The Woman King is one of the best movies I ever watched, controversy be damned

Daps
Reppin
Seattle/Tacoma
That one person you mentioned is the person I said it was, right? The female General played by Viola Davis. Which I said was the misrepresentation of the truth.
Breh again..I never said the movie was historically accurate. Lol I don't see what you are looking to get at this point. You also made a bunch of statements about how the role of the slave trade was depicted in the movie which were false and mostly things you heard somewhere else by others who didn't actually see the movie. I'll tell you what...you got it though.

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps
We do not choose to support in the same vein that Jews would not support a movie making Nazis the heroes of WW2. The revisionist history on them is distasteful to some of us.

The Dahomey weren't genocidal and trying to slaughter any and all Black people. They were typical warmongers like the Vikings and Spartans who get movies and tv shows made about them and are celebrated.

So in the Jewish example it's more like Zionists vs Non-Zionists. Where some Jewish people are pro-Israel no matter what and others think they need to cease their apartheid behavior and make peace with Palestinians and others.

Also as mentioned elsewhere there were no virtuous and heroic African empires that were 100% against slavery domestically and for foreign countries.

Nzinga, Mansa Musa, The Dahomey, The Ashanti, The Mali Empire, etc....were all in the slavery business. :francis:

So either Black people want cartoons showing Africans as superheroes that are 100% good which doesn't represent history or they can deal with history as it was which was gray and filled with people just doing whatever to make money and a few people trying to do the right thing.

Last edited:

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What a wild thread, OP didn't even say something like 'I wish they delved deeper into slave trade aspect' he straight up has no problem with what the film did, this is why films like this, hell why industries treat black people the way they do because a lot of us will accept anything :snoop:

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
The Dahomey weren't genocidal and trying to slaughter any and all Black people. They were typical warmongers like the Vikings and Spartans who get movies and tv shows made about them and are celebrated.

So in the Jewish example it's more like Zionists vs Non-Zionists. Where some Jewish people are pro-Israel no matter what and others think they need to cease their apartheid behavior and make peace with Palestinians and others.

Also as mentioned elsewhere there were no virtuous and heroic African empires that were 100% against slavery domestically and for foreign countries.

Nzinga, Mansa Musa, The Dahomey, The Ashanti, The Mali Empire, etc....were all in the slavery business. :francis:

So either Black people want cartoons showing Africans as superheroes that are 100% good which doesn't represent reality or they can deal with reality which was gray and filled with people just doing whatever to make money and a few people trying to do the right thing.
No one wrote anything that contradicts what you have written. What was pointed out is that the revision of their history in the movie is distasteful. The lie that makes them out to be some sort of heroes when they were not. The fact they sold some of our ancestors into slavery is still a valid reason for many of us to not support any depiction of them as being the good guys.

I used the Jew example, because it is the closes parallel to our own holocaust of enslavement. What the Vikings did to the English and what the Spartans did to other Greeks and Persians is something they can argue over themselves. I am just pointing out that our reason for not supporting this film are just as valid as what a Jews reason for not being supportive of a film that portrays Nazis in a positive light would be.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
:russ: what are you torn about?

It was a good ass movie. Lashana lynch, viola, boyega and the South African chick all did their thing. Good ass action scenes too

Months back I was skeptical about watching cause nikkas online made it seem like it was gonna be nothing but nikkas getting emasculated and bed wenching. In reality, it was none of that.

The real history of Dahomey is fukked up, but I like what they did with the story in this movie.

nikkas talking bout BBBbut IT WAS WRITTEN BY WHITE WOMEN

Ask them if that stopped them from watching other popular Black movies like Black Panther or Bad Boys or Straight Outta Compton. shyt I even forgot about Django :pachaha:

Let some goofy internet outrage stop you from enjoying a good movie brehs:mjlol:
Point out which of those movies you mentioned said, "Based on a True story". That is what is said about the Woman King, then you find out it is a revised story making heroes out of a tribe of slavers.

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
Just finished it. Tbh found it mostly boring. And yes it is historically inaccurate. Fight scenes were cool. There was no wenching (well kinda but not really). Accents seemed kinda off. Visually was nice. No gay shyt (kinda, but it's not really noticeable).

6/10 overall. Watched it on a streaming site.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Point out which of those movies you mentioned said, "Based on a True story". That is what is said about the Woman King, then you find out it is a revised story making heroes out of a tribe of slavers.
For TWK I believe the label was "inspired by true events" which it was. Dahomey and the women army did exist for example. But Viola Davis character the main character being the lead general and others were fictionalized. It was never meant to be a historical reenactment

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
For TWK I believe the label was "inspired by true events" which it was. Dahomey and the women army did exist for example. But Viola Davis character the main character being the lead general and others were fictionalized. It was never meant to be a historical reenactment
You are correct, I misspoke. It does say inspired not based.

Yea, and I would be fine with that if they were not made out to be some type of heroes. See, it is known that they participated in slave trade. They were not reluctant participants, they were enthusiastic about that shyt. To then turn around and make a movie about them depicting them as some type of heroes, even if it is fictionalized, still does not sit right with me.

Now if other people want to watch it, that is their prerogative. I have nothing against them supporting the film. What I have a problem with is those same people trying to tell us who don't support it that we are essentially wrong for not supporting it. We have just as much right to view it as repugnant as they have the right to view it as simple entertainment.