The Woman King is one of the best movies I ever watched, controversy be damned

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
No, I never said there weren't though. Was it being depicted differently somewhere? I guess for me I feel differently about seeing it because I don't expect Hollywood productions to give true historical context in regards to slavery. I look at it like for the people who have no idea about all of the history behind it(which is way more than people that do) something like this can be good because it can lead to them going and researching and learning more about the history.

:gucci: fukk THEIR HISTORY.
THESE c00nS SOLD MY ANCESTORS
INTO SLAVERY.
:devil:
:evil:

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
The article that you posted the other day from NPR was not even accurate. Stop citing them.

I didn't even feel like responding back in that other thread, you all are exhausting like whiney ass children.
How was it not accurate? Post a spoiler proving that the movie did not misrepresent the truth. I've read other reviews, and they sure did point out that the movie misrepresented the truth.

BarackStar

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
detroit
406-F22-D9-897-A-45-E7-AC1-B-31-D0893579-BD.jpg

yeah yeah

pretends-to-be-shocked-surprised.gif

Daps
Reppin
Seattle/Tacoma

:gucci: fukk THEIR HISTORY.
THESE c00nS SOLD MY ANCESTORS
INTO SLAVERY.
:devil:
:evil:

I'm talking about the overall history of the slave trade and the different groups selling each other into slavery. Like I said as AAs that is a part of our collective history also. I get why some wouldn't want to see it. I originally just answered a post where someone who didn't see the movie was stating what they deemed facts about how the movie depicted everything about the slave trade when...they didn't see the movie. I never said I had a problem with people not seeing it.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
I'm talking about the overall history of the slave trade and the different groups selling each other into slavery. Like I said as AAs that is a part of our collective history also. I get why some wouldn't want to see it. I originally just answered a post where someone who didn't see the movie was stating what they deemed facts about how the movie depicted everything about the slave trade when...they didn't see the movie. I never said I had a problem with people not seeing it.
So spoiler how it is depicted so those of us who will not see the movie can see if what is being reported about the movie is the truth? Why is that request being avoided by you?

BarackStar

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
detroit
The movie actually covers that though. Don't want to say too much but I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

the Movie lies and tells you they had a change of heart. They did not and continued sneaking slaves even after the eurocacs had even outlawed it and tried to stop them for decades. These people were animals the worst of the worst on the continent

you bytch ass nikkas want people who are the offspring of the people these mutants enslaved to go get some popcorn and cheer as these demons are memorialized. Your mother’s should be spit on and smacked.

7-C35-E2-A9-4167-4465-B411-EE446-C83-B1-B5.jpg

C31-A7-BDF-3-A68-4-D36-BD24-2-D28-CF540125.jpg

D0094968-7-DFB-49-DD-A45-A-A1-C3-B9-B06364.jpg

Daps
Reppin
Seattle/Tacoma
So spoiler how it is depicted so those of us who will not see the movie can see if what is being reported about the movie is the truth? Why is that request being avoided by you?
No thanks to you I figured out how to spoiler. I asked you in a post and even sent @CHICAGO a private message asking.

so in the movie they make it clear that the Dahomey main source of wealth is the slave trade. They talk about how they sale captives and even their own people. They dont necessarily show them actively engaging but it is made clear throughout the dialogue. Only 1 person really makes the push to get away from the slave trade(IN THE MOVIE) not everybody is on board with that. That isn't the real focus of the movie. It is mostly about them getting from under the Oyo

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
Here are some websites demonstrating that the movie is a misrepresentation of the actual history.

The film crosses the line from reasonable fiction into cynical distortion of history when Nanisca addresses the kingdom on the eve of an important counterattack. Prominently featured in teasers for the movie, her speech links Oyo’s oppression of Dahomey to the suffering of the enslaved in the Middle Passage:

The Woman King portrays the Agojie as liberators. In the film, the Mahi, a people established north of Abomey and allied with the Kingdom of Oyo, are seeking to capture Dahomey’s subjects, to sell them into slavery. But the reality was quite different. The more powerful Dahomean army was often the one that attacked the Mahi. King Gezo and his predecessors led several incursions against the Mahi during the 18th and 19th centuries.

Did the Kingdom of Dahomey participate in slavery and slave trading?
In answering the question, "How accurate is The Woman King?" we learned that in real life, the Dahomey are much more the villains than the heroes. The Kingdom of Dahomey was a bloodthirsty society bent on conquest. It was customary for the Dahomey to return home with the rotting heads and genitals of those they killed in battle. They conquered neighboring African states and took their citizens as slaves, selling many in the Atlantic slave trade in exchange for items like rifles, tobacco, and alcohol. Many of the slaves they sold ended up in America. They also kept some slaves for themselves to work on royal plantations. The business of slavery is what brought Dahomey most of its wealth. For them, it very much came down to either enslave others or become enslaved yourself.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
No thanks to you I figured out how to spoiler. I asked you in a post and even sent @CHICAGO a private message asking.

so in the movie they make it clear that the Dahomey main source of wealth is the slave trade. They talk about how they sale captives and even their own people. They dont necessarily show them actively engaging but it is made clear throughout the dialogue. Only 1 person really makes the push to get away from the slave trade(IN THE MOVIE) not everybody is on board with that. That isn't the real focus of the movie. It is mostly about them getting from under the Oyo
That one person you mentioned is the person I said it was, right? The female General played by Viola Davis. Which I said was the misrepresentation of the truth.