THEE TOP 100 YEARS BY A RAP ARTIST, SOLO........TOP 5!!!! TOP 5!!!!!

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
didn't have the hits, numbers, etc.

that held him back from competing with the rappers that cracked the top 10.

but shouldn't it be a combination of critical and commercial acclaim?

like Ice Cube released AMW, KAW and DC between 90 and 91...went platinum on all of them and got 5 mics out the gate for AMW and 4.5 for DC (later changed to 5).

Wouldn't that put him over someone like Puffy?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
but shouldn't it be a combination of critical and commercial acclaim?

like Ice Cube released AMW, KAW and DC between 90 and 91...went platinum on all of them and got 5 mics out the gate for AMW and 4.5 for DC (later changed to 5).

Wouldn't that put him over someone like Puffy?

it is, along with a lot of other stuff. the criteria is in the OP.

that's how ice cube got ranked so high in the first place. otherwise. 92-93 cube would be on the list instead.

nah. not ahead of puffy. only thing puff failed to do in '97 was drop a classic album, but "no way out" was still excellent.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
theres so much wrong with the bolded.

jeezy was already getting automatic crossover love from the moment he came out. he didn't have to pander to anybody like TIP did. he also had the commercial/critical/streets all locked up from jump.

none of those records that jeezy did with akon, Kanye, or rihanna were commercial.

Jeezy wasn't getting any automatic crossover love. Dude came out with records that crossed over that featured acts who had already crossed over. "Soul Survivor" featured Akon, "Go Getta" featured R. Kelly, and "Put On" featured Kanye. Meanwhile, T.I. had solo crossover hits without features before Paper Trail even came out.

"Soul Survivor" is a commercial record. "Put On" is a commercial record and "Go Hard" is a commercial record.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Jeezy wasn't getting any automatic crossover love. Dude came out with records that crossed over that featured acts who had already crossed over. "Soul Survivor" featured Akon, "Go Getta" featured R. Kelly, and "Put On" featured Kanye. Meanwhile, T.I. had solo crossover hits without features before Paper Trail even came out.

"Soul Survivor" is a commercial record. "Put On" is a commercial record and "Go Hard" is a commercial record.

jeezy was big before all of that.

and none of those records are commercial either. I don't remember "go hard" tho.

T.I. pandered towards the crossover. just like he pandered to the east coast.
difference is, the mainstream and the east coast pander to jeezy. not the other way around.

jeezy is the one that blew trap out of the water, btw. not TIP.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
jeezy was big before all of that.

and none of those records are commercial either. I don't remember "go hard" tho.

T.I. pandered towards the crossover. just like he pandered to the east coast.
difference is, the mainstream and the east coast pander to jeezy. not the other way around.

jeezy is the one that blew trap out of the water, btw. not TIP.

Jeezy did not crossover before "Soul Survivor". That's a rewrite.

T.I. didn't pander towards the crossover until Paper Trail. "What You Know About That" isn't a blatant crossover record. He didn't pander to the East Coast either. Jeezy was out here with Fat Joe and Jay Z features. He was buddy, buddy with Jay jumping on Mariah Carey records in '05.

T.I. took Trap music mainstream before any of you ever heard of a Jeezy.

Seems like Jeezy wanted to be T.I.:

1) He sampled T.I.'s "Rubberband Man" for "My Hood"

2) T.I. is featured on Jeezy's first two albums

3) Jeezy was not claiming anything having to do with Trap until after Trap Muzik came out

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Jeezy did not crossover before "Soul Survivor". That's a rewrite.

T.I. didn't pander towards the crossover until Paper Trail. "What You Know About That" isn't a blatant crossover record. He didn't pander to the East Coast either. Jeezy was out here with Fat Joe and Jay Z features. He was buddy, buddy with Jay jumping on Mariah Carey records in '05.

T.I. took Trap music mainstream before any of you ever heard of a Jeezy.

Seems like Jeezy wanted to be T.I.:

1) He sampled T.I.'s "Rubberband Man" for "My Hood"

2) T.I. is featured on Jeezy's first two albums

3) Jeezy was not claiming anything having to do with Trap until after Trap Muzik came out

jeezy been a star since he came out. iirc, the album was platinum before the "soul survivor" video dropped. that song may have made him bigger, but its not a commercial cut either way.
EDIT: I remember you being in a thread about a year ago where everybody was trying to tell you the difference between aiming for the crossover, and a song crossing over on its own. LOL. I'm not eve gonna go there with you on that. its a waste of time.

TIP has been pandering since his very first video, which stalled his career.

TIP broke trap thru. jeezy saw the lane, drove threw it, and put trap on his back.

I don't think u get what I'm saying. I'm not saying that tip wanted to be young jeezy himself. I'm saying he wanted jeezy's props. he wanted jeezy's spot before jeezy himself even had it. u understand?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
jeezy been a star since he came out. iirc, the album was platinum before the "soul survivor" video dropped. that song may have made him bigger, but its not a commercial cut either way.
EDIT: I remember you being in a thread about a year ago where everybody was trying to tell you the difference between aiming for the crossover, and a song crossing over on its own. LOL. I'm not eve gonna go there with you on that. its a waste of time.

TIP has been pandering since his very first video, which stalled his career.

TIP broke trap thru. jeezy saw the lane, drove threw it, and put trap on his back.

I don't think u get what I'm saying. I'm not saying that tip wanted to be young jeezy himself. I'm saying he wanted jeezy's props. he wanted jeezy's spot before jeezy himself even had it. u understand?

Jeezy was not a star since he came out. That came later. Dude wasn't even Jeezy when he came out.

Yes, there's blatant attempts at crossover and there's songs that crossover without being blatant. I just addressed that in a previous post in this thread. Throwing Akon on a song at the height of his popularity is a blatant crossover attempt. Kon was not only on the song, he produced it.

You love making up garbage to support your narrative:

TM101 dropped July 26, 2005. "Soul Survivor" dropped July 16, 2005. The video dropped shortly after. The album was certified platinum September 25, 2005. How was he platinum before the album even dropped?

T.I. didn't start pandering until Paper Trail.

So you agree that Jeezy isn't the one that broke trap through. It is a wave he jumoed on after T.I. broke it through yet T.I. wanted to be Jeezy according to you

You clearly stated T.I. wanted to be Jeezy as opposed to him wanting the spot that Jeezy occupied. T.I. was already in that position before Jeezy dropped.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Jeezy was not a star since he came out. That came later. Dude wasn't even Jeezy when he came out.

Yes, there's blatant attempts at crossover and there's songs that crossover without being blatant. I just addressed that in a previous post in this thread. Throwing Akon on a song at the height of his popularity is a blatant crossover attempt. Kon was not only on the song, he produced it.

You love making up garbage to support your narrative:

TM101 dropped July 26, 2005. "Soul Survivor" dropped July 16, 2005. The video dropped shortly after. The album was certified platinum September 25, 2005. How was he platinum before the album even dropped?

T.I. didn't start pandering until Paper Trail.

So you agree that Jeezy isn't the one that broke trap through. It is a wave he jumoed on after T.I. broke it through yet T.I. wanted to be Jeezy according to you

You clearly stated T.I. wanted to be Jeezy as opposed to him wanting the spot that Jeezy occupied. T.I. was already in that position before Jeezy dropped.

@ the bolded: I already broke my statement down thoroughly, 3 times over. if you still don't understand, then that's on you.

and TIP been pandering his whole career breh. "paper trail" was when he started going overboard.

when someone says "since he came out", theyre referring to when he came out nationally. not when he was underground.

the akon thing is just speculation on your part. how do you know that he just didn't want to do a song with akon? cuz the song isn't commercially driven at all. its a song about hustling, with a guy who during the previous year, blew up making a song about prison.

yea, I know when the release date was for the "soul survivor". but a lot of times, the official release of singles, are long before they really hit radio. its kinda weird.
as for soul survivor, I may be wrong, but I thought that was more of a fall season single.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@ the bolded: I already broke my statement down thoroughly, 3 times over. if you still don't understand, then that's on you.

and TIP been pandering his whole career breh. "paper trail" was when he started going overboard.

when someone says "since he came out", theyre referring to when he came out nationally. not when he was underground.

the akon thing is just speculation on your part. how do you know that he just didn't want to do a song with akon? cuz the song isn't commercially driven at all. its a song about hustling, with a guy who during the previous year, blew up making a song about prison.

yea, I know when the release date was for the "soul survivor". but a lot of times, the official release of singles, are long before they really hit radio. its kinda weird.
as for soul survivor, I may be wrong, but I thought that was more of a fall season single.

You back peddled. There was no break down.

T.I. didn't pander his whole career. That is speculation on your part.

The Akon thing isn't speculation. Jeezy thought "Soul Survivor" was going to ruin his career. His thoughts not mine:

"The Atlanta emcee originally thought this collab with Akon would ruin his career"

Young Jeezy Shares the Story Behind "Soul Survivor" for 'Magnum Opus' | Mass Appeal

When Jeezy came out he wasn't a star. "Soul Survivor" put him there.

"Soul Survivor" was a summer single and it pretty much carried the album to platinum.

Breh, the subject matter of a song doesn't determine whether or not it's commercial. When "Soul Survivor" came out, Akon was fresh of this song:

^^^ His first international hit and the biggest song he had out at the time.

Oh and then you tried to make it like Jeezy did no pandering to the East Coast. "Soul Survivor" video was based on the movie Paid In Full. Beanie Sigel, Fabolous, DJ Clue and of course Cam make cameo appearances in the video.