The Wire: Randy Is The New Marlo

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
that shyt scene was one of the most disturbing/ruthless deeds ever portrayed on TV...but I understand where Marlo was coming from. As bad as that may sound. On the other hand, that was too far, and showed the first chink in Marlo's armor.

when Michael saw the little kid run out the house, that was the moment he knew he made a huge mistake by joining the Stanfield crew

yea that scene was very disturbing, marlo was the type of cat that will kill you because you aint dap him up in the streets

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Randy was an innocent, empathetic kid who got swallowed up by the system. In Season 4, once it got around that he was a snitch, violence and despair started to surround him 24/7. In his last scene of Season 4, he gets beat up by some group home kids, after he throws a brave punch. In Season 5 he turned into a hardened teenager with no remorse for anyone. When Bunk tries to interrogate him about Lex's murder, unlike his cooperating nature in Season 4, this time, he sternly is unwilling to even come to terms with the cop. He gives Bunk a look of hate the entire time.

The same exact look Marlo gave Herc when they first met. That scene when Marlo and his goons looked like they were about to beat down him and Carver. Enter Marlo, a sociopathic drug kingpin in his late 20s. Obsessed with the reputation of his name. Because he knows how destructive a tainted reputation can be in the hood. After all, look what happened to Randy, when word got out that he was a snitch. Maybe he learned from that...and made sure the infrastructure of his name was always solid from now on. But to come up from being a former snitch...being beat up by group home kids daily..you probably would have to do something over the top just to get nikkas to respect you again. Something drastic. Possibly evil, cold hearted and/or ruthless. Which explains Marlo's character.

officer Walker took $200 from Randy. Marlo takes herc's $4000 camera.

Randy was the only one who was semi interested in Dukie's misadventures with the pigeons when everyone else was clowning Dukie (season 4 episode 1). Marlo owns a pigeon coup.

Marlo's character strongly suggests he grew up an orphan or group home. Randy was in a group home.

Randy always low key had heart. Unlike Namond who was a complete bytch. When Namond was about to go to baby booking for ONE night, he begged Carver to let him just sleep in the police station instead. Randy was about to get sent to a violent group home for 4 years, but did not once beg carver to help him out of the situation. He took it like a man, pat carver on the back, and told him "you tried".

That little bit of heart Randy showed, not only made Carver feel terrible, but was a early sneak peek of Randy taking his destiny like a man, instead of trying to coward his way out like Namond did.

Which eventually was what toughened Randy up. Maybe a little too much.

If you felt sorry for Randy, but hated Marlo....take a moment

tumblr_nh95gpGYAc1qivigxo1_500.jpg

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's a thin line honestly. You do have a point though, I will say that. Because as ruthless Marlo was, he was a terrible kingpin due to his unwillingness to ultra ruthless acts of what he calls "power". Him having that distorted view of power does allude to him maybe being a psychopath, because any real boss will look down at Marlo, not look up to him, like many of The Wire's young black viewers do. Real bosses do not have people killed for trivial reasons, nor do they raise their voice when their masculinity/pride is challenged (Marlo getting mad at finding out Omar called him out), or stealing a lollipop from a store just to get a security guard to react, then have him killed when he does. Son definitely had some issues. Chris was a little more level headed, but equally as much of a sociopath.

Funny you bring up Wayne Perry because Chris Partlow was probably based off him.

The story about Wayne Perry aka Silk that I read was just :wow:

Wayne “Silk” Perry

This part right here had me :wow:

There was no limit to the way Silk played either. He didn’t care who you were supposed to be, he was still going to play with you. He would play with you even if you weren’t trying to and if you got serious, he was cool with that too. A lot of times Wayne would try dudes he didn’t like by playing with them. “One time, me, Wayne and two other dudes were in my Benz on the way to the mall. Wayne knew that one of the dudes with us wasn’t who he thought he was in the streets. The dude was supposed to be a killer but Wayne could see through him. Wayne hated fake nikkas. So Wayne starts playing with dude, trying to provoke him. When the dude gets fed up, he told Wayne to stop playing with him. Wayne said, ‘nikka fukk you, I play when I want to and if I wanted to I could fukk you. You’s a bytch, you should be taking that dikk.’ The dude gets heated and tells Wayne can’t no nikka fukk him. Wayne laughed at him and told him, ‘I ain’t no average nikka, I’m Silk and if you keep running your mouth I’m a leave your fake ass in this back seat with a hole in your head.’ I tried to tell the dude to leave the shyt alone because I saw where it was going, Wayne was going to end up smokin’ the nikka. The dude wouldn’t let it go, his pride was in it. Wayne ended up telling the dude they could fight if he had something he needed to get off his chest. When we got to the mall Wayne took off his jacket and slapped the shyt out of dude, he tried to make the nikka fight him but the dude wouldn’t fight. Wayne looked at us and said, ‘I told y’all this nikka was a bytch.’ Wayne then pulled out his pistol and makes the dude strip ass naked right in the parking lot, then he shot him in the ass and told him to get the fukk away from us. Everybody was laughing. Wayne exposed the nikka and it was all a big joke to Silk.” A dude from back in the day relates.

