The TRUTH about "Learning to Code" part 2 : Finding an entry-level job is nearly IMPOSSIBLE!

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Yeah this is true. If your starting out 30+ you are in a uphill battle because you will be competing with recent college grads for entry level positions. But if you are already in the industry ageism kind of goes out the window. 30s and up are seniors and managers.

Just a matter of finding a place that will give you a shot. It's a numbers game for sure.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The tech industry is a scam and I'm tired of you, FAANG, and all these youtubers trying to convince people otherwise. Y'all are like evil car salesmen.

Tell me why I did Google's IT Coursera program, got an interview with Google and went through 3 rounds only to not get the job. Mind you I have my certificate stating I'm qualified. This was for an IT APPRENTICESHIP. You mean to tell me I can't get a damn apprenticeship after completing a course in this topic which they created for people to be able to work??? And they constantly repeated that they weren't expecting you to be an expert and they would train you.

THE TECH INDUSTRY IS A SCAM.

If they said what they really wanna say but can't... i.e. "the demand is high for highly skilled and talented well experienced White/Asian male engineers and developers, NOBODY would bother. So they have to lie and give false hope so they can make their money. These bootcamps, colleges, programs are all eating good off lying to everyone about this high demand and promising people jobs. If demand was really high, jobs wouldn't be so hard to get, period.
These companies just aren't re-filling positions after someone leaves. And this has been going on way before the pandemic started. They expect one person to do the job of 3 people now and hence the reason I barely stay put anywhere longer than a year. Because if I learn the job of 2 other people on my team enough to become efficient. The best I can hope for is a cost of living increase when I can go elsewhere and possibly get 10K more per year.

Until more minorities start opening and patronizing each other businesses we'll be at the mercy of the elites. It maybe possible to develop your own ecosystems where you don't really need these huge Corporations anymore. But most people would rather work for someone rather than strike out on their own and work together.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Until more minorities start opening and patronizing each other businesses we'll be at the mercy of the elites. It maybe possible to develop your own ecosystems where you don't really need these huge Corporations anymore. But most people would rather work for someone rather than strike out on their own and work together.

Can't blame em. As time as it takes to be good at programming, you wanna get to the bag ASAP. It takes years to get good, plus more years to get your business off the ground. That's too long

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
It's one thing if you can't cut it, but to go on a personal tirade shytting on the industry because you're not built for it screams weak of mind.

Make no mistake.. this shyt is HARD.. that's why most people quit or get stuck on at entry level jobs like helpdesk because it takes a different level of determination and aptitude to get out of the trenches, if this shyt was easy and anyone could do it, you think they'd be handing out 6 figure salaries for:

Software Engineer
Systems Engineer
Devops Engineer
Site Reliability Engineer
Network Engineer
Cloud Engineer

Nah... there's no free lunch. No employer is gonna put you in a position that affects their bottom line without a proven track record.

Do you have any idea what it's like to be the point of contact for a company wide impacting event? That 6 figure salary you want them to pay you? ...yeah they're hemorrhaging that every few minutes while you're trying to figure out the root cause and how to get the company back to normal operation while your boss is requesting status updates and an ETR every 30 mins because the C-Suite is at his neck. Now you got all these different teams on a conference call trying to figure out who fukked up, and they're gonna be asking you questions that you wont be able to google the answers to. That's where experience comes in. Have you ever worked under that kind of pressure? Do you even want that responsibility? And yeah it may seem like people at the top do a lot less grunt work than the juniors/mid/entry, but when you get to that level companies don't pay you for how much grunt work you're able to do, they pay your for what you know.. it's a security thing.. they have a person or a team of people that can get the company out of a disaster in x amount minutes/hours, vs x amount of days. That's why they pay for experience.. that's what experience gets you.

The other side of it is time/efficiency.. you can pay a lot less for a team of shytty developers that takes twice as long to complete a half baked project or you can pony up the $$ and get it done right and once(a lot of managers are retarded though, especially when that money affects their bonuses. I've see this shyt happen one too many times). Also, people with experience know their worth and are able to turn down what may seem like great paying jobs. That amazon wish list of a job description that you're only trying to pay $150k/yr for.. yeah, good luck with that. You're gonna need another $50k before anyone who's really proficient in half that list even begins to entertain applying for that job. The person who can check all those boxes? They're a rockstar at a FAANG making double/triple that as a base plus stock options and bonuses, and that may seem like a wild number, but the amount of time and sacrifices it took to get to that level.. the compensation in raw $$ is probably still not enough.

Like I said.. this shyt is HARD. It's ok if you can't cut it.. most people won't be able to. And this is such a broad field.. I hate when people get stuck on a single discipline.. I have little doubt there's something in this field that you'll be good at that will still afford you a decent living with less effort compared to those in-demand or hot job titles.

Just quit with the defeatist shyt and stop trying to discourage others breh.. get back on your grind.

Last edited:

momma

All Star
Daps
Dropping this post in here

I'm a software dev at a major bank and I think you're both right and wrong about certain things. The track isn't the same for every job and person - a software engineer level 1 or 2 requires significantly more experience and qualifications than a junior / entry level role, and without at least 2 years of work experience, the road becomes tough to land anything more than a junior role. Double that if you're job searching in a major tech city like SF or NYC. But that's not exactly a high barrier, it's just the requirements of the job. You can work on all these bootcamps, side projects, and courses you need to but it doesn't equate to real working experience as part of a team and organization. So you don't necessarily need to have extensive experience with a dozen worth of technologies, but you do need to demonstrate that you either possess the ability to learn and passion for the work if you want to land something junior, or that you have the relevant field experience to be a dependable employee. Having a lot of diversity on your resume isn't specific to demonstrating those advantages.

One thing you should also note is that the field skews towards upper income backgrounds. The easiest path to getting a job is to be recruited out of college and/or get interviews through connections, and the top companies only recruit out of the highly ranked, and in parallel the most expensive and white, universities. And getting connections is tougher if you're not in a major tech hub city.

I don't know where you're job searching and what your work experience looks like but if it's under a year and you're not fresh out of college, the key should be to look in a smaller city and be more open to taking lower paying, less reputed jobs for the experience. Then make sure you do and learn as much as you can so you can level up to the next job.

The demand is there though, and you don't need to have senior level experience to find a job. But you do need at least some extensive work experience. It's really not that complicated

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
To me, tech careers are like professional sports.

Once you have the baseline level of talent, you've got a shot to get in the door. HOWEVER, just showing up to practice and games isn't enough. You have to do the extra stuff. The successful folks (maybe I'm wrong) do side and personal projects, learn new languages etc., to stay sharp. Same way a pro athlete has to watch film, hit the weight room and eat a clean diet.

No... you are not wrong at all.
Everything bolded is fax on fax

I dont know anyone at my current level who isn't doing side things to expand their knowledge base

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
No... you are not wrong at all.
Everything bolded is fax on fax

I dont know anyone at my current level who isn't doing side things to expand their knowledge base

I wonder if these cats ever heard of github.......

That will tell me everything I need to know

brandy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I lowkey wanna see their resume. Sometimes it isn't your skills but how you present them to others.

I am about to finish my MA. I plan on going on the job market in Jan/Feb, but I have already started talking to recruiters, networking with different people, and getting my name out there. It's hard, but you gotta get innovative, and don't be afraid to yourself in a temporary uncomfortable position. (Currently doing an internship with a company that I hate while maintaining school work)

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The tech industry is a scam and I'm tired of you, FAANG, and all these youtubers trying to convince people otherwise. Y'all are like evil car salesmen.

Tell me why I did Google's IT Coursera program, got an interview with Google and went through 3 rounds only to not get the job. Mind you I have my certificate stating I'm qualified. This was for an IT APPRENTICESHIP. You mean to tell me I can't get a damn apprenticeship after completing a course in this topic which they created for people to be able to work??? And they constantly repeated that they weren't expecting you to be an expert and they would train you.
You're competing with other people. So, they found someone they liked better. Go get some more experience and apply again later. Are you talking about IT or software engineering or both?

If you were good enough to interview at Google, you could interview and get hired somewhere else.

