The Wheel Of Time - Robert Jordan's Books (Season 2/9.1.23)

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
Yo I'm trying to read this to see what peeps thought of episode 1 and running into MASSIVE spoilers from the book-reading folk. :snoop:

This is the television thread, not the novels thread, why would you do that? :what:

Now from just 2 comments I already know the big Season 1 reveal, who lives and who dies at the end, and a couple major moments. :gucci:

I think months ago I suggested putting "no book spoilers" in the thread title. shyt gonna end up like the GoT threads

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
@KalKal :jbhmm:honestly all the questions you have will get answer as the show go on but think of the dark as the devil more or less like Mephistopheles:demonic: and the whitecloaks as knights templar who the questioners apart of are a fighting against it. :ld:

Thanks. The tricky thing is trying to separate "what did I miss from this episode" from "what is a book spoiler that I'm not supposed to know, but the show is just pushing us until a swimming pool and letting us be confused?"

The idea that there's some kind of cycle that repeats over and over again actually kind of reminds me of the "Mass Effect" universe a little. Except all on one planet and the people seem to be at least somewhat aware of what is going on, in the form of stories. So that part is interesting.

Hope they can improve the monsters, though, The special effects around them are awful.

Made Man

All Star
Daps
After finishing Episode 3, I'm interested enough to keep going.
But I actually find it kind of shocking that this is better received than the live action "Cowboy Bebop". I found it easier to get through 10 episodes of that than 3 episodes of this.

Did I miss when they explained what the deal is with the "questioners"? Or is that something that we just have to wait for them to explain later? It seems they are on the "light side", but killing other people on the light side that have powers? Do they serve some kind of overall Emperor or political system? Don't spoil me if it wasn't said, I just want to understand it I missed anything. (I'm not quite clear on the connections between the various city-states and towns). Also, are the people who follow the "dark side" in hiding? Or is it just generally accepted in this society that some people are on the dark side and some are on the light side and they all in general get along unless there's a war?
The Whitecloaks are a fanatical religious organization . They do not follow a king, but there is a lord commander that leads them . Think of inquisition of Spain in medieval times , but they don’t necessarily link to any nation . They are working on rooting out “dark friends” and is pretty much an army for the “light”. Just like any real world extremest organization they believe their way is best for the greater good. They aren’t inherently evil, but their beliefs have them do fukked up things they believe is justified . They don’t fukk with the Aes Sedai at all, since technically they(the male Aes Sedai) “broke”the world. They pretty much think they are evil. The questioners are a sub organization within the whitecloaks who does the interrogating and torturing . Other whitecloaks fear/respect them . Dark friends are not accepted in society, they run in an Illuminati type secrecy with a bunch of resources .

Edit : The regular whitecloaks are like the Knights Templars and the Questioners are like the inquisition .

Last edited:

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
The books are kinda good(honestly the series probably should have just been 8 books instead of 12/13 but the show is doing the source material a disservice imo
I can honestly say I think amazon made this a flub on purpose
This is just dropping in people blind
Only true GOAT shows can pull that off

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
The Whitecloaks are a fanatical religious organization . They do not follow a king, but there is a lord commander that leads them . Think of inquisition of Spain in medieval times , but they don’t necessarily link to any nation . They are working on rooting out “dark friends” and is pretty much an army for the “light”. Just like any real world extremest organization they believe their way is best for the greater good. They aren’t inherently evil, but their beliefs have them do fukked up things they believe is justified . They don’t fukk with the Aes Sedai at all, since technically they(the male Aes Sedai) “broke”the world. They pretty much think they are evil. The questioners are a sub organization within the whitecloaks who does the interrogating and torturing . Other whitecloaks fear/respect them . Dark friends are not accepted in society, they run in an Illuminati type secrecy with a bunch of resources .

Reminds me of the Templars and Seekers from Dragon Age.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
The books are kinda good(honestly the series probably should have just been 8 books instead of 12/13 but the show is doing the source material a disservice imo
I can honestly say I think amazon made this a flub on purpose
This is just dropping in people blind
Only true GOAT shows can pull that off
To be fair tho, the books did the same thing if you read them in the order they were released. That prequel to the 1st book came out years later.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Just watched the 1st episode, will watch the other 2 this weekend.

The budget may not be CW status, but so far it hasn't blown me away either. Doesn't look better than say Vikings or another fantasy show that dropped this year, Shadow and Bone on Netflix. Doesn't waste time with setting up the main mission, although it was too many camera cuts during the attack at the end.

As someone hasn't read either series and had the exact same expectations going into both, the dialogue/acting/plotting so far in this one is a LOT better than Shadow and Bone. I had to quit Shadow and Bone after a few episodes cause the plot developments were just not up to par. This feels much more professional.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
As someone hasn't read either series and had the exact same expectations going into both, the dialogue/acting/plotting so far in this one is a LOT better than Shadow and Bone. I had to quit Shadow and Bone after a few episodes cause the plot developments were just not up to par. This feels much more professional.

Eh, I disagree. I thought the plotting in Shadow and Bone was better, and I haven't seen anything from the 1st 3 episodes to really suggest the dialogue/acting is a step up. It hasn't been bad, but nothing has really jumped out at me like say the Crows did in Shadow and Bone.

A lot of the plotting has been them fleeing from one threat to the next so far, with standard fantasy lore sprinkled in. I've heard from book fans as the story develops that the series starts to make it's own mark though and plan to continue watching to see how it develops.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
We're only 3 episodes deep but if this is being compared to Shadow and Bone :picard:

I'm not gonna jump the gun like that since I've heard of how deep the books get. :mjgrin: I'm satisfied as long as this shyt isn't Shannara Chronicles tier.

There's no movie or TV that could match the world your imagination creates from reading
That said, I'm in it for the long haul
I'm still chuckling at this nikka having waves doe
They gotta fix lil shyt like that to get on Game of Thrones level

Remember the breh who had a fresh lineup in The Witcher? :russ:

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
I'm not gonna jump the gun like that since I've heard of how deep the books get. :mjgrin: I'm satisfied as long as this shyt isn't Shannara Chronicles tier.

Remember the breh who had a fresh lineup in The Witcher? :russ:
Don't even mention that filth, the executive decisions made in that show were garbage tier. Wasted talent all around because the material had potential.

As far as the 360 Inquisitor, as long as he rushes out of the tents for a midnight attack with a white silk durag, I'll allow it.:ehh: