The Woman King is one of the best movies I ever watched, controversy be damned

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps

Wait how have ppl been able to fake and act like they don’t know what “akata” means when this slur has clearly been an issue for at least a couple DECADES?!

I have never seen that scene (admittedly I’ve probably only watched a few minutes of Sugar Hill because I was too young as a kid), but this was such an issue it was addressed in film back in the 90s?! Wtf

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Wait how have ppl been able to fake and act like they don’t know what “akata” means when this slur has clearly been an issue for at least a couple DECADES?!

I have never seen that scene (admittedly I’ve probably only watched a few minutes of Sugar Hill because I was too young as a kid), but this was such an issue it was addressed in film back in the 90s?! Wtf

If you’re not Nigerian, but are African, how would you know?

If you’re a Nigerian but only used that word in Nigeria to describe other Nigerians, how would you know?

Daps
i don't get the fake controversy. my fav movie is goodfellas, the community generally loves the paid in fulls, american gangster, godfathers, etc. all based on real life event, but all with a lot of extras, and they certainly paint psychopathic criminals in popular light.

i don't go to hollywood for history lessons, it's entertainment :yeshrug:
OP had me at beautiful cinematography 😍, you love to see it

Last edited:

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
What I have a problem with is those same people trying to tell us who don't support it that we are essentially wrong for not supporting it. We have just as much right to view it as repugnant as they have the right to view it as simple entertainment.
Nah I don't feel there's a right or wrong in this. From what I understand Viola fell in love with the whole idea of a fierce all black female Spartan type army long ago. Then the role she played in BP which was also inspired by Dahomey probably fueled her desire to do the film even more. Plus seeing how BP took the world by storm.

Her and the Love n Basketball chick really wanted to capitalize on that moment where everyone was in love with BP. For them it was probably all about doing a project where they could really flex the black girl magic narrative despite the dark history the real Dahomey had.

Some folks just not even gonna give it a chance and that's their right.

Spectre

Ace Killer OG
Daps
I’m gonna watch and decide for myself

This is the first movie where people are being encouraged to immediately boycott before it even came out because of historical inaccuracy

Which is odd since people hold many period piece movies in high regard despite being super inaccurate

Also seems odd when an all black cast in an all black film is made with high production and all of a sudden it’s boycott now before it hits the box office

Only good thing I could see if its success makes even more way for all black high production films to be green lit without Tyler perry or will packer’s name on it

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
Nah I don't feel there's a right or wrong in this. From what I understand Viola fell in love with the whole idea of a fierce all black female Spartan type army long ago. Then the role she played in BP which was also inspired by Dahomey probably fueled her desire to do the film even more. Plus seeing how BP took the world by storm.

Her and the Love n Basketball chick really wanted to capitalize on that moment where everyone was in love with BP. For them it was probably all about doing a project where they could really flex the black girl magic narrative despite the dark history the real Dahomey had.

Some folks just not even gonna give it a chance and that's their right.
??? :wtf: She wasn’t in BP