The Wheel Of Time - Robert Jordan's Books (Season 2/9.1.23)

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:jbhmm:You know what this show remind of a higher budget legend of the seeker it not so bad it almost like throw back to the fantasy tv shows that were make back in the 90s like Hercules or given the amount of girl power going on like xena warrior princess this show is not so bad if you look it like that IMO:manny:

It reminded me of Legend of The Seeker too. I agree with the poster above, Lord of The Rings was able to show a vast world, in a way some of these shows can't for some reason.

I think this feels more like a throwback to a 90s show.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Trying to watch the first episode now, I'm up the village attack. As someone not familiar with the source material, I'm going to have to try to watch this again from the beginning because I can't follow this AT ALL or keep all the characters straight.
So far my impression is not great, but I want to give it another chance before I continue (or give up).

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Trying to watch the first episode now, I'm up the village attack. As someone not familiar with the source material, I'm going to have to try to watch this again from the beginning because I can't follow this AT ALL or keep all the characters straight.
So far my impression is not great, but I want to give it another chance before I continue (or give up).
This show starts off just like the movie Dune where they hardly explain the background and the starting lore of the story. I also felt like giving up on this show until the village part at the end where I became more interested in why those monsters were really attacking the village and who they were.

What I did after though is the same thing I had to do with Dune which was read up on the premise of the story from the books and listened to a couple of videos explaining the lore, and now I'm more interested in this series.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
This show starts off just like the movie Dune where they hardly explain the background and the starting lore of the story. I also felt like giving up on this show until the village part at the end where I became more interested in why those monsters were really attacking the village and who they were.

What I did after though is the same thing I had to do with Dune which was read up on the premise of the story from the books and listened to a couple of videos explaining the lore, and now I'm more interested in this series.
Great comparison with Dune, they really did just drop you guys in there. The hazard in looking up even a general synopsis is of course, risking being spoiled. Either way, glad you're still onboard.

I'm pissed & intrigued right now with what they're doing.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Great comparison with Dune, they really did just drop you guys in there. The hazard in looking up even a general synopsis is of course, risking being spoiled. Either way, glad you're still onboard.

I'm pissed & intrigued right now with what they're doing.
Yeah I am up to speed with the general premise. The only thing I am having trouble understanding is the "Wheel of Time" itself. I'm having trouble understanding how exactly it works, and I'm trying to visualize it but I can't. Seems to complex for some reason, or maybe I'm just did not read enough. The whole "Pattern of Ages", and the "weaving of the threads", shyt is confusing to me.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Yeah I am up to speed with the general premise. The only thing I am having trouble understanding is the "Wheel of Time" itself. I'm having trouble understanding how exactly it works, and I'm trying to visualize it but I can't. Seems to complex for some reason, or maybe I'm just did not read enough. The whole "Pattern of Ages", and the "weaving of the threads", shyt is confusing to me.
There's an overriding belief in reincarnation and fate.

So the Wheel turns & that signifies a new Age (hundreds to thousands of years) and just like on an old fashioned loom, the threads signify the lives/fates of people in the overall Pattern of Life. So every now and then you get special threads that bend other threads around them, which in turn controls the overall Pattern but only for a short time. Those are the ta'veren.

Eventually people are reborn but so much time has elapsed that they don't remember themselves and the rest of the world has forgotten them. Without spoilers, the only exception is the Dragon Reborn whose legend survives the Ages.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps

So the Wheel turns & that signifies a new Age (hundreds to thousands of years) and just like on an old fashioned loom, the threads signify the lives/fates of people in the overall Pattern of Life. So every now and then you get special threads that bend other threads around them, which in turn controls the overall Pattern but only for a short time. Those are the ta'veren.

Eventually people are reborn but so much time has elapsed that they don't remember themselves and the rest of the world has forgotten them. Without spoilers, the only exception is the Dragon Reborn whose legend survives the Ages.
Oh so each age is like a predetermined time period and by the end of age 7 it resets back to age 1?
I'm assuming people like the dark one is the one who wants to disrupt that flow?
The ta'veren is the 4-5 people specifically chosen by the Wheel Of Time to restore balance back to the flow of time or change things about the future?

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!

Does that explain why the mountains at the beginning looked like skyscrapers? Because the world got reset?
:ohhh:

I was actually thinking that maybe this world was post-apocalyptic Earth :dwillhuh:.

Don't even spoil me, I'll keep watching.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Oh so each age is like a predetermined time period and by the end of age 7 it resets back to age 1?
I'm assuming people like the dark one is the one who wants to disrupt that flow?
The ta'veren is the 4-5 people specifically chosen by the Wheel Of Time to restore balance back to the flow of time or change things about the future?
Basically. Just look at the Wheel as being neutral; it weaves the threads of men's lives, good and bad, and the cycle continues without end.

There is a Creator (God) that pushes for the Good in the world, whereas the Dark One (Devil) wants the Wheel broken and to remake the world in his static image. The Dragon is the key piece that decides how it goes with each side and the Wheel itself pulling on him/her.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Yo I'm trying to read this to see what peeps thought of episode 1 and running into MASSIVE spoilers from the book-reading folk. :snoop:

This is the television thread, not the novels thread, why would you do that? :what:

Now from just 2 comments I already know the big Season 1 reveal, who lives and who dies at the end, and a couple major moments. :gucci:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
After finishing Episode 3, I'm interested enough to keep going.
But I actually find it kind of shocking that this is better received than the live action "Cowboy Bebop". I found it easier to get through 10 episodes of that than 3 episodes of this.

Did I miss when they explained what the deal is with the "questioners"? Or is that something that we just have to wait for them to explain later? It seems they are on the "light side", but killing other people on the light side that have powers? Do they serve some kind of overall Emperor or political system? Don't spoil me if it wasn't said, I just want to understand it I missed anything. (I'm not quite clear on the connections between the various city-states and towns). Also, are the people who follow the "dark side" in hiding? Or is it just generally accepted in this society that some people are on the dark side and some are on the light side and they all in general get along unless there's a war?

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@KalKal :jbhmm:honestly all the questions you have will get answer as the show go on but think of the dark as the devil more or less like Mephistopheles:demonic: and the whitecloaks as knights templar who the questioners apart of are a fighting against it. :ld: