"Tinashe Is As Close to Janet Jackson As We'll Ever Get" -Complex

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ciara was way closer to Janet Jackson than Tinashe ever was.

Plus this article shows people really don't know how great Janet Jackson was in her prime. She was a mega star just right below MJ. Plus she has the music catalog to back it up. The Tinashe comparison is really one of the worst comparisons I've ever heard of for anybody across music and sports in my life.

Control_(Janet_Jackson_album)_coverart.jpg

RhythmNation1814.jpg

janet-album.jpg

20140718102252!Janet_Jackson_-_The_Velvet_Rope.jpg

All%20for%20You.jpg

People really get carried away talking about potential, where the only real way to compare artists is by what they've actually done. Four straight classic albums from Janet Jackson and world renown fame. 17 years of greatness.

Tinashe needs to catch up. She hasn't earned the right to be compared.

Ciara don't really embody everything Janet was either,but she is closer than TInashe at this point.....That's why the write up as far as why she makes this comparison stinks....she even talks about how Beyoncé is a combiniantion of many artist like Madonna,Michael Jackson,forgot who else she said....But what the hell is Janet?she's a combination at least those two artist?its weird she wrote Beyoncé off then goes on to mention Ciara and Tinashe...seems like she's just taking the Velvet Rope era Janet and acting like that's Janet as if its that simple. You gon disregard Janet in all her other forms just because you like Velvet Rope Janet the best:dahell:..you gon write Ciara off cuz shes not Velvet Rope Janet despite Janet characteristics she has:beli:?You cant write one off for not having all the characteristics then give the other the nod.

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
She's not a better singer than Janet by a stretch and Janet Jackson isn't even a strong singer.

No she kills Janet as a singer. But to be fair Janet low key isn't that great a singer.

Tinashe is a genuine songwriter, and Janet isn't really Janet without Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.

Bomberman

Like a C4.
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Matthew Perpetus of Fluxblogsuggested Jackson's vocal techniques as a study for indie rock music, considering it to possess "a somewhat subliminal effect on the listener, guiding and emphasizing dynamic shifts without distracting attention from its primal hooks."

Janet was out there birthing/influencing different genres of music. Also her sense of artistry completely shyts on Tinashe who is as generic as they come. Like I said before, I'll take an entertaining/creative artist with a decent voice over a boring singer with a great voice.

In that regard Janelle Monae > Tinashe.

yardman

Mad movements!
Daps
Reppin
Whitehall
she barley got her soles wet. she sound like one of dem youtube gyals singing on their guitars. what legacy peanut shake got? that's like saying Rick Ross is the closest thing we got to biggie.

reserved_one

#Ambivertgang
Daps
Reppin
So.ILL/Raider Nation
I like Tinashe, I think she's a dope artist but c'mon....Janet is Janet. She was a transcendent artist. Big difference. I don't think she's no where near close. Beyonce would've made more sense to be honest, but some would say she's ahead of Janet in a category by herself.

Tinashe has shown glimpses of being exceptional, but she still has a long way to go.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
You're stretching here. Rihanna wasn't supposed to be what she is, she was an afterthought during her debut, def jam had all their eggs in Tierra Marie's basket, but rih still did ok. Her second album sold even better with SOS and unfaithful....and we all know what happened when gggb dropped.....rih wasn't supposed to be next, she didn't have all these expectations, but she got bigger and bigger. This is the main issue, everytime a new artist comes out now nowadays, one mixtape, EP, single, or album in and everyone makes these stupid proclamations....this shyt needs to chill.
Yes she was supposed to be next. She dropped singles and especially albums that flopped and they got her back there releasing an album the next year.

Not to mention they spent big money on securing her hits:
However, since it was the Grammy season of 2007, Stewart and Nash eyed American R&B singer Mary J. Blige for the demo.[3] Upon calling them to set the record aside for Rihanna, Stewart had played it to an associate of Blige, subsequently promising the song to her. Having heard the move of the writers, Kwak began calling Stewart and his manager, Mark Stewart, incessantly. Meanwhile, considering Blige's nominations at the Grammys, Stewart and Nash agreed to wait for her response. However, Blige failed to hear the song in full due to her obligations to the Grammys at the time and "had to sign off on the record before her reps could accept it".[3][5] Finally, Reid "stepped in, trading on his power-broker status and longstanding relationship with Stewart", and admits, "I made the producers an offer they couldn't refuse."[1] By the time Reid had successfully persuaded Stewart's camp, they "just couldn't say no".[3] On giving up the record to Reid's camp, Mark Stewart comments, "We knew Rihanna's album would be out in a few months. Mary wasn't even in an album cycle yet. We made the sensible business decision."[1]

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Ill admit shes had some media/industry help to keep herself at her position,
And Janet Jackson did not?

To reach any type of iconic status - the media and industry will support it.. Janet, Beyonce, Jay Z, Kanye

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
No she kills Janet as a singer. But to be fair Janet low key isn't that great a singer.

Tinashe is a genuine songwriter, and Janet isn't really Janet without Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.
It's a two-way street with Jimmy Jam and TL because 10 of their 16 number ones are with Janet. They made their cypher complete.
People are confusing vocal range with singing. Janet sings better by far but maybe Tinashe has a more powerful voice naturally. Still seems raw. If David Foster doesn't work with them then their voice isn't up to par in my book.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Yes she was supposed to be next. She dropped singles and especially albums that flopped and they got her back there releasing an album the next year.

Not to mention they spent big money on securing her hits:
However, since it was the Grammy season of 2007, Stewart and Nash eyed American R&B singer Mary J. Blige for the demo.[3] Upon calling them to set the record aside for Rihanna, Stewart had played it to an associate of Blige, subsequently promising the song to her. Having heard the move of the writers, Kwak began calling Stewart and his manager, Mark Stewart, incessantly. Meanwhile, considering Blige's nominations at the Grammys, Stewart and Nash agreed to wait for her response. However, Blige failed to hear the song in full due to her obligations to the Grammys at the time and "had to sign off on the record before her reps could accept it".[3][5] Finally, Reid "stepped in, trading on his power-broker status and longstanding relationship with Stewart", and admits, "I made the producers an offer they couldn't refuse."[1] By the time Reid had successfully persuaded Stewart's camp, they "just couldn't say no".[3] On giving up the record to Reid's camp, Mark Stewart comments, "We knew Rihanna's album would be out in a few months. Mary wasn't even in an album cycle yet. We made the sensible business decision."[1]
Rihanna was a scrub at first bruh....she was second fiddle to Tearra Mari....T failed...cause Jay and the label marketed her fukked up....Jay didn't even give a shyt about Rihanna until he dropped TM...like 3 of Rihanna's breakout songs weren't even meant for her first....