There’s a crisis with the new generation of American Hoopers

Daps
Truth

My son plays basketball for his U11 Elite 1 club and I'm seeing a HUGE difference from when I was growing up.

The days of just hooping and getting noticed in High School are over

Not training on skill relentlessly and relying on athleitsm are over

Not going hard until 15 or 16 is OVER

My boy who runs the program my son plays for is in the process of starting a Euro style basketball academy to serve the areas ELITE players

He doing this because we keep losing our best to other prep schools around North America.

The whole focus of the school will be basketball after their core morning classes ( math, English ect)
Damn the prep school thing reminded me of my high school.

They won the 6A state title last year (Texas) and their top player is an elite recruit that transferred to prep/academy type school for his senior year. I'm not sure he really needed to do that but these guys feel they need the jump in competition

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
Damn the prep school thing reminded me of my high school.

They won the 6A state title last year (Texas) and their top player is an elite recruit that transferred to prep/academy type school for his senior year. I'm not sure he really needed to do that but these guys feel they need the jump in competition
I don't think they need to do it either.

I kind of hate this leaving for prep school as soon as you can.

The best local High school in my area is kinda mid this season because they 2 Best players transfered to prep schools after winning the chip

They was blowing teams out by 30 in the playoffs and could have went for a repeat

wack the local fans ain't get to see them play as seniors.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I'd argue that if you didn't play AAU as a kid you likely aren't as seasoned as kids who did and they likely have more skills than you even if you have the raw talent.

You also know less coaches and have less connections than AAU kids. It's a harder road.

You'll be more likely to land at some mid major than a prestiged school that's easier to get drafted from, if you get offers at all.

No matter what school it is tho, it's ridiculously tough to be a walk on at a college in any sport, because there's guys who are on scholarships that will be immediately prioritized over you, even if you are better, a lot of politics involved

Truth.

I played AAU and college ball. The whole game is political once you start thinking about the league. If you're not at the right school, you're pretty much done. But it's always been about who you know, even if you get a chance to get in front of the scouts. Which is why a lot of the best ballers I know think the talent pool in the NBA is trash, and I can see why.

The NBA is systemized "ball". A good majority of the players are tall with minimal skill, but have learned to play decently in the system. But they would not be able to flourish the same in real games outside of this system, without league refs and the whole media set-up. Dudes like Kobe could kill sh*t everywhere, but he was special. The league is about entertainment and protecting assets (the players). So the rise of flopping and all the acting on the floor has killed the integrity of the game. You see so much of the kinda sh*t that you would never see in street ball because the NBA isn't really about ball. It's about filling seats and putting on the best show possible.

Jeshaman

All Star
Daps
The fact that you can still compare with the rest of the World shows it's not all doom and gloom. When you start saying things like, France has better players or the best hoopers are Serbian, then you can start worrying.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

The best local High school in my area is kinda mid this season because they 2 Best players transfered to prep schools after winning the chip

They was blowing teams out by 30 in the playoffs and could have went for a repeat

Probably why they left.

No competition

Koapa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Arlington, Tx.
I'm 39 and was hooping with my 17 & 18 year old cousin who hoop in all these AAU camps. I'm still in physical shape and can ball. I was busting they azz with basic fundamental moves on the perimeter, post, and post-fadeaways. One is 6'5 and the other 6'7. I immediately noticed the lack of fundamentals both had. One could barely go left. The 6'7 had no post moves for easy buckets. Both couldn't defend the post. They not trash but I told them there's no way I should be doing this to you guys on the court. I asked his mom, what does they practices consist of. Oh course, she doesn't know. I went to their practice and it's basic AF. Spend time on zone defense and most of the practice was offense plays. WTF

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Truth.

I played AAU and college ball. The whole game is political once you start thinking about the league. If you're not at the right school, you're pretty much done. But it's always been about who you know, even if you get a chance to get in front of the scouts. Which is why a lot of the best ballers I know think the talent pool in the NBA is trash, and I can see why.

The NBA is systemized "ball". A good majority of the players are tall with minimal skill, but have learned to play decently in the system. But they would not be able to flourish the same in real games outside of this system, without league refs and the whole media set-up. Dudes like Kobe could kill sh*t everywhere, but he was special. The league is about entertainment and protecting assets (the players). So the rise of flopping and all the acting on the floor has killed the integrity of the game. You see so much of the kinda sh*t that you would never see in street ball because the NBA isn't really about ball. It's about filling seats and putting on the best show possible.
This is one of the reasons why nba should expand but I’m not even sure if that solves the integrity of the game but at least more dudes will get to show they can play

Yagirlcheatinonus

Icon Poster
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anthony Davis is supposedly top 75 but getting his soul snatched by European players every single night
No different than those hot 100 lists for the kids. My kid play AAU, participate in the showcases, and play school ball. They make those list based on who’s hoopin. I seen people on those hot 100 list get that work from a regular kid who just go to the ymca everyday. At the end of the day like I tell my kid hard work and dedication go further than skill.

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
This is one of the reasons why nba should expand but I’m not even sure if that solves the integrity of the game but at least more dudes will get to show they can play
Part of the problem is they don’t have a proper tier system for their Leauge like how soccer clubs do. Regulation brings a lot of tension and spectacle to the sport while also allowing more players to showcase skill and prove they’re like that. But that’s not possible in America mainly because of how car centric and generally poor most cities and towns are they usually can’t support most teams that aren’t major (look at the tbl, modern aba, etc, tons of semi-pro leagues that are either defunct or filled with teams that cave after a year or two). Small teams pretty much would only work if people can easily access the team with proper transit and being within a suitable living distance, because that will allow extra saved income for them to buy in to games and merch.

As it stands now prep schools, college, and the g Leauge is the best the nba can do in that regard

Daps
I mean is there really a crisis when America's top stars can still beat just about anyone????

Current rookie of the year standings include 2 Americans in Holmgren and Miller behind Wemby and then after this class you got Cooper Flagg coming out.

Not a single person on the planet thought Giannis, or Jokic would be this good. They're rare and more fluke than anything else, Luka was really the only Euro guy who came in that should've had anyone worried. I think this shyt is overblown.

SGA (Canadian for those who didn't know) is another one that came out of no where. No one thought he'd be this good. When he's healthy Ja Morant is just about his equal. So I don't know where the panic is coming from here.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I mean is there really a crisis when America's top stars can still beat just about anyone????

Current rookie of the year standings include 2 Americans in Holmgren and Miller behind Wemby and then after this class you got Cooper Flagg coming out.

Not a single person on the planet thought Giannis, or Jokic would be this good. They're rare and more fluke than anything else, Luka was really the only Euro guy who came in that should've had anyone worried. I think this shyt is overblown.

SGA (Canadian for those who didn't know) is another one that came out of no where. No one thought he'd be this good. When he's healthy Ja Morant is just about his equal. So I don't know where the panic is coming from here.
Denial. We're about to have our 6th straight foreign MVP. Who knows when that streak will end with wemby already looking dominant

Braman

Superstar
Daps

This ain’t really new tho. Back in the day our local HS star as a sophomore locked up ronald curry in the state final :wow: It was a HUGE deal curry was a senior, national player of the year in bball and football. Held him to something crazy like 10 on 4/15 while he had 25

That got him a ticket to Oak Hill and he eventually went to Kentucky. Unless you’re a can’t miss prospect already on the national map you kinda have to transfer to the big school

Edit: he had 31 and held curry to 13 :damn:

Last edited: