The Wire: Randy Is The New Marlo

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
nah marlo had to be at least 28

How you figure that? I figure he was probably about 24 or 25 maybe. He was the new kid on the block as far as the drug game went. Up and coming I mean, kicking his foot in the door. Plus, his crew was a bit young too. shyt, he literally recruited a kid to be one of his assassins.

Coincidentally enough tho Jamie Hector, the actor that played Marlo, was about 27-28 at the time of his introduction into the show. However, you know how it goes in hollywood. Most actors about that age are usually playing roles up to 10 years younger than that. I know he was as young as a high school kid on there, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't that old.

Last edited:

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
How you figure that? I figure he was probably about 24 or 25 maybe. He was the new kid on the block as far as the drug game went. Up and coming I mean, kicking his foot in the door. Plus, his crew was a bit young too. shyt, he literally recruited a kid to be one of his assassins.

Coincidentally enough tho Jamie Hector, the actor that played Marlo, was about 27-28 at the time of his introduction into the show. However, you know how it goes in hollywood. Most actors about that age are usually playing roles up to 10 years younger than that. I know he was as young as a high school kid on there, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't that old.

28 is pretty young as well. Dude had to been in the game of course for minute to get the power and muscle he had obtain before trying to take over the barksdale organization.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Nah. Randy was a hustler and IMO was just shapened up to be a soilder. Sort of link Monk or Cheese(his dad)

But The thing is Randy was never involved in the drug game at any point during the series, so its hard for me to say he becomes a kingpin, seeing as how most kingpins start out dealing drugs at a very young age. Randy was a kind hearted kid who was "hardened". Marlo was a straight up psycopath, you know, the type of person thats BORN crazy. This is the same dude that had a guy and his whole family(including kids) killed over a rumor :huhldup:

Monsters aren't born, they're created. Some of the craziest most savage nikkas known to man were once kindhearted folks who left their innocence behind to succeed in the world. Some got the innocence beat out of them. Marlo probably got beat up numerous times as a kid. As a kid in that type of environment, your respect is all you have, and one will do anything to protect that. No one knows that more than Randy

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Nah. Randy was a hustler and IMO was just shapened up to be a soilder. Sort of link Monk or Cheese(his dad)

But The thing is Randy was never involved in the drug game at any point during the series, so its hard for me to say he becomes a kingpin, seeing as how most kingpins start out dealing drugs at a very young age. Randy was a kind hearted kid who was "hardened". Marlo was a straight up psycopath, you know, the type of person thats BORN crazy. This is the same dude that had a guy and his whole family(including kids) killed over a rumor :huhldup:

monk and cheese? come on. monk was a flunkie/follower with no type of real smarts. cheese was a sloppy disloyal clown. neither of these characters even fit Randy

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Monsters aren't born, they're created. Some of the craziest most savage nikkas known to man were once kindhearted folks who left their innocence behind to succeed in the world. Some got the innocence beat out of them. Marlo probably got beat up numerous times as a kid. As a kid in that type of environment, your respect is all you have, and one will do anything to protect that. No one knows that more than Randy

Makes sense how for example he murdered dudes whole family over some shyt that probably wasnt even true. To protect his name in the streets.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
monk and cheese? come on. monk was a flunkie/follower with no type of real smarts. cheese was a sloppy disloyal clown. neither of these characters even fit Randy

Marlo more than likely would of killed that nikka eventually anyway. Cheese proved how unloyal his ass was.

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
But theres still not enough to convince me that Randy was going to be a drug kinpin.
He was damn near grown in his final scene, yet was still broke in a group home with no name for himself.
Im pretty sure that by the time Marlo(as well as stringer, Avon etc..) they were already making a name for themselves, and probably had a body already.
My point being, REALISTICALLY, you dont jump into the drug game one deep in your 20s and take shyt over.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
I wish nikkas would stop pushing this black/white one dimensional theory that some nikkas came out their mothers wombs as savage nikkas. that nerdy nikka that you're slapping and clowning on the playground is easily capable of becoming a 50 Cent/Marlo Stanfield/Jimmy a Henchmen/Suge Knight. Push him hard enough and he'll realize that you can't be a kind pushover in a land of wolves and that intelligence that you're calling him a nerd for having he'll use for bad and you'll see a monster you've never witnessed before.

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Combo of both.

