Things I noticed that stopped in the Black community once the 90's kicked in

Surreal

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I call bullshyt on the weed and Gang ones. Hell we have a thread right now about 70s gangs is Brooklyn and they look proud asf and I know RICK James Was singing about his love of Mary Jane In the Late 70s :patrice:

Weed was more of an outcast thig; not loser tho

Gangs? We didn't do that gang shyt back then. Hustlers didn't care for gangs. We were tryna get bread. They were tryna get props. I was born in 1977. The generation before me were total sociopaths. Clean cut and well taught and well spoken but true hustlers and murderers

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Who cares what his skin color is if he died for your sins though :manny:

If you think that ONE white man died for the sins of everyone including black people when recorded history has shown you that the white race has done nothing but enslave, rape, emasculate, exploit, carnage, terrorize, ravage, violate, pillage, plunder, deprive, disenfranchise, imprison, and molest those of melaninated ancestry then i’ve got a magic lamp to sell you:mjlol:

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
If you think that ONE white man died for the sins of everyone including black people when recorded history has shown you that the white race has done nothing but enslave, rape, emasculate, exploit, carnage, terrorize, ravage, violate, pillage, plunder, deprive, disenfranchise, imprison, and molest those of melaninated ancestry then i’ve got a magic lamp to sell you:mjlol:
You don't believe Jesus for our sins, okay, not gonna debate with you:manny:

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yep. Pac, biggie and Wu tang clan are responsible for this wild use of the word today, funny how they all go origins in New York. New York looking in the light. The n-word became wildly used in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Word. We didnt get that seperation of "nikka" and "n!gger" till NWA. If u look at those Black movies from 90's and prior on DVDs you'll notice in the subtitles they always use the "er" because there was no seperation of the words till Hip Hop made it a "nikka" thing.

Rocket Scientist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High IQ
Back in day as a kid you never talked back to the old lady in neighborhood and when you played music you would turn it down if elderly person was around.These days these kids curse out their grandma's etc. Back in day if you did that you would get ya ass whoop by everybody.Now its cool to be disrespectful amongst younger folk.

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
Yep. Pac, biggie and Wu tang clan are responsible for this wild use of the word today, funny how they all go origins in New York. New York looking in the light. The n-word became wildly used in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

I'm in the west coast so I blame NWA and Death Row for using the N word like it wasn't going out of style. So late 80s, early 90s. When they took it mainstream it was all she wrote.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
-A Martin Luther King jr picture in nearly every Black persons home
They got Malcolm X picture too along MLK

-Black women didnt have tats all over their bodys
that's true

-Black music wasn't filled with profanity
In 90's? :patrice: Care to explain?

-Having Food stamps was embarressing
That's true

-There was a shame factor towards anyone acting ghetto ( ratchet )
Maybe but not only 90's

-There wasn't an over abundance of gay/bi Black woman and being in the closet and "suspect" was more the norm
fukking truth

-You were really looked at as an outcast or loser if u smoked weed on the regular
That's true

- It was looked down on being associated with gangs or being a drug dealer
50-50

-It was looked down on if a Black woman openly acted sleezy (but it was still cool in the underworld or behind closed doors)
Black a new white trash?. I disagree but care to explain?

-We thought Michael Jackson was into grown men.
:patrice: Wasn't that Prince? MJ was fukking into kids but Prince was into men

-White Jesus was more accepted and there was more of a push to go to church on Sundays. White Jesus was also in a lot of Black homes.
THAT's TOTALLY fukkING TRUE :mjcry: :snoop:

-hitting kids to the point of abuse was normal and sometimes people who weren't your parents could put hands on a kid.

T.R.U.E. ( Only Black People cause they care)

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I'm calling bs on people saying that everybody knew or thought that MJ was straight.

I heard jokes about MJ being gay before I even knew what gay was.

"Did you hear the one about Michael? They say he must be gay...I try to argue but they say if he wasn't gay he wouldn't move that way "

hqdefault.jpg

remember also that BAD came out BEFORE the 1990s started..and he was full in weirdo mode by then
(RIP to him, not disrespecting him, just stating what it was)

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Back in day as a kid you never talked back to the old lady in neighborhood and when you played music you would turn it down if elderly person was around.These days these kids curse out their grandma's etc. Back in day if you did that you would get ya ass whoop by everybody.Now its cool to be disrespectful amongst younger folk.
This is illustrated perfectly in Menace 2 Society where O Dog......who doesn't give a fukk about shooting ANYBODY.........immediately changes his posture and tosses the weed away when Shareef's father (Roc) shows up at the barbeque.

He also catches himself and straightens up when speaking to Cain's grandparents.

Last edited:

1 other person

Superstar
Daps
Hip hop was seen as a brief trend that would soon die out.

There were Black radio stations in the 90s that refused to play Hip Hop records. They would also edit the rap verses on any R&B record,

A lot of Blacks stopped fukking with MJ after Black or White. He was seen as too wierd and somewhat of a self hater. These same people came back around after his death. The R&B radio stations stopped playing new MJ records.

Before the mid 90s, Black suburban kids didnt try to emulate being a thug.

After the mid 90's, everyone tried to act extra hard. Being a 'thug' was cool

Lot of Black women bragged that they didnt give head. And would never do such a thing.

Blacks dressed more colorfully and showed respect to Africa with pendents, clothes, and jewels.

Dirt was more underground. If you were doing dirt, it wasnt cool to talk about it. Now everybody wants to tell you their little secrets.

No cellphones or interent. Pay phones and beepers. If you traveled, you bought those big ass maps you can get at the gas stations. If you were stranded, you were screwed. No one knew where you were.