The Wire: Randy Is The New Marlo

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's probably not that far off than Kanan's, with the exception that Marlo likely grew up in a group home.
That’s a HUGE difference from Kanan’s upbringing though lol. Kanan grew up with a strong family unit even if they were all criminals.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
That’s a HUGE difference from Kanan’s upbringing though lol. Kanan grew up with a strong family unit even if they were all criminals.
Actually, I rethought what I had posted, but let it ride anyway.

melraH

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
UPTOWN
Randy was an innocent, empathetic kid who got swallowed up by the system. In Season 4, once it got around that he was a snitch, violence and despair started to surround him 24/7. In his last scene of Season 4, he gets beat up by some group home kids, after he throws a brave punch. In Season 5 he turned into a hardened teenager with no remorse for anyone. When Bunk tries to interrogate him about Lex's murder, unlike his cooperating nature in Season 4, this time, he sternly is unwilling to even come to terms with the cop. He gives Bunk a look of hate the entire time.

The same exact look Marlo gave Herc when they first met. That scene when Marlo and his goons looked like they were about to beat down him and Carver. Enter Marlo, a sociopathic drug kingpin in his late 20s. Obsessed with the reputation of his name. Because he knows how destructive a tainted reputation can be in the hood. After all, look what happened to Randy, when word got out that he was a snitch. Maybe he learned from that...and made sure the infrastructure of his name was always solid from now on. But to come up from being a former snitch...being beat up by group home kids daily..you probably would have to do something over the top just to get nikkas to respect you again. Something drastic. Possibly evil, cold hearted and/or ruthless. Which explains Marlo's character.

officer Walker took $200 from Randy. Marlo takes herc's $4000 camera.

Randy was the only one who was semi interested in Dukie's misadventures with the pigeons when everyone else was clowning Dukie (season 4 episode 1). Marlo owns a pigeon coup.

Marlo's character strongly suggests he grew up an orphan or group home. Randy was in a group home.

Randy always low key had heart. Unlike Namond who was a complete bytch. When Namond was about to go to baby booking for ONE night, he begged Carver to let him just sleep in the police station instead. Randy was about to get sent to a violent group home for 4 years, but did not once beg carver to help him out of the situation. He took it like a man, pat carver on the back, and told him "you tried".

That little bit of heart Randy showed, not only made Carver feel terrible, but was a early sneak peek of Randy taking his destiny like a man, instead of trying to coward his way out like Namond did.

Which eventually was what toughened Randy up. Maybe a little too much.

If you felt sorry for Randy, but hated Marlo....take a moment
:ohhh:

The goat show always delivers shiiiiiiieeeeeeet might be time for my annual rewatch.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Randy had no killer like qualities
He was angry like Bodie
The only smartness he displayed was hustling
I feel you, but I don’t think Bodie was good at hustling either. He really just followed the leader.

Randy had way more ingenuity. I’m not saying he ends up like Avon, but that’s more of his mindset than Marlo.

Thinking more about it though, he probably is a sort of Stringer type.