The Wire: Randy Is The New Marlo

KingMalik

All Star
Daps
Randy isn't Prop Joe. People have to retire this theory. Remember Prop Joe's flashback when he was a kid? He was a happy go lucky kid with a hustler mentality. He was even like that til his death. Prop Joe, while a drug kingpin, was about tact. Randy in Season 5 was a killer in the making. Two different characters. And you're buggin if you think Randy won't turn into a killer after that shyt he probably went through in the group home.

People say he's the next Bodie, which I find to be inaccurate as well. Randy was 100x smarter than Bodie.

Randy isn't Marlo. I can use your same logic against you. I doubt Marlo was ever sweet and soft as a child :heh: Randy grows up to be a big time hustler no doubt but, cold hearted murderer who kills security guards for fun......nah. That's Kenard all the way. You might be able to get away with saying Randy grows up to be the new Avon. Because Avon was a gangsta too but, he was more about making money and running his corners than killing people just to kill people. That's not Randy's MO. Marlo was different than the other dealers. They were all drug dealers who killed from time to time. Marlo was a murderer who sold drugs. That screams to me Kenard.

Daps
Never heard either of their last names.

Yeah, its one of those things you catch after watching the series multiple times.

The show's creator David Simon said in an interview that they had to cut a few storylines out of Season 5 because HBO only gave them 10 episodes when they thought they were gonna get 13. The Wagstaff storyline was one that got cut.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How you figure that? I figure he was probably about 24 or 25 maybe. He was the new kid on the block as far as the drug game went. Up and coming I mean, kicking his foot in the door. Plus, his crew was a bit young too. shyt, he literally recruited a kid to be one of his assassins.

Coincidentally enough tho Jamie Hector, the actor that played Marlo, was about 27-28 at the time of his introduction into the show. However, you know how it goes in hollywood. Most actors about that age are usually playing roles up to 10 years younger than that. I know he was as young as a high school kid on there, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't that old.
Watch the episode in season 3 where Kima, McNulty etc are looking up Marlo

His birthdate on the computer had him at 22-23, which means he was 26-27 by the end of season 5

EDIT

And if I'm not mistaken (it's been a while, I might be dead wrong) I think Kima said he was 22 while they were looking him up.

Last edited:

cornercommission2k12

so this were u dudes went
Daps
Reppin
300 murders a year
I was kinda shocked that bodie got killed because I always thought him and poot were the next up to take over.

But slim Charles was the next marlo. Except he was going to run it more like barksdale did. Slim was the equilibrium of stringer/avon and chris/marlo. He would likely be the lone king pen with the spirit of them all if the show continued on.

cornercommission2k12

Daps
Reppin
300 murders a year
The 1 flaw I have for the wire is that the progression from avg street kid to king pen was never explored or shown.

Season 1, avon is already top dawg and from season 3 marlo goes from a few corners to by season 4 he runs the entire west side. I would have loved to see what it took to get it all.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Watch the episode in season 3 where Kima, McNulty etc are looking up Marlo

His birthdate on the computer had him at 22-23, which means he was 26-27 by the end of season 5

EDIT

And if I'm not mistaken (it's been a while, I might be dead wrong) I think Kima said he was 22 while they were looking him up.

Marlo was definitely meant to be early 20's(20-23) when he first showed up. Stringer and Avon were always referring to him as "the boy". His whole story was also new kid on the block who's up and coming and he was clearly inexperienced in certain areas compared to the likes of Joe, Stringer and Avon. His crew were small time in season 3.

Daps
Season 1, avon is already top dawg and from season 3 marlo goes from a few corners to by season 4 he runs the entire west side. I would have loved to see what it took to get it all.
Got the impression Avon was never just an "average street kid"
Dude was born in the game with his pops being "Butch Stanford". You remember the look Pearlman and Mcnulty gave D'angelo when he told him who his grandfather was. Plus with his brothers/uncles, looked it like Avon was pretty much bred by his family to be a major player on the west side

cornercommission2k12

Daps
Reppin
300 murders a year
Got the impression Avon was never just an "average street kid"
Dude was born in the game with his pops being "Butch Stanford". You remember the look Pearlman and Mcnulty gave D'angelo when he told him who his grandfather was. Plus with his brothers/uncles, looked it like Avon was pretty much bred by his family to be a major player on the west side
Yea but the show always alluded to avon and stringer having to go to complete war to get the towers. If avon was born into royalty like that, then he not waring for territory as they alluded to many times in the show. Unless it was someone bigger than his family.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The 1 flaw I have for the wire is that the progression from avg street kid to king pen was never explored or shown.

They showed you with Marlo

He had shyt dope but he had enough goons to punk everybody :manny:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Hmmm...something to think about perhaps. Though I thought the kid that killed Omar would probably be the one that becomes Marlo. I say this cuz he got his first kill at such a young age and it was someone that was very notably feared and heavy in the streets, so I'm sure his rep got huge off of that. Remember, when they were going over Marlo's former raps, the cops were astonished with what he'd already done, despite none of them actually revealing anything of what he did. That's probably cuz he did some heavy shyt when he was really young too.

Also, you said Marlo was in his late 20's. I don't think so. I think he was very much into his early 20's.

Cheese was his father?!:dahell: When did that get revealed?
cheese is randy's dad... they both have the same last name

david chase said he wanted to go farther into that, but hbo cut him off

i really wonder how much deeper shyt would have got if they let chase do whatever he wanted on the last season

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps

Always felt that they gave him the westside far too easily. It was given not earned. Should have been at war with splinter groups because of the vacuum caused by the Barksdale family dissolving. He was small time in season 3 and just an over ambitious boy who over stepped his boundaries. Even the Barksdales at their weakest were stronger it's just Stringer became incompetent when dealing with the streets after Season 1 and didn't deal with him properly. Then is season 4 he's running the west:upsetfavre: it was jarring. Even worse in season 5 when he suddenly knows that the police are watching him from the roofs, yet a more organised crew back in season 1 were oblivious to it:francis: