The Woman King is one of the best movies I ever watched, controversy be damned

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
I’m gonna watch and decide for myself

This is the first movie where people are being encouraged to immediately boycott before it even came out because of historical inaccuracy

Which is odd since people hold many period piece movies in high regard despite being super inaccurate

Also seems odd when an all black cast in an all black film is made with high production and all of a sudden it’s boycott now before it hits the box office

Only good thing I could see if its success makes even more way for all black high production films to be green lit without Tyler perry or will packer’s name on it
It actually outperformed first week expectations :ehh:. Debuted at #1.

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
Got these militant morons seething. fukk your negs:umad:
I'm not sure why you posted this in TLR lmao...brothers are less charitable around these parts. Appreciate you at least offering an honest opinion that you knew would bring heat.

invalid

Banned
Daps
The Dahomey weren't genocidal and trying to slaughter any and all Black people. They were typical warmongers like the Vikings and Spartans who get movies and tv shows made about them and are celebrated.

So in the Jewish example it's more like Zionists vs Non-Zionists. Where some Jewish people are pro-Israel no matter what and others think they need to cease their apartheid behavior and make peace with Palestinians and others.

Also as mentioned elsewhere there were no virtuous and heroic African empires that were 100% against slavery domestically and for foreign countries.

Nzinga, Mansa Musa, The Dahomey, The Ashanti, The Mali Empire, etc....were all in the slavery business. :francis:

So either Black people want cartoons showing Africans as superheroes that are 100% good which doesn't represent history or they can deal with history as it was which was gray and filled with people just doing whatever to make money and a few people trying to do the right thing.

What he also fails to understand is that you can't separate your enslaved African ancestors from their lineages.

Our enslaved ancestors were most likely sold by warring tribes that we ALSO descend from, who could have been captured and sold by another warring tribe later.

Most of us have genetic makeup from the area of Benin/Togo which means most of us have lineage from the Dahomeys.

The enslaved weren't segregated when they got to America. They were all forced to mix with each other. That Senegambia blood that we got, guess what, that came from ancestors who belonged to the Mali, Songhay, and Fula empires that were slave traders. That Nigerian blood that we have, guess what, it could've came from the Ijaw, Ibibio, and Efik tribes that were slave traders. The Igbo practiced their own form of slavery, and many of us are descended from them.

Are we gonna demand that all of these kingdoms and chiefdoms be portrayed as savages?

The white anglo saxon protestants of the Northeast ancestors (the Puritans) were being sent to the guillotine and burned at the stake by their own countryman in England, which was the catalyst for them having to flee to America. Do you hear the WASP demanding that England be portrayed as a tyrannical empire in the media? Even after a whole war with England, the US maintains it's closest ties to England due in part to many of those WASP in the Northeast. You'll never hear them talking down on that empire.

A lot of these brehs move like a truly vanquished people with no power sounding like whiney children. It's embarrassing.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps

only 96 movies in history got an A+ cinemascore :patrice:

I'm so torn on if I wanna go see this movie or not

Why the fukk did they have to make it about the Dahomeys
I might glance on it of F-Movies

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
A lot of people prefer a beautiful lie to an ugly truth. That is perfectly fine that they do.

I personally prefer to accept the truth, no matter the warts it may possess. I feel there is no way to truly overcome the past, unless the truth about it is understood and the negatives not repeated.

*edit: I am also glad that you are not being disingenuous in your reasons for supporting the movie. It is refreshing to see someone supporting it being honest on the reason why.
Facts. I’m not propping up some movie about the people who enslaved my people but africa wash it so they look like heroes. I don’t give a fukk if Denzel in it and Spike directing.

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
What he also fails to understand is that you can't separate your enslaved African ancestors from their lineages.

Our enslaved ancestors were most likely sold by warring tribes that we ALSO descend from, who could have been captured and sold by another warring tribe later.

Most of us have genetic makeup from the area of Benin/Togo which means most of us have lineage from the Dahomeys.

The enslaved weren't segregated when they got to America. They were all forced to mix with each other. That Senegambia blood that we got, guess what, that came from ancestors who belonged to the Mali, Songhay, and Fula empires that were slave traders. That Nigerian blood that we have, guess what, it could've came from the Ijaw, Ibibio, and Efik tribes that were slave traders. The Igbo practiced their own form of slavery, and many of us are descended from them.

Are we gonna demand that all of these kingdoms and chiefdoms be portrayed as savages?

The white anglo saxon protestants of the Northeast ancestors (the Puritans) were being sent to the guillotine and burned at the stake by their own countryman in England, which was the catalyst for them having to flee to America. Do you hear the WASP demanding that England be portrayed as a tyrannical empire in the media? Even after a whole war with England, the US maintains it's closest ties to England due in part to many of those WASP in the Northeast. You'll never hear them talking down on that empire.

A lot of these brehs move like a truly vanquished people with no power sounding like whiney children. It's embarrassing.

Facts. A lot of black Americans are most likely descendants of both slaves and slave traders.

The movie is amazing btw. OP hit it right on the head

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
Facts. I’m not propping up some movie about the people who enslaved my people but africa wash it so they look like heroes. I don’t give a fukk if Denzel in it and Spike directing.

Your people probably enslaved other tribes as well