The Woman King is one of the best movies I ever watched, controversy be damned

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No. No there is no movie like that. Cause they respect themselves and wouldn’t support that shyt. Not only that but they’d then put the JDL on their ass and raise hell. That shyt wouldn’t even get greenlit

Be serious. That’s why you gotta guess there is one but we clearly have one here. Other people don’t do this to themselves. Hell racist ass QT knew to only change his wwII movie to kill Hitler. Not prop him up as having a moment of clarity

I don’t know if it’s just about respecting themselves. They have the means to control their image and they do so because there is a cohesive understanding and agreement to do so. We don’t control the same amount of means and even the little that we do we prefer to focus on the same tried and true, low hanging fruit. Every time. Even when we are in positions to make new and support innovative things we don’t show up. Many didn’t show up for this film, yet demand we do something different. This movie is that very thing and can compete with some of the best films out there and many would rather tear it down instead of celebrating it for what it was, which is a really great film.

This is a damn if you do and damned if you don’t situation and that’s the lack of nuance I’m seeing when it comes to this film. Half of the people here are saying I don’t want to watch the movie because the Dahomeys were responsible for participating a heavy degree in the slave trade. So my question is do you make a movie about the Dahomeys or do you not? They address the slave trade in the film and although told from fictionalized characters they admit it was wrong and try to change course. People don’t want that, they’d rather focus solely on the Dahomeys participation. Okay, then what do you want? So if the movie didn’t bring this up, the same people would be up in arms because the movie never addressed their role. Dammed if you do, damned if you don’t.

The issue in my opinion isn’t that they participated, it’s that you are looking at a film told about a group from 200 something odd years ago and wanting to condemn them like it means something today. Because if your issue is with what they’ve done, the movie tries to address that even though they themselves aren’t alive to address it. So who are y’all mad at? The Dahomeys or the people making the movie? And would you not have a movie about The Dahomeys never being made? Again, how many people would know about them if not for this movie bringing awareness to them.

I’m not even going to go into the Ados vs non Ados sentiment driving some of the discontentment about this movie. But it’s sinisterly hiding in some of y’all comments.

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
So it's basically a Fantasy Film
No it’s not. The movie depicts a battle between two tribes that really happened
I don’t know if it’s just about respecting themselves. They have the means to control their image and they do so because there is a cohesive understanding and agreement to do so. We don’t control the same amount of means and even the little that we do we prefer to focus on the same tried and true, low hanging fruit. Every time. Even when we are in positions to make new and support innovative things we don’t show up. Many didn’t show up for this film, yet demand we do something different. This movie is that very thing and can compete with some of the best films out there and many would rather tear it down instead of celebrating it for what it was, which is a really great film.

This is a damn if you do and damned if you don’t situation and that’s the lack of nuance I’m seeing when it comes to this film. Half of the people here are saying I don’t want to watch the movie because the Dahomeys were responsible for participating a heavy degree in the slave trade. So my question is do you make a movie about the Dahomeys or do you not? They address the slave trade in the film and although told from fictionalized characters they admit it was wrong and try to change course. People don’t want that, they’d rather focus solely on the Dahomeys participation. Okay, then what do you want? So if the movie didn’t bring this up, the same people would be up in arms because the movie never addressed their role. Dammed if you do, damned if you don’t.

The issue in my opinion isn’t that they participated, it’s that you are looking at a film told about a group from 200 something odd years ago and wanting to condemn them like it means something today. Because if your issue is with what they’ve done, the movie tries to address that even though they themselves aren’t alive to address it. So who are y’all mad at? The Dahomeys or the people making the movie? And would you not have a movie about The Dahomeys never being made? Again, how many people would know about them if not for this movie bringing awareness to them.

I’m not even going to go into the Ados vs non Ados sentiment driving some of the discontentment about this movie. But it’s sinisterly hiding in some of y’all comments.

