The Woman King is one of the best movies I ever watched, controversy be damned

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
The movie actually covers that though. Don't want to say too much but I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.
It covers it by making it seem like the women did not want to continue slaving, while the king did? Is that how it was covered, because if that is the case then that is a lie.

*Also, even NPR and other outlets have pointed out that the truth is glossed over and misrepresented. So have you actually read the truth about them, or are you allowing a movie written by two White women to be your source?

Daps
Reppin
Seattle/Tacoma
How does the film “cover” that?

If they actually “covered” that, wouldn’t you feel disgust at the main protagonists selling your ancestors into slavery?
I'm not going to spoil the movie. I'll say...it didn't "disgust" me because it didn't completely try to rewrite history or anything. Yes it is an ugly part of history...but it is a part of our(AA) history. Besides that there isn't much I can discuss with you if you haven't seen the movie. I can just say it touched in alot of different aspects of that time...in terms of tribalism and the slave trade.

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I'm not going to spoil the movie. I'll say...it didn't "disgust" me because it didn't completely try to rewrite history or anything. Yes it is an ugly part of history...but it is a part of our(AA) history. Besides that there isn't much I can discuss with you if you haven't seen the movie. I can just say it touched in alot of different aspects of that time...in terms of tribalism and the slave trade.

Use the spoiler function

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
And just for the record, you didn't have a problem with a black American playing a role they could've hired an African woman for because you know if the roles were reversed....

WaterloggedSpiritedIndianspinyloach-max-1mb.gif

You wouldn't hear the fukking end of it.
She played her part well so I didn't mind at all

Daps
Reppin
Seattle/Tacoma
It covers it by making it seem like the women did not want to continue slaving, while the king did? Is that how it was covered, because if that is the case then that is a lie.
It covered different aspects like I said. You would have to see it.
*Also, even NPR and other outlets have pointed out that the truth is glossed over and misrepresented. So have you actually read the truth about them, or are you allowing a movie written by two White women to be your source?
I saw the movie myself fam. I didn't need to read any outlets reviews. I know the history also. Was it a 100% accurate depiction of the history. No, but it didn't claim to be. It's a Hollywood production I'm not sure why people expect it to be documentary level accuracy?? Is your issue who it was written by?

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Seattle/Tacoma

IT DOESNT THOUGH...
THATS THE FICTIONAL shyt
THE WHITE FEMALE WRITERS
WANT YOU TO BELIEVE SO
YOU GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY.

THE CONFLICT OVER SLAVERY
THATS PRESENTED IN THE MOVIE
ISNT WHAT REALLY HAPPENED.

THE WHOLE KINGDOM WAS ALL IN.

THERE WERE NO LIBERATORS.

:devil:
:evil:

I just saw the movie. I didnt read reviews and all that. I like to see movies and decide for myself about what they are if they interest me. Did you actually see the movie? Lol

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
It covered different aspects like I said. You would have to see it.

I saw the movie myself fam. I didn't need to read any outlets reviews. I know the history also. Was it a 100% accurate depiction of the history. No, but it didn't claim to be. It's a Hollywood production I'm not sure why people expect it to be documentary level accuracy?? Is your issue who it was written by?
No, people do not expect it to make heroes out of a tribe whose main export was slaves to Europeans. That is what people are saying. We do not choose to support in the same vein that Jews would not support a movie making Nazis the heroes of WW2. The revisionist history on them is distasteful to some of us.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I just saw the movie. I didnt read reviews and all that. I like to see movies and decide for myself about what they are if they interest me. Did you actually see the movie? Lol

THERES NO HEROS
NOR LIBERATORS IN THIS MOVIE?

SIMPLE QUESTION.

YES OR NO?

Daps
Reppin
Seattle/Tacoma
No, people do not expect it to make heroes out of a tribe whose main export was slaves to Europeans. That is what people are saying. We do not choose to support in the same vein that Jews would not support a movie making Nazis the heroes of WW2. The revisionist history on them is distasteful to some of us.
I feel you on why YOU choose not to support it, but you also can't sit here and reply to the thread as if you know exactly what happened in the movie if you haven't seen it and don't know....yo how the hell do I use spoiler function on my phone? I been trying to find it. Ended doing something I aint want to do lol

Daps
Reppin
Seattle/Tacoma

THERES NO HEROS
NOR LIBERATORS IN THIS MOVIE?

SIMPLE QUESTION.

YES OR NO?

No, I never said there weren't though. Was it being depicted differently somewhere? I guess for me I feel differently about seeing it because I don't expect Hollywood productions to give true historical context in regards to slavery. I look at it like for the people who have no idea about all of the history behind it(which is way more than people that do) something like this can be good because it can lead to them going and researching and learning more about the history.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
I feel you on why YOU choose not to support it, but you also can't sit here and reply to the thread as if you know exactly what happened in the movie if you haven't seen it and don't know....yo how the hell do I use spoiler function on my phone? I been trying to find it. Ended doing something I aint want to do lol
Use the spoiler function
How about you do what that brother stated and correct what other organizations like NPR and the Slate has said about the misrepresentation being done in the movie. You seem to be so intent on going in circles over this, when you can prove us wrong by actually stating what happened behind a spoiler.

Example, they made it seem like the main character offered up the idea to trade palm oil instead of slaves. That is a lie, it was the British that suggested that to them. The main character, based on a real person, never... never ever questioned their slaving practices. There was a faction that did, but that faction was not the Agojie who were fighting.

Internally, the pressure resulted in a number of changes. Ghezo rejected British requests for ending the slave trade, but at the same time began expanded significantly the palm oil trade as an economic alternative. Politically, the debate became centred around two political factions: the Elephant and the Fly. The Elephant, connected with Ghezo, high-profile political leaders, and the creole slave traders like the family of De Sousa, pushed for continued activity in the slave trade and resistance to British pressure. The Fly faction, in contrast, was a loose collection of palm oil producers and some chieftains, which supported accommodation with Abeokuta and the British in order to expand palm oil trade. At the policy and war debates held at the Annual Customs these two factions held a number of tense discussions about the future of the Kingdom of Dahomey.
In 1851-1852, the British imposed a naval blockade on the ports of Dahomey in order to force them to end the slave trade. In January 1852, Ghezo accepted a treaty with the British ending the export of slaves from Dahomey. In the same year and the following one, Ghezo suspended large-scale military campaigns and human sacrifice in the kingdom. However political pressure contributed to the resumption of slave trading and large scale military action in 1857 and 1858. Ghezo was assassinated by a sniper associated with Abeokuta and large scale warfare between the two states resumed in 1864. This one ended again in the favor of Abeokuta and the result was that the slave trade could not be significantly reestablished to its 1850 level. The power of slave traders in the empire decreased and the palm oil trade became a more significant part of the economy.

Last edited:

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
How about you do what that brother stated and correct what other organizations like NPR and the Slate has said about the misrepresentation being done in the movie. You seem to be so intent on going in circles over this, when you can prove us wrong by actually stating what happened behind a spoiler.

Check out what I wrote in the other threads. Or you can just read a history book.

Post in thread 'The Woman King debuts at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes'

invalid

Banned
Daps
How about you do what that brother stated and correct what other organizations like NPR

The article that you posted the other day from NPR was not even accurate. Stop citing them.

I didn't even feel like responding back in that other thread, you all are exhausting like whiney ass children.