The Internet isn't going anywhere, so discouraging brehs from pursuing tech careers is awful. I said in the other thread that technical knowledge can lead to a wide range of roles; from IT to project management to product design to something in Sales.

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
We choose to code in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

A question a guy asked me during the first few days of college.

Him: Do you have a girlfriend?

Me: Nope.

Him: You don't have one or you don't want one?

I will never accept someone saying something is too hard. You simply don't want it enough. I especially will not push such discouraging and dissuading narratives the OP is pushing to a majority black forum.

You used a JFK quote about people going to the moon as if people were inspired to be astronauts from his quote. Coding is overrated

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
It's one thing if you can't cut it, but to go on a personal tirade shytting on the industry because you're not built for it screams weak of mind.

Make no mistake.. this shyt is HARD.. that's why most people quit or get stuck on at entry level jobs like helpdesk because it takes a different level of determination and aptitude to get out of the trenches, if this shyt was easy and anyone could do it, you think they'd be handing out 6 figure salaries for:

Software Engineer
Systems Engineer
Devops Engineer
Site Reliability Engineer
Network Engineer
Cloud Engineer

Nah... there's no free lunch. No employer is gonna put you in a position that affects their bottom line without a proven track record.

Do you have any idea what it's like to be the point of contact for a company wide impacting event? That 6 figure salary you want them to pay you? ...yeah they're hemorrhaging that every few minutes while you're trying to figure out the root cause and how to get the company back to normal operation while your boss is requesting status updates and an ETR every 30 mins because the C-Suite is at his neck. Now you got all these different teams on a conference call trying to figure out who fukked up, and they're gonna be asking you questions that you wont be able to google the answers to. That's where experience comes in. Have you ever worked under that kind of pressure? Do you even want that responsibility? And yeah it may seem like people at the top do a lot less grunt work than the juniors/mid/entry, but when you get to that level companies don't pay you for how much grunt work you're able to do, they pay your for what you know.. it's a security thing.. they have a person or a team of people that can get the company out of a disaster in x amount minutes/hours, vs x amount of days. That's why they pay for experience.. that's what experience gets you.

The other side of it is time/efficiency.. you can pay a lot less for a team of shytty developers that takes twice as long to complete a half baked project or you can pony up the $$ and get it done right and once(a lot of managers are retarded though, especially when that money affects their bonuses. I've see this shyt happen one too many times). Also, people with experience know their worth and are able to turn down what may seem like great paying jobs. That amazon wish list of a job description that you're only trying to pay $150k/yr for.. yeah, good luck with that. You're gonna need another $50k before anyone who's really proficient in half that list even begins to entertain applying for that job. The person who can check all those boxes? They're a rockstar at a FAANG making double/triple that as a base plus stock options and bonuses, and that may seem like a wild number, but the amount of time and sacrifices it took to get to that level.. the compensation in raw $$ is probably still not enough.

Like I said.. this shyt is HARD. It's ok if you can't cut it.. most people won't be able to. And this is such a broad field.. I hate when people get stuck on a single discipline.. I have little doubt there's something in this field that you'll be good at that will still afford you a decent living with less effort compared to those in-demand or hot job titles.

Just quit with the defeatist shyt and stop trying to discourage others breh.. get back on your grind.
Excellent fukking post.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
I'm a defeatist for actually telling mfs the truth about the industry :comeon:

I should've just lived up to my name and said some generic bullshyt like "now's the best time more than ever to learn how to code :krs::krs::krs:" so I could get all the daps huh..

JAY?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queens
/ Thread

Also come join coli skilled trade brehs and get out of that entry level position HELL.

As long as I'm an electrician I will never work an entry-level position again.

Have you seen a shift in the cables being used to run to power to lights? I do low voltage and i can see cat6 cable taking over a large portion of your trade. I can power 48 separate lighting fixtures over poe off of 1 outlet.

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
Have you seen a shift in the cables being used to run to power to lights? I do low voltage and i can see cat6 cable taking over a large portion of your trade. I can power 48 separate lighting fixtures over poe off of 1 outlet.

Yep it's going that way.