They’re mad at made up narratives about the movie. These nikkas think the movie is showing the Agojie fighting to end slavery while making black men look like weak fakkits while they act like bedwenches. Literally an entire made up fallacy. Then they wanna compare it to the Hitler regime which is beyond ridiculous and lazy as hell. These dudes act fake militant by following cac propaganda. Whatever they’re concerned about the movie addresses it head on and makes no excuses for it. Nothing is being glorified except the warriors fighting to protect their tribe from the Oyos which really happened. They also don’t wanna face the fact whatever tribe their lineage traces too most likely had both slave traders and slaves.

These are the times we’re living in….Twitter propaganda and people who don’t leave their basement perpetuating it.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven

It’s really not this complicated family. To you and everyone else. It’s truly not

Do the film and tell the real story or don’t. Period. Treat it like any other genocide story. Let’s take a movie like Pocahontas. Do you think they will EVER do a live movie of that again? Just leaving out the horrific true story? No they wouldn’t and won’t. They tried it in 2019 and got so blasted for it and white washing the story to make John smith a hero, they won’t even dare announce it again. Let alone let it get green lit and come out and ask natives to support it

THAT is the issue. The fact any of this got this far. The fact that not only should we be happy the movie got made, but also perfectly fine with black washing the story to make them heroes. And who are they asking to support? Not the Africans. But the black americans.

We keep rehashing this so I’ll leave it alone. Just wake me up when another group of people allows this shyt AND shyts on their own people for not supporting it

It’s ONLY us. It’s always us. And nah I don’t believe in separation of Africa and Afro Americans. We all black. So it’s not even like I’m beefing with them.

Just tell the damn truth. Don’t show me a tribe that had white people begging them to stop slaving and “address that” with some make believe plot that they’d have hung your black ass for suggesting.

It’s a slap in the face which again, is why other cultures don’t play around like that. But then we the ones letting white people play Egyptians and pretending they discovered america so what’s a little more bullshyt propaganda

Last edited:

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s really not this complicated family. To you and everyone else. It’s truly not

Do the film and tell the real story or don’t. Period. Treat it like any other genocide story. Let’s take a movie like Pocahontas. Do you think they will EVER do a live movie of that again? Just leaving out the horrific true story? No they wouldn’t and won’t. They tried it in 2019 and got so blasted for it and white washing the story to make John smith a hero, they won’t even dare announce it again. Let alone let it get green lit and come out and ask natives to support it

THAT is the issue. The fact any of this got this far. The fact that not only should we be happy the movie got made, but also perfectly fine with black washing the story to make them heroes. And who are they asking to support? Not the Africans. But the black americans.

We keep rehashing this so I’ll leave it alone. Just wake me up when another group of people allows this shyt AND shyts on their own people for not supporting it

It’s ONLY us. It’s always us. And nah I don’t believe in separation of Africa and Afro Americans. We all black. So it’s not even like I’m beefing with them.

Just tell the damn truth. Don’t show me a tribe that had white people begging them to stop slaving and “address that” with some make believe plot that they’d have hung your black ass for suggesting.

It’s a slap in the face which again, is why other cultures don’t play around like that. But then we the ones letting white people play Egyptians and pretending they discovered america so what’s a little more bullshyt propaganda
Fam, I’m not disputing the fictionality of it. What I’m stating is that the same people, not going to lump you in with them, are conflating two different points. There are some saying they don’t want to support the movie because the Dahomeys participated in the slave trade and others saying they don’t to support because of the made up the aspect of the Dahomeys wanting to stop participating. I understand the former but not the latter. I feel these same people wouldn’t support an accurate depiction because they would simply default to the Dahomeys participated in the slave trade. So even if they made a true to form story, many here still wouldn’t support.

12 years a slave made 50 something million when it came out. This movie only made 19 million so far and slavery was not the main selling point of this film. We got something different made and we still found issues not to show support. My ultimate problem is I think people would feel differently if they sat and watch the film. Not that the truth would be easier to swallow but it’s crazy to me that so many are willing to swear by their opinions on something they did not watch. I knew about the controversy going into the film and it did not make me think the film was less excellent.

We get different stuff and we don’t support because it’s not the way a few of us want it to be. I find it weird that this is the movie that people want to put the morality test to question and draw the line.

Does that make sense? I get it some people on here just like to argue. They on some other type of time. I just thinking we are exchanging opinions and trying to learn. I’m a writer so I want to be write stuff for us and it’s important to understand varying points of views and nuances. That’s the only reason I’m going back and forth with people in here on this topic.

