Things I noticed that stopped in the Black community once the 90's kicked in

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Wasn't this also the time period of Hippies tripping balls on LSD , Cheech and Chong, Mfs doing Blow like it was no tomorrow , the crack epidemic and all that
hippies & lSD ?NO....that was middle class white people rebelling
Cheech & Chong? NO......middle class white and hispanic duo rebelling....some Blacks smoked but hid it out of shame/stigma
Blow? YES....fly people in the nightclub scene did coke....Black and White in 70s and early 80s
Crack? NO---crack was never the "in thing" to do

Starting with the Chronic + Cypress Hill + Redman...weed smoking came out of the underground and people started openly promoting using it

1 other person

Superstar
Daps
hippies & lSD ?NO....that was middle class white people rebelling
Cheech & Chong? NO......middle class white and hispanic duo rebelling....some Blacks smoked but hid it out of shame/stigma
Blow? YES....fly people in the nightclub scene did coke....Black and White in 70s and early 80s
Crack? NO---crack was never the "in thing" to do

Starting with the Chronic + Cypress Hill + Redman...weed smoking came out of the underground and people started openly promoting using it

I remember Dr. Dre saying he didnt smoke weed. Then later he came out with the Chronic. I remember when people would be openly opposed to it.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Lot of Black women bragged that they didnt give head. And would never do such a thing.

Horace Brown was the first mainstream (masculine)*Black dude to openly admit/cosign going down on a woman.

41DX6SVG82L.jpg

611-aEGYaeL._SY355_.jpg

I'm old enough to remember when there was a huge stigma among men for doing that (or admitting it)

Dudes used to make references in songs to NOT doing that shyt

*I'm certain Prince did it before him, but like I said....the first masculine guy

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I remember Dr. Dre saying he didnt smoke weed. Then later he came out with the Chronic. I remember when people would be openly opposed to it.
On the same record....that Cube or DOC probably wrote...Dre rapped

"some say NO to drugs and take a stand/
and after the show go running to the Dope Man/

Eazy E tried to call Dre out about that when the Chronic dropped...but the Death Row momentum was too strong.

concise

Veteran
Daps
Word. We didnt get that seperation of "nikka" and "n!gger" till NWA. If u look at those Black movies from 90's and prior on DVDs you'll notice in the subtitles they always use the "er" because there was no seperation of the words till Hip Hop made it a "nikka" thing.

That's why I always remember this title right here :francis:

MV5BYWZlMmM0Y2QtMGNkMC00ZWU5LTkzOWYtMTUyYTMzZjU4NzlkL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_.jpg

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Yep. Pac, biggie and Wu tang clan are responsible for this wild use of the word today, funny how they all go origins in New York. New York looking in the light. The n-word became wildly used in the late 1990s and early 2000s.
None of this is true. Did you forget that a group from LA named nikkas With Attitude dropped in 86?
:heh:

Last edited:

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
People always got high. It was looked down upon by old fuddy duddies. Same as today.

Were u actually around in the 80's?

There was a big "dont do drugs" campaign all up in the 80's.

It was in tv shows like The Cosby show, Different Strokes, Small Wonder....Even the movies. Think about How we entered the 90's... House Party had no weed smoking and that 1 scene were they make drinking look like a bad thing. Then u have New Jackk City were the drug dealer was the bad guy.

The PSAs in the 80's were very popular as well

They even had a PSA filled with propoganda creating the visual that drug dealers are Black guys in the hood

Stevie Wonder did a dont drink and drive PSA. Not Drinking and driving was also a big movement in the 80's. LOL @ NWA having a dont drink and drive PSA as a skit on their 2nd album. Thats how big those PSAs were in the 80's.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We thought MJ was gay in the 80's. Was't no talk of lil boys till the 90's kicked in

Really?, I don't remember everybody talks about MJ being gay in the 80s but all I remember it was Prince the way he dress, the way he looks, the way he acts,etc.

Even you have Chris Rock did interview with Prince and asked him a question if he was being gay or "was that an act", etc

I know that he had many bad bytches with him but we assuming that was his cover without getting expose....mind you in 80s-90s people be very careful not to get exposed for being gay, etc.

main-qimg-7ce56af8a3cb616046625a749b061656

Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
"Don't smoke buddha,can't stand cess"

"I don't smoke weed or cess,cause it's known to give a brotha brain damage"....

Contrast to now where rappers don't openly share they don't smoke...and in fact it's seen as weird when they don't...

I remember when Drake didn't want to smoke on camera and brehs were:mjpls:

Yeah I remember Dre dropped those lines on Express Yourself. Then proceeded to drop the CHronic. And makes songs like Kush in 2010 with Akon Snoop