There’s a crisis with the new generation of American Hoopers

HandyWithTheSteel

Superstar
Daps
He's not American no matter how you spin it. Pinning One AAU team to his whole development is crazy.

Try again
:mjlol:

Played AAU ball, played against American high school teams, played college ball at Kentucky. Developed entirely in the American system.

But he’s a “foreigner” because he’s from fukking Canada.

:mjlol:

Dipsey Doo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Part of the problem is they don’t have a proper tier system for their Leauge like how soccer clubs do. Regulation brings a lot of tension and spectacle to the sport while also allowing more players to showcase skill and prove they’re like that. But that’s not possible in America mainly because of how car centric and generally poor most cities and towns are they usually can’t support most teams that aren’t major (look at the tbl, modern aba, etc, tons of semi-pro leagues that are either defunct or filled with teams that cave after a year or two). Small teams pretty much would only work if people can easily access the team with proper transit and being within a suitable living distance, because that will allow extra saved income for them to buy in to games and merch.

As it stands now prep schools, college, and the g Leauge is the best the nba can do in that regard

These overseas leagues in Europe are subsidized by the EU and local governments. So there isn't a financial incentive for these leagues to be profitable like here in the US.

The NBA basically had a free farm system in NCAA basketball which worked fine for development of potential players until the turn of the century. Eliminating players jumping from high school and the introduction of the G league has disincentivized players staying and developing in college for 3-4 years.

Now NBA teams are in the business of taking kids not even two years removed from high school and trying to develop them, which is a mixed bag.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
They'll have to start identifying talent early on and getting the young bruhs coached up with an academy system. No more AAU and high school ball. No waiting until you're 15/16/17. They gotta get the kids at like 10/11/12 and have them get elite education and then professional level hoops training early on.

American parents aren't going to want to do that with kids that young but if Lil Jr. has Michael Jordan potential, that's what it's gonna take to get into the league. These Euros wanna dominate. We can't take over soccer but they damn sure will try to take over basketball.

I thoroughly disagree with the bolded. American parents have been sending their kids to boarding school since the dawn of time. I have two sons, if I know they'll get world class education AND elite basketball training I'm sending them off to West Bumblefukk and visiting when I can.

Daps
They changed all the rules for CAC's and Euros to thrive. The league was too black for them.

Steph coming in the mid 2010's and making it a 3 point league put the final nail in the coffin.

The NBA is now reaping what David Stern started
Makes sense.

NFL = league wanted to showcase Manning, Brady etc., so the rules were changed to favor the passing game at the expense of running the ball and defense. If you watch football, it's A WHOLE LOTTA brehs playing defense...especially if it's a good defense. Not uncommon to have 9 or 10 of 11 defensive starters be Black.

NBA = to get rid of the Iverson-element, the rules got changed up. Probably helped them with international competitions but also made the transition easier for Euro players. Dirk is the last one to have to come up the 'ol skool' way and he had to develop a deep bag because of it. Young Dirk in today's game would be ridiculous. He avg 35/15 on KG in the '02 playoffs. Can only imagine what 24/25-year old Dirk would do now :eat:

ScottyG

Separate the boys from men
Daps
I mean is there really a crisis when America's top stars can still beat just about anyone????

Current rookie of the year standings include 2 Americans in Holmgren and Miller behind Wemby and then after this class you got Cooper Flagg coming out.

Not a single person on the planet thought Giannis, or Jokic would be this good. They're rare and more fluke than anything else, Luka was really the only Euro guy who came in that should've had anyone worried. I think this shyt is overblown.

SGA (Canadian for those who didn't know) is another one that came out of no where. No one thought he'd be this good. When he's healthy Ja Morant is just about his equal. So I don't know where the panic is coming from here.
Morant on sga level :mjlol:

Go back to the ladies room :camby:

It ain't your fault hoopin just ain't you :huhldup:

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
I don't need to. As stated the mvp and also the first team all NBA the last few years speak for themselves
I mean you didn't really refute his point though, yeah we've had foreign MVPs for what the last 5-6 years? Giannis and Jokic are easily the best player on their national team. It doesn't mean USA players aren't far and wide still the standard and most talented.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
They changed all the rules for CAC's and Euros to thrive. The league was too black for them.

Steph coming in the mid 2010's and making it a 3 point league put the final nail in the coffin.

The NBA is now reaping what David Stern started
This has been one of Gilbert arenas better talking points, it actually makes since if you really think about, other than Rudy (I don’t count gannais as euro for some reason) what foreign dudes really come to the league on some defensive shyt

But this is the nba they wanted, positionless basketball where you can’t really play defense

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I mean you didn't really refute his point though, yeah we've had foreign MVPs for what the last 5-6 years? Giannis and Jokic are easily the best player on their national team. It doesn't mean USA players aren't far and wide still the standard and most talented.
We're pathetic in fiba(7th place )and barely scrape out golds the past 15 years. Once the old guard is gone it'll be spooky

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
I don't need to. As stated the mvp and also the first team all NBA the last few years speak for themselves
I mean Steve Nash won back to back mvp, and do we really count gannis and embid as euro players?