link: if anybody wanna read the full story about this dude.
http://www.gorillaconvict.com/2011/10/wayne-silk-perry-2/

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Hmmm...something to think about perhaps. Though I thought the kid that killed Omar would probably be the one that becomes Marlo. I say this cuz he got his first kill at such a young age and it was someone that was very notably feared and heavy in the streets, so I'm sure his rep got huge off of that. Remember, when they were going over Marlo's former raps, the cops were astonished with what he'd already done, despite none of them actually revealing anything of what he did. That's probably cuz he did some heavy shyt when he was really young too.

Also, you said Marlo was in his late 20's. I don't think so. I think he was very much into his early 20's.

Cheese was his father?!:dahell: When did that get revealed?

They both had the same last name, Wagstaff.

Fred.

Pesci

Architect
Daps
Is this not a popular interpretation? I know Dukie becomes Bubbles, and Michael most likely becomes Omar. I don't remember about the rest of the kids

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
I wish nikkas would stop pushing this black/white one dimensional theory that some nikkas came out their mothers wombs as savage nikkas. that nerdy nikka that you're slapping and clowning on the playground is easily capable of becoming a 50 Cent/Marlo Stanfield/Jimmy a Henchmen/Suge Knight. Push him hard enough and he'll realize that you can't be a kind pushover in a land of wolves and that intelligence that you're calling him a nerd for having he'll use for bad and you'll see a monster you've never witnessed before.

This hits close to home :to:

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
also, Marlo tells snoop and chris not to kill Randy. but to just have hoppers around the way to put word out that he's a snitch.

another thing I found interesting. unlike him to even take a chance to leave a potential snitch alive

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
Yeah Wayne Perry was a psychotic sodomite who just happened to be a gangster. Alpo (Rico from Paid In Full) snitching on him in 1991 is what started making DC nikkas hate NY nikkas.

He ran with a crew full of killers and made sure they ate. He was far from an army of one. He was fierce, but if he ran solo he would have been muralized.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
He ran with a crew full of killers and made sure they ate. He was far from an army of one. He was fierce, but if he ran solo he would have been muralized.

of course. many of the killings that people say he did was mainly his people, but it sounds better when people say he did it all himself. domencio, Dominican bk cat, that got shot in a bball court in DC, on the orders of Alpo, wasn't killed by Perry, but one of his hit men.

KingMalik

All Star
Daps
I always said this except you got it a bit wrong

Randy becomes Prop Joe (who is his blood uncle by the way)
Kenard becomes Marlo
Namond becomes Clay Davis
Mike becomes Omar
Dookie becomes Bubbles

Gotta remember Randy aint a sociopathic killer. Kenard is. So how can Randy become Marlo? Randy is about his money. The group home made him hard, but not hard enough to murder people for fun like Marlo. So I got him becoming a new version of Prop Joe. Hard enough to get respect but, more a hustler than a murderer.

KingMalik

All Star
Daps
How you figure that? I figure he was probably about 24 or 25 maybe. He was the new kid on the block as far as the drug game went. Up and coming I mean, kicking his foot in the door. Plus, his crew was a bit young too. shyt, he literally recruited a kid to be one of his assassins.

Coincidentally enough tho Jamie Hector, the actor that played Marlo, was about 27-28 at the time of his introduction into the show. However, you know how it goes in hollywood. Most actors about that age are usually playing roles up to 10 years younger than that. I know he was as young as a high school kid on there, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't that old.

Marlo was 23 in season three

When they pulled up his info on the computer, that was the age listed