The Woman King is one of the best movies I ever watched, controversy be damned

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
What he also fails to understand is that you can't separate your enslaved African ancestors from their lineages.

Our enslaved ancestors were most likely sold by warring tribes that we ALSO descend from, who could have been captured and sold by another warring tribe later.

Most of us have genetic makeup from the area of Benin/Togo which means most of us have lineage from the Dahomeys.

The enslaved weren't segregated when they got to America. They were all forced to mix with each other. That Senegambia blood that we got, guess what, that came from ancestors who belonged to the Mali, Songhay, and Fula empires that were slave traders. That Nigerian blood that we have, guess what, it could've came from the Ijaw, Ibibio, and Efik tribes that were slave traders. The Igbo practiced their own form of slavery, and many of us are descended from them.

Are we gonna demand that all of these kingdoms and chiefdoms be portrayed as savages?

The white anglo saxon protestants of the Northeast ancestors (the Puritans) were being sent to the guillotine and burned at the stake by their own countryman in England, which was the catalyst for them having to flee to America. Do you hear the WASP demanding that England be portrayed as a tyrannical empire in the media? Even after a whole war with England, the US maintains it's closest ties to England due in part to many of those WASP in the Northeast. You'll never hear them talking down on that empire.

A lot of these brehs move like a truly vanquished people with no power sounding like whiney children. It's embarrassing.
They don’t have to demand it. Please name a revolutionary war movie where the English are seen having a leader who says “oh let the Americans be free” when we know the real story

Cut it the fukk out. It’s not where we came from or just some Hollywood misstep. This is like making a movie painting OJ as freeing NBS. You’re not omitting shyt. You’re purposely lying to make the villains into the heroes.

That’s the fukked up part. There’s no white movie where the British are the heroes of the revolutionary war

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
What he also fails to understand is that you can't separate your enslaved African ancestors from their lineages.
I already admitted that my ancestors come from both. So your statement about what I fail to understand is incorrect. I stated to me it does not matter that my own people participated in it, I still feel that the participation is still repugnant. I don't accept something just because it was my own people doing it too. That is the difference between me and some of you. I do not change my opinion on what is wrong based on who is committing the acts.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
Facts. A lot of black Americans are most likely descendants of both slaves and slave traders.

The movie is amazing btw. OP hit it right on the head
Please, explain to me why any of what he wrote changes anything? Why should we be fine with the falsified depiction of them, just because some of our ancestors were slavers too? What does any of that change about the repugnancy of the situation? I know I do not change my view on if something is evil or not based on who commits the acts, do you?

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
Your people probably enslaved other tribes as well
Yes, and does that change anything? Does that make the whole thing right since both-sides where doing wrong? Really, you guys are trying to use "your ancestors did it too" as a reason why we are wrong for not supporting the movie? I'm seriously trying to understand why any of you would think that matters?

BlackCinema

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Saw it. Basically it's a movie you can tell was written by women -- I say that respectfully. Just different sensibilities when a women writes or directs which is how it should be because men and women are different. Just like Rap Ish or other shows -- I can immediately tell who is the creator. Again not a bad thing because women have a perspective I can appreciate too.

With that said --

Most of the time I felt like this movie was a Color Purple version of war/slave trade/warriors, if that makes sense.

Also, John Boyega character took me out as much as other things did. My wife even said every time she saw him it felt like she was watching Coming to America or something.

Gay character was unnecessary -- he had the sassiness of a 2022 gay male even though this was the 1800s. Felt out of place probably because it was forced.

Movie would've benefited from like an extra 5 million or so in budget. A lot of the issues I had I identified with low budget like some of the sets looking like I was at the Animal Kingdom in Disney World.

Lastly, I would say that the movie would've benefited from a male writer being on board if they sought more authenticity, but for what it is, a women's take on this period that's not meant to be taken as real it's a decent flick. With all that being said, it's nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be.

Last edited:

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
Just finished it, easily one of the best movies ive ever seen :wow:
Cant even recall the last time my eyes teared up in a theater...

...its a must see IMO
Why do you feel it was one of the best movies you have ever watched?