Things I noticed that stopped in the Black community once the 90's kicked in

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
That's why I always remember this title right here :francis:

MV5BYWZlMmM0Y2QtMGNkMC00ZWU5LTkzOWYtMTUyYTMzZjU4NzlkL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_.jpg

The movie looks sick from the trailer but the title doesn't sit with me right.

As a kid I separated the 2 "....Er and .....A" now I'm older I'm starting to see it as the same way

I'm a 90s baby and I remember reading on the coli that some of you have great grandparents who used "Nikka" as a term of endearment.

For the 70s+ babies, was this a thing?

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
If He died for your sins and gave you salvation, don't you think the least you can do is get His appearance accurate and not use Him for slavery, oppression, murder, theft, lies, and injustice?
@Ziggiy

Look I ain't denying the agenda of whites trying to make black people more docile to the white man through Christianity.

THAT ASPECT IS REAL.

But keep in mind relationship with GOD is the end all...

Once we get over the bitterness of whites lying about Jesus then we can finally get down to the message.

All the powerful black men in our community got their VISION of better world for our people from GOD..the source.

MLJ
MALCOLM X..

I believe their spiritually made them BOLD and the right Champions for Black people.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
@Ziggiy

Look I ain't denying the agenda of whites trying to make black people more docile to the white man through Christianity.

THAT ASPECT IS REAL.

But keep in mind relationship with GOD is the end all...

Once we get over the bitterness of whites lying about Jesus then we can finally get down to the message.

All the powerful black men in our community got their VISION of better world for our people from GOD..the source.

MLJ
MALCOLM X..

I believe their spiritually made them BOLD and the right Champions for Black people.

Cool story bro

I choose to live in reality.

Lonj

Superstar
Daps
As an early 80's baby, I can tell you the OP:

3zm4f9.jpg

I bear witness to the bolded. Personally I still fukked with him but not a lot. I came back around when he released Invincible and he started going at Tommy Mottola. I gave a lot of people the :mjpls: when the started the crocodile tears when he died. I knew for a FACT that they didn't fukk with Jackson anymore but tried to act like they did.

This is real too. From like the early to mid 90's up until he died it was cool to clown MJ. I always remember Common's line off of "They Say" that dropped in the mid 00's, "Amongst the lifeless, in a world as crazy as Mike is". That's when everyone was calling him "Wacko Jacko". When he died people changed up quick.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
As an early 80's baby, I can tell you the OP:

This is real too. From like the early to mid 90's up until he died it was cool to clown MJ. I always remember Common's line off of "They Say" that dropped in the mid 00's, "Amongst the lifeless, in a world as crazy as Mike is". That's when everyone was calling him "Wacko Jacko". When he died people changed up quick.
Disagree. All public figures get made fun of. The most popular celeb in history who physically transformed in front of our eyes and cultivated a Peter pan image would get joked about obviously. Didn't diminish that people loved him and his music.
You probably snap on your man or cousin relentlessly, but would be HURT deeply if he passed.

Last edited:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Maybe someone who was alive during that era can confirm this but I don't think LSD and Cheech and Chong were ever big in the black communities.
In my life we knew who they were but I don’t remember ever sitting down to watch any of their movies. Hell I remembered Cheech when he was doing movies in the 80’s and people had to remind me that he was apart of Cheech and Chong

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
Hip-Hop was primarily clean because until 87-88 nobody knew you could sell records with a profanity filled album. 2Live Crew and NWA proved that "dirty" albums could have major commercial success. Neither of those groups were really meant to be nationally known recording artists, and their growth was grassroots and through word of mouth. Schooly D did the same thing in Philly but never got the nationwide success.
Yup. Rappers would say a curse every now and then, but it wasn't the 100x a song, same with the n word which was even more rarely used. NWA came in and the shock value of it to white kids in the suburbs made the labels eventually only want to sign acts that had some sort of criminal element to it. I never had an issue with NWA in and of itself, hell I listened to them. It's when the VARIETY changed and EVERY mainstream act became crime related that the music started to go downhill and has never recovered (even though acts like Wu Tang, Mobb Deep, etc. were truly talented acts). However, NYC became "gangsta rap East" to keep up with the trend which I find to be the most unfortunate thing in the history of hip hop since NYC used to be THE innovators. Instead, it fell in line so gone was the diversity in groups. A few acts in the wilderness like Jeru, De La, Grim Reap from Gravedgiggas (RIP) tried to push back but the floodgates were opened.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Word 90s..was the last generation where the kids mostly were active and played outside...

If you had access to a damn cell phone before you were 17 you ain't a damn 90sbaby...90s baby will remember when they parents first got a cell and all it had was the SNAKE game.

shyt an iPod was a pipe dream to mostly everyone but the really rich white kids until like the ipod video came out.

Lonj

Superstar
Daps
Disagree. All public figures get made fun of. The most popular celeb in history who physically transformed in front of our eyes and cultivated a Peter pan image would get joked about obviously. Didn't diminish that people loved him and his music.
You probably snap on your man or cousin relentlessly, but would be HURT deeply if he passed.
All public figures get made fun of but people were egregious with the Mike disrespect for like 15 years.