EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
-A Martin Luther King jr picture in nearly every Black persons home

-Black women didnt have tats all over their bodys

-Black music wasn't filled with profanity

-Having Food stamps was embarressing

-There was a shame factor towards anyone acting ghetto ( ratchet )

-There wasn't an over abundance of gay/bi Black woman and being in the closet and "suspect" was more the norm

-There wasn't much kosher/Halal varietys and pork was everywhere

-You were really looked at as an outcast or loser if u smoked weed on the regular

- It was looked down on being associated with gangs or being a drug dealer

-It was looked down on if a Black woman openly acted sleezy (but it was still cool in the underworld or behind closed doors)

-We thought Michael Jackson was into grown men.

-White Jesus was more accepted and there was more of a push to go to church on Sundays. White Jesus was also in a lot of Black homes.

-hitting kids to the point of abuse was normal and sometimes people who weren't your parents could put hands on a kid.
  1. I think we've established that beating your children is not good, the need to do so shows a lack of control and discipline, the consequences are bad, and it doesn't necessarily solve underlying issues.
  2. I don't think there was a widespread rumor that MJ was into men?
  3. White Jesus is an embarrassing aspect of white America's introduction of Christianity to Black people.
  4. "Sleezy behavior", regardless of gender, has different responses - largely dependent on the economic and social class of the community.
  5. Gang support and popularity existed pre-90s for certain - particularly in white communities - shyt THE WARRIORS came out in 1979
  6. Weed consumption goes through phases of popularity - but considering how popular it was post-WW2, in jazz, rock and roll, funk, punk, bop, and disco communities 0 you're entirely wrong about that.
  7. The pork comment is purely regional - Islam took the Black community by storm in the 50s and 60s.
  8. Homophobia is largely the reason behind the lack of openness with sexuality - but we have a century + record of famous gay black men and women.
  9. Profanity, embarrassment about government subsidies, and tattoos are just old nikka rambling about things that have no application - struggling isn't a purely moral failure, tattoos are universally popular, and profanity in music GREATLY depended on the genre of music you were listening to.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Also - people mixing up national media campaigns run by the Republican government with general attitudes toward weed.

Being a daily weed smoker may have been frowned upon, but using "reefer" with some frequency was not - unless you were a religious or straight-laced kind of person.

Though alcohol consumption was also higher

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Yup. Rappers would say a curse every now and then, but it wasn't the 100x a song, same with the n word which was even more rarely used. NWA came in and the shock value of it to white kids in the suburbs made the labels eventually only want to sign acts that had some sort of criminal element to it. I never had an issue with NWA in and of itself, hell I listened to them. It's when the VARIETY changed and EVERY mainstream act became crime related that the music started to go downhill and has never recovered (even though acts like Wu Tang, Mobb Deep, etc. were truly talented acts). However, NYC became "gangsta rap East" to keep up with the trend which I find to be the most unfortunate thing in the history of hip hop since NYC used to be THE innovators. Instead, it fell in line so gone was the diversity in groups. A few acts in the wilderness like Jeru, De La, Grim Reap from Gravedgiggas (RIP) tried to push back but the floodgates were opened.

Well said. Shock value and being superthug was considered "real hip hop"