QBN

All Star
Daps
There’s an 8/10 bootleg copy on solarmovie for debate purposes.

I can't watch bootlegs, but much respect. The movie will hit streaming probably in Dec/Jan and that's when the HD copies will leak.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
I have a question that I have contemplated a bit concerning this whole thing. Why do some of you feel that we African Americans who do not support this movie are wrong and in fact should support this movie? Why do you feel so strongly about this issue, that really when it comes down to it is a personal decision for each person? The opposite can be asked of those who feel it is important to dissuade others from seeing it, since that too is a personal decision of the person who chooses to support the movie.

I know I have given multiple times why I refuse to watch it, but also stated that I do not seek to stop other people from going to see it. So what I want to know is why do some feel so strongly about this, that they are willing to outright insult people for not supporting this movie?

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have a question that I have contemplated a bit concerning this whole thing. Why do some of you feel that we African Americans who do not support this movie are wrong and in fact should support this movie? Why do you feel so strongly about this issue, that really when it comes down to it is a personal decision for each person? The opposite can be asked of those who feel it is important to dissuade others from seeing it, since that too is a personal decision of the person who chooses to support the movie.

I know I have given multiple times why I refuse to watch it, but also stated that I do not seek to stop other people from going to see it. So what I want to know is why do some feel so strongly about this, that they are willing to outright insult people for not supporting this movie?
I think it’s because this is the first time in a long time a movie with a majority black cast with a black director has caused this level of a split with the potential audience it was intended for. It may just be my bias but It’s not that some of us are mad that y’all don’t want to see it. I am to degree bc I think it’s a good film aside from the controversy. Some of us are like at least see it before you start trashing it because then these opinions will be more well informed and robust. It’s like saying an album is trash but not listening to it because you don’t like what the artist does outside of the music. Is the album trash or you don’t want to support the album? The two points are being conflated when they are two very different things. So i think this split is playing out in real time in this thread.

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps
No it’s not. The movie depicts a battle between two tribes that really happened

They’re mad at made up narratives about the movie. These nikkas think the movie is showing the Agojie fighting to end slavery while making black men look like weak fakkits while they act like bedwenches. Literally an entire made up fallacy. Then they wanna compare it to the Hitler regime which is beyond ridiculous and lazy as hell. These dudes act fake militant by following cac propaganda. Whatever they’re concerned about the movie addresses it head on and makes no excuses for it. Nothing is being glorified except the warriors fighting to protect their tribe from the Oyos which really happened. They also don’t wanna face the fact whatever tribe their lineage traces too most likely had both slave traders and slaves.

These are the times we’re living in….Twitter propaganda and people who don’t leave their basement perpetuating it.

Yeah they're basically fighting an imaginary movie.

And the core of their complaint seems to be, "Hey we as Black men wanted to be prominently featured in this cool movie about African warriors, and since we weren't we're going to pretend that we hate slavery movies now and want to boycott them." :mjgrin:

Because did they boycott the 2 versions of Underground Railroad? Nope Which they should have since they both showed Black people in a pathetic state doing nothing much but running from whites.

12 years a slave? Nope. Which was even worse since a white guy had to save the protagonist from slavery at the end. :scust:

Django which showed a white man having to guide a Black man on how to do revenge? Nope And in fact because it was a Tarantino film whites were just as prominently featured as Jamie Foxx's character. With massive amounts of n word usage.

Did they promote Birth of a Nation which they should have since they hate slavery movies? Nope. They let Black women rip Nate Parker and the film apart and did little to assist him or the film. :jbhmm:

So they don't hate Slavery movies they just hate not being prominently featured as heroes in them and they seem to hate maybe Black women getting attention instead of them.

And the "individual behind the boycott, Antonio" was accused of telling Black people not to vote for Democrats, much like Tariq because he wants reparations which in the US is like asking for a free mansion as it has the same probability of happening. :mjlol:

So he and others aren't serious.