Monk was just as cold hearted as Marlo, and Cheese was a grimey hustling ass nikka, plus his dad.
I dont think its a reach. I just cant imagine Randy having his own drug crew under him, let alone all of West Bmore.

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
I wish nikkas would stop pushing this black/white one dimensional theory that some nikkas came out their mothers wombs as savage nikkas. that nerdy nikka that you're slapping and clowning on the playground is easily capable of becoming a 50 Cent/Marlo Stanfield/Jimmy a Henchmen/Suge Knight. Push him hard enough and he'll realize that you can't be a kind pushover in a land of wolves and that intelligence that you're calling him a nerd for having he'll use for bad and you'll see a monster you've never witnessed before.
Theres pscycopaths and theirs sociopaths. You're describing the latter. That still doesn't mean that there aren't people who are born crazy.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Marlo more than likely would of killed that nikka eventually anyway. Cheese proved how unloyal his ass was.

Marlo definitely would have had killed Cheese eventually if the cops never took down his organization. He didn't even use respect that nikka. Marlo used Cheese as a pawn to destroy Prop Joe. Marlo did respect Slim Charles though. Because Slim Charles didn't kiss his ass. they were cordial, yes, but Slim wasn't flexing to stay on his good side, much like how Cheese and Prop Joe were doing.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Theres pscycopaths and theirs sociopaths. You're describing the latter. That still doesn't mean that there aren't people who are born crazy.

You're 100% correct there. But Marlo wasn't a psychopath. At least I don't think he was. He was just a sociopath that was created by his environment. Him having Junebug's family killed and the delivery lady killed was what makes people think he was a psycho, but I think that was more of him flexing his ego and power on the streets more than anything , which alludes to his inner insecurity. Those are the only two things he did that I couldn't condone. Everything else was apart of the game.

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
You're 100% correct there. But Marlo wasn't a psychopath. At least I don't think he was. He was just a sociopath that was created by his environment. Him having Junebug's family killed and the delivery lady killed was what makes people think he was a psycho, but I think that was more of him flexing his ego and power on the streets more than anything , which alludes to his inner insecurity. Those are the only two things he did that I couldn't condone. Everything else was apart of the game.
I think it's possible to be both. In the hood alot of people never want to admit that some people, maybe, just may have been born crazy. Its form of mental illness, which is shrug under the rug in the hood. When I think of a sociopath/product of their environment, Im thinking guys like Weebay, Omar, Snoop etc..
To me Marlo was a born psychopath who just so happened to come up in an environment where his mental illness could yield him power, IE being cold blooded and ruthless. These guys are psychopaths, guys like Marlo, Monster Kody, Wayne Perry etc.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
I think it's possible to be both. In the hood alot of people never want to admit that some people, maybe, just may have been born crazy. Its form of mental illness, which is shrug under the rug in the hood. When I think of a sociopath/product of their environment, Im thinking guys like Weebay, Omar, Snoop etc..
To me Marlo was a born psychopath who just so happened to come up in an environment where his mental illness could yield him power, IE being cold blooded and ruthless. These guys are psychopaths, guys like Marlo, Monster Kody, Wayne Perry etc.

It's a thin line honestly. You do have a point though, I will say that. Because as ruthless Marlo was, he was a terrible kingpin due to his unwillingness to ultra ruthless acts of what he calls "power". Him having that distorted view of power does allude to him maybe being a psychopath, because any real boss will look down at Marlo, not look up to him, like many of The Wire's young black viewers do. Real bosses do not have people killed for trivial reasons, nor do they raise their voice when their masculinity/pride is challenged (Marlo getting mad at finding out Omar called him out), or stealing a lollipop from a store just to get a security guard to react, then have him killed when he does. Son definitely had some issues. Chris was a little more level headed, but equally as much of a sociopath.

Funny you bring up Wayne Perry because Chris Partlow was probably based off him.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Makes sense how for example he murdered dudes whole family over some shyt that probably wasnt even true. To protect his name in the streets.

that shyt scene was one of the most disturbing/ruthless deeds ever portrayed on TV...but I understand where Marlo was coming from. As bad as that may sound. On the other hand, that was too far, and showed the first chink in Marlo's armor.

when Michael saw the little kid run out the house, that was the moment he knew he made a huge mistake by joining the Stanfield crew