to someone on the tail end of their career and use that as why the person in their prime is better. No one in the 90's would discredit someone like patti labelle or Anita while bigging up 1996 Toni Braxton all beacue the state of their career at that moment.

Beyonce is god to younger chicks or ppl who weren't into music as kids - most females my age acknowledge beys talent but are able to put it in perspective. Said this many times, bey would be dope in any generation, but she benefits from there being such little competition.

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
Janet paved the way for black female artists to crossover, smh.
It would be no Beyonce if not for Janet.
I agree but there also wouldnt be a Michael Jordan without Dr J:mjpls:
Firstly, an entire generation of black entertainers isn't being celebrated the way they should due to the current generation's irreverence toward r&b/soul...Mary j b, r Kelly, erykah badu, Janet, Mariah....everyone wants to look at the present and not appreciate what they built. You cannot compare someone in their prime to someone on the tail end of their career and use that as why the person in their prime is better. No one in the 90's would discredit someone like patti labelle or Anita while bigging up 1996 Toni Braxton all beacue the state of their career at that moment.

Beyonce is god to younger chicks or ppl who weren't into music as kids - most females my age acknowledge beys talent but are able to put it in perspective. Said this many times, bey would be dope in any generation, but she benefits from there being such little competition.
Dont get me wrong im not discrediting Janet at all, I alluded to her being underappreciated so I agree with what you said.. but I still dont think its far fetched to make an argument that Beyonce may have the more favorable legacy in pop culture when its all said and done.. that doesnt mean Beyonce has done more for her genre or that she's a greater artist but it wouldnt surprise me if people thought that

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Why are people acting like Complex said she's better????? All they said is she's the only one in this current era that can even reach a fraction of Janet's accomplishments.
I don't know who's considered what generation, but that's kinda disrespectful to Ciara, she was the one to come closest, yeah in hindsight we can see how her career flames out, but she started out the gate much bigger than this chick...especially to have 2-3 mixtapes and a "fanbase" before debuting. When you look at their starts, how can you say tinashe is set to do anything bigger than Ciara?

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
rihanna's not r&b.

yea. good point about alicia keys. i'd say that keys is this generation's whitney........yea, lowering the bar. i know.:laugh:

this is what im saying.:yes:

what has beyonce REALLY done? what ground did she break? did she ever even have a classic album? what are her goat songs? - she has none.

she can sing a helluva lot better than janet tho. but im just saying, i dont see how she surpassed her legacy.

She's not RNB but she did do Take A Bow which was pretty good and got alotta love with black women and the ratchets:banderas:...Much love as she gets from ratchets for being Rhianna you would think they would have her make more singles that traditionally appeal to black women and ratchets...maybe she appeals to the young new age ratchets vs the ratchets K Michelle is appeling too though:pachaha:

I could be completely wrong cuz I don't follow her at all outside singles,but her singles seem to be aimed at cacs a lot as if black women don't buy a gang of records....Ill fall back from saying its sabatogue going on though since I'm not familiar enough.

Maybe Rhianna has more creative freedom than I thought and chooses to make those records and release them as singles,I always considered her to be a manufactured product,but if she is a manufactured product her handlers aint maximizing her potential very well which is what makes me think sabatogue in the back of my mind.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Dope post blood but remember destiny bhild kame from out of the late 90s with gang of r&b groups that still existed during that time period. Alica keys was still over beyonce for a early part of the 00s too. Beyonce isnt sum new jacK. Her and them over hoes in they heyday ran the late 90s early 00s with a gang of Black women still out
They were a group tho, swv, xscape, tlc, en vogue, total, were all pretty much out of their prime to done by the time DC really hit with their second album. Bey has had a pretty clear path all her career, except around the time of her first album, she still had to earn her spot. She's a star no doubt but outside of a keys, she hasn't had much competiton.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
I don't know who's considered what generation, but that's kinda disrespectful to Ciara, she was the one to come closest, yeah in hindsight we can see how her career flames out, but she started out the gate much bigger than this chick...especially to have 2-3 mixtapes and a "fanbase" before debuting. When you look at their starts, how can you say tinashe is set to do anything bigger than Ciara?

Ciara debuted 10 years ago so when I hear that comment I'm thinking compared to Jhene, Teyana Taylor, Janelle Monae, Sevyn Streeter etc.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I agree but there also wouldnt be a Michael Jordan without Dr J:mjpls:

Dont get me wrong im not discrediting Janet at all, I alluded to her being underappreciated so I agree with what you said.. but I still dont think its far fetched to make an argument that Beyonce may have the more favorable legacy in pop culture when its all said and done.. that doesnt mean Beyonce has done more for her genre or that she's a greater artist but it wouldnt surprise me if people thought that

Yup,Beyonce wont be forgotten until somebody comes along who does what she does at a high level and has big success doing it,until then you will be hearing Beyoncé nostalgia whether you like it or not:francis:...It could be a very long time or it could be a very short time,just look how people talk about Pac and Biggie when they should be long forgotten,Nas and Jay for that matter should be irrelevant at this point,actually a while ago if hiphop music went where we thought it was going in the 90's and got better with time:francis:

Orange cream shake

Blessed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
null
if you weren't alive or at least born prior to 1980 when Janet was that deal, can you really judge Janet success to any current artist? tinashe will probably be another Ciara. She doesn't have enough buzz or industry people behind her like Janet did.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
as far as legacy goes(not talent) Beyonce surpassed Janet a minute ago:ld:
and im not gonna say Tinashe is more talented than Beyonce because I would get murdered on this site but.. she does produce and write her own songs:mjpls:

u can argue whos a better dancer but thats where it stops:mjpls:
Son how she surpass Janet legacy?..Janet has FAR better music...hands down...

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
jacksonsthen_468x283.jpg

Industry nikkas. Young michael lookin like mayweather.

Bomberman

Like a C4.
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Ciara was way closer to Janet Jackson than Tinashe ever was.

Plus this article shows people really don't know how great Janet Jackson was in her prime. She was a mega star just right below MJ. Plus she has the music catalog to back it up. The Tinashe comparison is really one of the worst comparisons I've ever heard of for anybody across music and sports in my life.

Control_(Janet_Jackson_album)_coverart.jpg

RhythmNation1814.jpg

janet-album.jpg

20140718102252!Janet_Jackson_-_The_Velvet_Rope.jpg

All%20for%20You.jpg

People really get carried away talking about potential, where the only real way to compare artists is by what they've actually done. Four straight classic albums from Janet Jackson and world renown fame. 17 years of greatness.

Tinashe needs to catch up. She hasn't earned the right to be compared.