The Wheel Of Time - Robert Jordan's Books (Season 2/9.1.23)

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
It seems people that read the books are the ones complaining about this show while the ones who did not read any of the books seem to love it. I am the latter, and this show was been entertaining so far :wow:
I read most of the books and I'm loving it so far. There are a couple of gripes like some unnecessary additions, or some unneeded misdirection, but the cast has been great so far, and they're racing through.

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Good episode
Aram doing it like an Island Boi :skip:
They persistent with this female Dragon shyt huh? :francis:
Some of these Green Aes Sedai down with the choo Choo :mjgrin:
and some of these Warders sus :hhh:
lol @ Nynaeve's braid coming undone in her power up
I like how their handling Mat being influenced by the dagger
Not sure how I feel about Logain but whatever

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
Good episode
Aram doing it like an Island Boi :skip:
They persistent with this female Dragon shyt huh? :francis:
Some of these Green Aes Sedai down with the choo Choo :mjgrin:
and some of these Warders sus :hhh:
lol @ Nynaeve's braid coming undone in her power up
I like how their handling Mat being influenced by the dagger
Not sure how I feel about Logain but whatever
When I saw the zesty Warders :mjlol:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Nynaeve is catching hella bodies. "You won't like her when she's angry."

This misdirection of the Dragon as a plotline is detracting from the story. Every now and then they throw in a line to remind you that you're supposed to be guessing, but come on now. Like Logain, he's not even the right age they've already established, so even throwing a hint his way is time that can be used elsewhere.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
Nynaeve is catching hella bodies. "You won't like her when she's angry."

This misdirection of the Dragon as a plotline is detracting from the story. Every now and then they throw in a line to remind you that you're supposed to be guessing, but come on now. Like Logain, he's not even the right age they've already established, so even throwing a hint his way is time that can be used elsewhere.

Someone going to put a Neg to ya dome about Spoilers.:mjlol:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Eh, I disagree. I thought the plotting in Shadow and Bone was better, and I haven't seen anything from the 1st 3 episodes to really suggest the dialogue/acting is a step up. It hasn't been bad, but nothing has really jumped out at me like say the Crows did in Shadow and Bone.

A lot of the plotting has been them fleeing from one threat to the next so far, with standard fantasy lore sprinkled in. I've heard from book fans as the story develops that the series starts to make it's own mark though and plan to continue watching to see how it develops.

I'm not going to spend a bunch of time shytting on Shadow and Bone, but the resolutions there felt far more amateurish. Like the whole train ride through the evil border should have been some amazing scene, but instead it just went "we're scared....the one breh casually shoots all the bad guys....now we're safe even though the coal shouldn't have been enough." It was so simplistic. We didn't learn anything really other than "breh is a good shot", which we already knew. And I only watched a little past that before giving up but I'm guessing the weight of that gets shrugged off and they just move on to the next thing.

Compare that to the village attack in Episode 1 here. There was so much fukking complexity in that fight and it felt natural. The fight ebbed and flowed, one side had the upper hand and then the other, the turns in fortune felt earned and difficult, everyone was involved and everyone had their moment. We learned important shyt about what each character is capable of and even minor characters got filled out a little. And the stakes were high enough and the losses real enough that 2, 3 episodes later they're still dealing with the fallout of the deaths and injuries incurred.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
I'm not going to spend a bunch of time shytting on Shadow and Bone, but the resolutions there felt far more amateurish. Like the whole train ride through the evil border should have been some amazing scene, but instead it just went "we're scared....the one breh casually shoots all the bad guys....now we're safe even though the coal shouldn't have been enough." It was so simplistic. We didn't learn anything really other than "breh is a good shot", which we already knew. And I only watched a little past that before giving up but I'm guessing the weight of that gets shrugged off and they just move on to the next thing.

Compare that to the village attack in Episode 1 here. There was so much fukking complexity in that fight and it felt natural. The fight ebbed and flowed, one side had the upper hand and then the other, the turns in fortune felt earned and difficult, everyone was involved and everyone had their moment. We learned important shyt about what each character is capable of and even minor characters got filled out a little. And the stakes were high enough and the losses real enough that 2, 3 episodes later they're still dealing with the fallout of the deaths and injuries incurred.

I think you're way overvaluing a scene that was poorly shot. I get they were trying to depict the chaotic nature of the trollock attack, but they were so many cuts in the scene I was :picard: and the magical effects were basic at best. The only death that was surprising was dude's wife, but they barely even established they were together so it didn't mean much to me.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I think you're way overvaluing a scene that was poorly shot. I get they were trying to depict the chaotic nature of the trollock attack, but they were so many cuts in the scene I was :picard: and the magical effects were basic at best. The only death that was surprising was dude's wife, but they barely even established they were together so it didn't mean much to me.

Why are you talking about magic effects and cuts? That has nothing to do with what I said. I was speaking very specifically to plotting decisions.

And I'm not sure why you reduced plot twists to "surprising deaths". I hope we're not judging shyt by the GOT or TWD cheap thrills standard, there's a lot more to good plotting than just regularly killing off characters. In that fight alone, this happened that was new info for the viewer:

* The trader guy is an extra sketch character, he clearly knew that shyt was coming and didn't seem concerned

* Trollocs are quite animalistic more than being rational fighters, they get distracted by the opportunity to tear into some guts

* Matt's dad is some sort of badass who has a special sword that he can battle a Trolloc one-on-one with, plus he has deeper knowledge about shyt going on than the others do

* The Wisdom is a badass

* The Wisdom getting taken away by a Trolloc was a complete shock

* Nygwene is spunky and resourceful, Matt isn't a fighter but he'll risk his life for his sisters moreso than anyone else in his family would, Perrin and his wife are strong and tough

* The death of Perrin's wife was a total shock

* Moiraine is incredibly powerful, but she seems to need to use things around her to work her magic (it doesn't just create shyt out of nothing) and using it takes a lot out of her

* Moiraine's swordsman is some sort of next-level fighter

And all that plot and character development was built into a scene that felt like it had real stakes and ebbs and flows. First it seemed the Trollocs were just gonna ravage them, then the villagers started making their comeback, but then the village losses started adding up and it seemed like the Trollocs were just too many, but Moiraine carried them over the finish line. Those lead changes felt earned, they put in the work.

