Things I noticed that stopped in the Black community once the 90's kicked in

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Maybe someone who was alive during that era can confirm this but I don't think LSD and Cheech and Chong were ever big in the black communities.

Known but not big, as far as I can remember.

Being a crackhead in the 80s and 90s was one of the worse things you could call a person. God forbid you were suspected of being one.

Now near 2020, I can say that the weed thing was far too overblown and we fell for that trick. Thankfully, now we know better. Coke, crack, meth, and heron is still on the loser list for sure. :ufdup:

White Jesus phasing out is also a good thing. Unfortunately, black folk still believe heavily in Europeanized Christianity. But I guess one step at a time. :to:

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Wasn't this also the time period of Hippies tripping balls on LSD , Cheech and Chong, Mfs doing Blow like it was no tomorrow , the crack epidemic and all that

I'm talking about the Black community before the 90's and your talking about the Hippie movement of the late 60's.

:snoop:

And for the record...A song like Mary jane was "subtle"...it wasn't in your face like Afro Mans "Because
i got high." Aresenio broke that down on The Chris Rock show in the 90's how R&B singers used to be subtle with it now its *sings Biggie song* "I'm fuking you tonight"

Safe

All Star
Supporter
Daps
-A Martin Luther King jr picture in nearly every Black persons home

-Black women didnt have tats all over their bodys

-Black music wasn't filled with profanity

-Having Food stamps was embarressing

-There was a shame factor towards anyone acting ghetto ( ratchet )

-There wasn't an over abundance of gay/bi Black woman and being in the closet and "suspect" was more the norm

-There wasn't much kosher/Halal varietys and pork was everywhere

-You were really looked at as an outcast or loser if u smoked weed on the regular

- It was looked down on being associated with gangs or being a drug dealer

-It was looked down on if a Black woman openly acted sleezy (but it was still cool in the underworld or behind closed doors)

-We thought Michael Jackson was into grown men.

-White Jesus was more accepted and there was more of a push to go to church on Sundays. White Jesus was also in a lot of Black homes.

-hitting kids to the point of abuse was normal and sometimes people who weren't your parents could put hands on a kid.

All facts, except no real black people thought MJ was anything but straight or asexual.

And I grew up in Brooklyn so halal/kosher good was always around.

Also unless you were in the streets/real ghetto, black people generally didn't do tattoos. They were for "ruffnecks" and whites. That's why Pac and those tats were such a big deal, black people were like damn this nikka is a thug for real. Tats just weren't a thing for us at all.

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
Agree with most except the Michael Jackson one. We all knew he was into girls.

The term "nikka" was rarely used. Brotha took its place instead.

White Jesus was not as common in black households . Then again, I have a lot of relatives that are part of a church (Pastor/Reverend) . Their photo/painting with a bible I saw more of.

I was born in '81 with Bay Area parents where I visited relatives in the Bay monthly.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
hitting kids to the point of abuse was normal and sometimes people who weren't your parents could put hands on a kid.

You ain't lying with this one. I caught whoopings from several great uncles, aunts, and every grand parent I knew :bryan:

Even a damn baby sitter who was like 60 something at the time had a paddle to make kids act right. And yeah I caught that one too:bryan:

One time a friends mom tapped that ass cuz I was playing too rough with her daughters :damn:

I still maintain I was set up

:ufdup:

This was all between 87-89 :heh:

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps
Low Quality Posting
Agree with most except the Michael Jackson one. We all knew he was into girls.

The term "nikka" was rarely used. Brotha took its place instead.

White Jesus was not as common in black households . Then again, I have a lot of relatives that are part of a church (Pastor/Reverend) . Their photo/painting with a bible I saw more of.

I was born in '81 with Bay Area parents where I visited relatives in the Bay monthly.
Yep. Pac, biggie and Wu tang clan are responsible for this wild use of the word today, funny how they all go origins in New York. New York looking in the light. The n-word became wildly used in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
Hip-Hop was primarily clean because until 87-88 nobody knew you could sell records with a profanity filled album. 2Live Crew and NWA proved that "dirty" albums could have major commercial success. Neither of those groups were really meant to be nationally known recording artists, and their growth was grassroots and through word of mouth. Schooly D did the same thing in Philly but never got the nationwide success.

Homey the clown

Homey don't play that
Daps
Reppin
Unknown
Whoever said Jesuus was white? Jesus is whatever race you think he is. Being from the area he was from he was either some type of Middle Eastern or African.At the church I went to we had a Black Jesus hanging on the cross. And my parents have pictures of Martin Luther King Jr, Malcolm X, Jesus and Obama hanging on the walls in their house.