"Tinashe Is As Close to Janet Jackson As We'll Ever Get" -Complex

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
last i cheked, beyonce is this generations janet jackson.

bar been lowered so much, complex prolly looks at beyonce as the new whitney instead.:laugh:

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
last i cheked, beyonce is this generations janet jackson.

bar been lowered so much, complex prolly looks at beyonce as the new whitney instead.:laugh:
as far as legacy goes(not talent) Beyonce surpassed Janet a minute ago:ld:
and im not gonna say Tinashe is more talented than Beyonce because I would get murdered on this site but.. she does produce and write her own songs:mjpls:

u can argue whos a better dancer but thats where it stops:mjpls:

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
as far as legacy goes(not talent) Beyonce surpassed Janet a minute ago:ld:
and im not gonna say Tinashe is more talented than Beyonce because I would get murdered on this site but.. she does produce and write her own songs:mjpls:

u can argue whos a better dancer but thats where it stops:mjpls:

how did she surpass janet's legacy?

you mean in terms of celebrity? im not even sure about that either.

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
how did she surpass janet's legacy?

you mean in terms of celebrity? im not even sure about that either.
I mean.. Beyonce has been the top black female artist bar none for the past 12 years and no one even talks about Janet anymore, she's been an afterthought since she dated Jermaine Durpri and her music career went downhill slowly after the superbowl incident

I could be completely wrong but I don't see Janet being celebrated as a goat as much as she should these days whereas Beyonce is like God to people

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It all boils down to records and she need classic records to even be in the conversation.

As fukk boy LA Reid said "It all starts with the song."

2 On was a record to get on the radio and in the club but it is forgettable. I can't draw up what it sounds like in my mind. I remember the name because a commentator mentioned it. I would love to work with her and create those classic records, though. Her voice is mediocre compared to great singers but great in comparison to current times.

The best singer of recent shocker.... is

TAMAR BRAXTON. I do not like her records but no one out including Beyonce can outsing her.

It also relys on your label putting out the songs that you do best and giving the public a chance to decide if those songs are classic....being that her label just wants to put out the typical song thats supposed to be a hit,verses what her best work is its hard to say its her fault.

Labels have no vision these days,instead of creating a new lane theyd rather be safe and make a quick buck by riding whatever wave is popular at the moment.

And Tamar Braxton homie?ol girl is like 40 years old and been around a while....shes not really of this era,she is of the era where you had to sing...shes run of the mil in her own era where people went to church and learned how to sing though:mjcry:

and Tinashe is bad but badder than Janet:patrice:...poetic justice era janet with those braids:banderas:...it dont get no badder than that,how can you navigate between girl next door look and straight freak so effortlessly and lose no appeal either way like Janet did?janet could pull off both convincingly at a high level

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
I mean.. Beyonce has been the top black female artist bar none for the past 12 years and no one even talks about Janet anymore, she's been an afterthought since she dated Jermaine Durpri and her music career went downhill slowly after the superbowl incident

I could be completely wrong but I don't see Janet being celebrated as a goat as much as she should these days whereas Beyonce is like God to people

well janet came out musically in like '84. why would we be talking about her still? you brought up legacies, not whos current.

neither of them are goats. nowhere near.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why are people acting like Complex said she's better????? All they said is she's the only one in this current era that can even reach a fraction of Janet's accomplishments.

I didnt have any gripes til she bought up that All Hands On Deck video as if she felt a rebirth of Janet while watching it or hearing the song itself:mjlol:...she said what Janet means to ber though,so Janet is different things to different people...she chose one particular period of janet that she liked and acted like that is Janet.

i see the Aaliyah comparison much more than Janet.

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
well janet came out musically in like '84. why would we be talking about her still? you brought up legacies, not whos current.

neither of them are goats. nowhere near.
lets be real.. beyonce isnt just "current" she's been out since the 90s and hasnt fell off in popularity at all.. and if youre an iconic artist it shouldnt matter when you came out.. I just dont see Janets music celebrated as much as other old school artists

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
lets be real.. beyonce isnt just "current" she's been out since the 90s and hasnt fell off in popularity at all

she rose to power in the early '00s after the monopolies kicked in and everything got stagnant and not much has changed since then period.

you cant compare that to the longevity of artists back when things were alot more organic.

but yea, i was just saying bey is this era's janet.:manny:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
lets be real.. beyonce isnt just "current" she's been out since the 90s and hasnt fell off in popularity at all

Ill admit shes had some media/industry help to keep herself at her position,not to mention shes been in a pretty weak era....alicia keys was her stiffest conpetetion and was pretty much respected much more than Beyonce....then she met Swizz Beatz and the rest is history:francis:

I feel like Rhianna almost had her but for some reason that button never got pushed:mjpls:...like they careful to keep her from steppin on Beyonces toes and tell her to stay in that lane over there:ufdup:

Dboy41

All Star
Daps

Janet paved the way for black female artists to crossover, smh.
It would be no Beyonce if not for Janet.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
I feel like Rhianna almost had her but for some reason that button never got pushed:mjpls:...like they careful to keep her from steppin on Beyonces toes and tell her to stay in that lane over there:ufdup:

rihanna's not r&b.

yea. good point about alicia keys. i'd say that keys is this generation's whitney........yea, lowering the bar. i know.:laugh:

Janet paved the way for black female artists to crossover, smh.
It would be no Beyonce if not for Janet.

this is what im saying.:yes:

what has beyonce REALLY done? what ground did she break? did she ever even have a classic album? what are her goat songs? - she has none.

she can sing a helluva lot better than janet tho. but im just saying, i dont see how she surpassed her legacy.