Again, compare that to the train scene in Shadow and Bone. There was basically just one turn in the action and it didn't feel earned (so all it takes to get through the shadowland is one good gunman?) and virtually nothing was gained for plot/character development other than "well, now they're through!" I wanna leave that point alone now cause like I said I don't want this to turn into "lets shyt on Shadow and Bone", but I wanted to like it and it just felt too YA-level in how basic everything was.

The Wheel of Time is the 3rd sci fi/fantasy series I've tried to get into this year and it's the first one that felt serious enough that I still had high hopes of continuing after 3 episodes. Not to say it won't lose me before the season ends though....

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Why are you talking about magic effects and cuts? That has nothing to do with what I said. I was speaking very specifically to plotting decisions.

And I'm not sure why you reduced plot twists to "surprising deaths". I hope we're not judging shyt by the GOT or TWD cheap thrills standard, there's a lot more to good plotting than just regularly killing off characters. In that fight alone, this happened that was new info for the viewer:

* The trader guy is an extra sketch character, he clearly knew that shyt was coming and didn't seem concerned

* Trollocs are quite animalistic more than being rational fighters, they get distracted by the opportunity to tear into some guts

* Matt's dad is some sort of badass who has a special sword that he can battle a Trolloc one-on-one with, plus he has deeper knowledge about shyt going on than the others do

* The Wisdom is a badass

* The Wisdom getting taken away by a Trolloc was a complete shock

* Nygwene is spunky and resourceful, Matt isn't a fighter but he'll risk his life for his sisters moreso than anyone else in his family would, Perrin and his wife are strong and tough

* The death of Perrin's wife was a total shock

* Moiraine is incredibly powerful, but she seems to need to use things around her to work her magic (it doesn't just create shyt out of nothing) and using it takes a lot out of her

* Moiraine's swordsman is some sort of next-level fighter

And all that plot and character development was built into a scene that felt like it had real stakes and ebbs and flows. First it seemed the Trollocs were just gonna ravage them, then the villagers started making their comeback, but then the village losses started adding up and it seemed like the Trollocs were just too many, but Moiraine carried them over the finish line. Those lead changes felt earned, they put in the work.

Again, compare that to the train scene in Shadow and Bone. There was basically just one turn in the action and it didn't feel earned (so all it takes to get through the shadowland is one good gunman?) and virtually nothing was gained for plot/character development other than "well, now they're through!" I wanna leave that point alone now cause like I said I don't want this to turn into "lets shyt on Shadow and Bone", but I wanted to like it and it just felt too YA-level in how basic everything was.

The Wheel of Time is the 3rd sci fi/fantasy series I've tried to get into this year and it's the first one that felt serious enough that I still had high hopes of continuing after 3 episodes. Not to say it won't lose me before the season ends though....

The cuts refer to how poorly it was shot. The series as a whole hasn't done action well imo, but the last battle in the last episode was an improvement. It was the 1st episode, maybe 2nd that took place. Of course it's going to be new info, I just didn't think it was executed well and so far I haven't felt anything about the show has really sprung to a high level for me. Certainly not on a GOT level or even on a Vikings level, although that wasn't strictly fantasy.

My point about dude killing his wife, was that we barely knew either of them as characters so her dying was :yeshrug:outside of the surprise factor.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I have a couple of issues but i’m a HUGE fan of the books since my teenage years so Might be slightly biased but so far my issues are

-Giving Perrin a pregnant wife. It totally undercuts the importance of a major storyline that will take place later on which I won’t spoil for non book readers. This was a weird choice by the showrunners and i’m surprised that Robert Jordan’s widow (she’s credited as a producer on the series) allowed it.
Also their doing a TERRIBLE job of showing Perrin’s anguish over her death. In the books killing a woman is a BIG deal for the Two Rivers folks and either the actor or the writers are downplaying the significance of it.

-Making Mat a thief. Again, this goes against the core of who the character is. Mat in the books is a rapscallion, rogue, and perhaps a bit of a trickster, but he is NO thief. He has a code he lives by from growing up in the Two Rivers that sets he and the others from his village apart, its what makes them unique. Taking that away from him feels wrong to me.

-The whole “mystery” of who the Dragon Reborn is and it being expanded to include the women. This isn’t some anti-feminist kick i’m on but there’s a BIG reason why The Dragon Reborn cannot be a female, and they already spelled it out in the season’s second episode, so forcing the audience the think that any of the women could be the “chosen one” is disingenuous.

Also it feels like they are going at breakneck speed through certain events of the book. I was hoping, that like Game Of Thrones, they would take their time and let certain events and character developments breathe a little and really build a sense of atmosphere surrounding the world and lore of WOT. But seeing as they only have 8 episodes to get it done I can understand why they made the choice to rush through some things.

Good things I liked

- Thom Merrilon and Lan Madragon are PERFECTLY cast.

-The diversity on the show is welcome

-Chick who plays Moiraine is doing a great job anchoring the narrative

-The music and cinematography are mostly on point