So if he is pro-Black what is he doing for the Black community? Apparently nothing much. But he can definitely organize a boycott on twitter.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
St louis
Dopest shyt ive seen in ages.
some of you incel fakkits
need to consider suicide.
UKVu0t8.gif

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
If you like the movie cool and I don't doubt it's well done. But I won't be supporting and thats ok too. This movie wasn't made for me.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Fam, I’m not disputing the fictionality of it. What I’m stating is that the same people, not going to lump you in with them, are conflating two different points. There are some saying they don’t want to support the movie because the Dahomeys participated in the slave trade and others saying they don’t to support because of the made up the aspect of the Dahomeys wanting to stop participating. I understand the former but not the latter. I feel these same people wouldn’t support an accurate depiction because they would simply default to the Dahomeys participated in the slave trade. So even if they made a true to form story, many here still wouldn’t support.

12 years a slave made 50 something million when it came out. This movie only made 19 million so far and slavery was not the main selling point of this film. We got something different made and we still found issues not to show support. My ultimate problem is I think people would feel differently if they sat and watch the film. Not that the truth would be easier to swallow but it’s crazy to me that so many are willing to swear by their opinions on something they did not watch. I knew about the controversy going into the film and it did not make me think the film was less excellent.

We get different stuff and we don’t support because it’s not the way a few of us want it to be. I find it weird that this is the movie that people want to put the morality test to question and draw the line.

Does that make sense? I get it some people on here just like to argue. They on some other type of time. I just thinking we are exchanging opinions and trying to learn. I’m a writer so I want to be write stuff for us and it’s important to understand varying points of views and nuances. That’s the only reason I’m going back and forth with people in here on this topic.
You can’t focus on those flim flamy type of people. I got what you’re picking up.

Me, I love period pieces. Love them. Show me the real. Show me how it really was. Enlighten me. If you’re gonna fake it, at least give me some words on the screen at the end “what actually happened was…..”. Something.

They have been telling us we sold ourselves into slavery since I learned about it in elementary school. I’d love to see a real movie about how it began, why they did it, why they didn’t stop and what became of them for their actions.

Instead we get not only a make believe story. But a heroism story. My tribe, their tribe who cares. It happened. There’s poetic license and then there’s pulling shyt out your ass. Know damn well we bout to see these Dahomey shirts and costumes and bytches talking bout yea Mahomey gang and can we get a sequel and an Oscar and other stupid shyt.

It’s like mumble rap. Yea I get it has his place and people are gonna like it. But where’s the balance? After this movie, does anyone believe we’ll get the real thing? Ever? Or more Hollywood fantasy.

But it’s beating a dead horse at this point. I do see your point. And I’m not a back and forth person. I’d have just liked to see the real story told and get something original

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Yeah they're basically fighting an imaginary movie.

And the core of their complaint seems to be, "Hey we as Black men wanted to be prominently featured in this cool movie about African warriors, and since we weren't we're going to pretend that we hate slavery movies now and want to boycott them." :mjgrin:

Because did they boycott the 2 versions of Underground Railroad? Nope Which they should have since they both showed Black people in a pathetic state doing nothing much but running from whites.

12 years a slave? Nope. Which was even worse since a white guy had to save the protagonist from slavery at the end. :scust:

Django which showed a white man having to guide a Black man on how to do revenge? Nope And in fact because it was a Tarantino film whites were just as prominently featured as Jamie Foxx's character. With massive amounts of n word usage.

Did they promote Birth of a Nation which they should have since they hate slavery movies? Nope. They let Black women rip Nate Parker and the film apart and did little to assist him or the film. :jbhmm:

So they don't hate Slavery movies they just hate not being prominently featured as heroes in them and they seem to hate maybe Black women getting attention instead of them.

And the "individual behind the boycott, Antonio" was accused of telling Black people not to vote for Democrats, much like Tariq because he wants reparations which in the US is like asking for a free mansion as it has the same probability of happening. :mjlol:

So he and others aren't serious.

So if he is pro-Black what is he doing for the Black community? Apparently nothing much. But he can definitely organize a boycott on twitter.
Or or or…. Maybe they just wanted to see the real story in totality and not the white washed version

I’m not sure anybody was making any of the points you named. Not a single one